Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help to diagnose FTE Problem

robot

Latest match video. Shot this 195rnd match yesterday and had a bunch of FTEs. Not entirely sure what the problem is, gun is a 38 super comp loaded with 124gr MG CMJ, 10.2gr N105, Starline brass + WSRP. Never had ejection problems after getting an extractor and ejector fitted but this is the first time it was shot in a match.

Was running an 8lb recoil spring, switched to a 9lb after the first malfunction, problem didn't go away.

I suspect my thumb was riding the slide, slowing it down. What do you think?

here's how the FTE-ed brass looks like :

wp_001617_thumb.jpg?w=500&h=375

and some screen captures of the FTEs can be seen on my blog post here : http://gunbot.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/ftes-galore/. here's one :

fte05_thumb.jpg?w=500&h=571

you can see very clearly that my thumb is contacting the slide, perhaps a little too much. What would be the most likely problem?

Dumb question perhaps, but is it only on a certain mag?

Mine does that on one of my big sticks. Tracked it down to the lips were a tad wide in front and it was feeding too soon - if that makes any sense. Tightened the dimension a bit and all is well.

Aside from that its probably the gun - send it to me and that will eliminate the problem :roflol:

I had one 38 super gun with similar problem. It would shoot fine doing slow firing but at match speed it would choke. Area 4 for example. The ejector I had was to short. Installed a longer tuned brazos ejector and problem solved. I'd also check the extractor tension possibly too loose. It looks like the the empty round is getting pushed up by the next round in the mag not allowing it to fully be engaged by the ejector.

Edited by JRBean

Check the tension on your extractor I was having the same problem, I adjusted the extractor and the problem went away. I have a sideways mount on mine but I was getting the same chewed up brass, until I tightened the extractor up.

Thanks guys! Definitely count on you to head me down the right direction.

Gun was built a long time ago by a local gunsmith. I'm having JPL look at the extractor and ejector tomorrow.

The Serendipity scope works fine and is definitely not blocking the ejection port. The ejection port is way way behind the scope mount.

One thing was really clear though after shooting that match, I need a SLIDE RACKER!!

From watching the video it looks like the brass is hitting the bottom of the scope as it is not ejecting out to the side but down and it look like a few are even hitting you hand. Check and see if there are ding on the bottom of the scoope to comfirm.

MDA

Thanks guys! Definitely count on you to head me down the right direction.

Gun was built a long time ago by a local gunsmith. I'm having JPL look at the extractor and ejector tomorrow.

The Serendipity scope works fine and is definitely not blocking the ejection port. The ejection port is way way behind the scope mount.

One thing was really clear though after shooting that match, I need a SLIDE RACKER!!

if you get a slide racker then get a thumbshield to take your thumb out of the equation. if i have less than a 9 lb spring my gun doesnt go into battery if my thumb rubs. and i run a 7lb spring. my other open gun has a racker and thumb guard and i dont have to worry at all

Looks like the brass is hitting the bottom of you C-More. Also remove your extractor and clean it and the extractor opening. Might be just enough gunk in the extractor opening to cause the extractor to bind. Also make sure there is enough tension on the extractor, might need a little tuning.

If you are running a 9 lb spring or less and your thumb contacts that is just enough to interrupt the cycle process. You can install a krebbs thumb guard or swennson safety. That should fix the issue.

On my Open Steel gun, I run a 6lb spring and I was rubbing the slide some. I put a thumb shield on there (from Brazo's, Krebs style) and it really helped. I didn't like the way it felt at first but I'm use to it now. I'm getting a swenson put on my 9Major gun now and hope I like that one.

Any updates on checking the scope hits? Can you take a video at the range facing the breech face and shoot until it happens? If it doesn't happen during that time, then you are probably subconsciously rubbing the slide during the heat of the stage. Let us know...

When my gun was jamming like that and leaving brass with similar marks I had an extractor that was too loose and letting the brass slip out before it could be ejected cleanly.

But ejecting too high and bouncing off the scope will do a similar thing as well. John should get it running though.

Extractor/Ejector issue! First: If the extractor is an AFTEC, replace the two springs with new ones. If it is not an AFTEC---get one! (2) Check to see if ejector is extended. IF not, get one.

I would bet your problem is extractor tension (to loose), or it has developed a chip on the edge of the extractor hook.

• 2 weeks later...

It's fixed.

Extractor was a hair too long and was bumping against the barrel as the slide was going into battery, causing the claw to lose it's grip once in a while. Gunsmith found some peening on the extractor claw, shaved it, rebevelled and we're in business!

150rounds this Sunday and not a single problem, except for the shooter of course ;)