Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kyle,

I bought a 2011 GTI brand new with 30 miles on it in may. My wife has a 2010 Passat. Her car has been absolutely flawless. Gets about 34mpg on the freeway at 75mph in 100*heat and the air on.

My first GTI was a lemon. All sorts of issues that they couldn't sort out. Needless to say, I have a 2nd GTI which I got about 45 days ago. Flawless.

I drove the Jetta Sportwagen TDI and the Golf TDI before I bought the GTI. Both are extremely torquey and fun to drive. Not brutal fast, but shockingly quick. The VW diesel is supposedly very reliable. I would buy one.

With that said, VW puts a lot of technology in their cars.... and sometimes I wonder if they would be a little less quirky if they were simpler.

My GTI has a top shelf interior that I'd put against most any car.

I don't know what they are like now but, the old ones were not for me. Once had a VW Dasher wagon, four speed(diesel). The most powerless piece of crap I have ever owned. Then, a VW mechanic convinced me it needed rings and a valve job. When he was done he said the cam belt looked good, so he put it back on. Two days later the belt broke, traveling north on 33 between Canal Winchester and Columbus. It had an "interferance head", meaning when the cam belt broke the valves collided with the pistons. Cha ching again!

Once it was running, AGAIN, I discovered it had no more power than when I first purchased it. But, kept driving it trying to recoupe my investment. It was no more than six months before the starter died. A used starter could not be found. Lord knows I tried, because a new one was over three hundred dollars.

I bought a truck and that VW sat by the garage for three months, in hopes a used starter would turn up. Then, I called Brocks and told them they could have it if they would come and get it.

Don't tell me anything about German engineering! :angry:

Edited by Reshoot

New or older cars?

I have a 2003 Jetta TDI, it has 125K miles and just got 48.5 mpg on on the 1400 mile round trip to Parma. I Golf is not much different and the TDI engines are all the same.

For comparison my brother in-law has an 2011 Jetta TDI, it is a bigger fancier car with more power and gets 35 +/- in city and he says the best mileage he's seen on a long highway drive was about 42mpg.

I have a highly modified Mark4 GTI and love it. I worked for Volkswagen, Porsche and Audi for a lot of years, the old diesels were pretty basic and pretty gutless. Diesels love turbo's and the newer ones are very good cars, everybody I know that has one loves it. Their are forums dedicated to VW Diesels and I think VWVortex has a diesel section.

Tim

New or older cars?

I am wide open.

I read (on a forum) that getting a TDI that is just a few years old is a bust...as they command a close enough price to new that you might as well go new and get the full warranty.

At 125k, you are probably on your second timing belt? How are other things holding up?

New or older cars?

I am wide open.

I read (on a forum) that getting a TDI that is just a few years old is a bust...as they command a close enough price to new that you might as well go new and get the full warranty.

At 125k, you are probably on your second timing belt? How are other things holding up?

The timing belt was replaced at 90K, the recommended interval along with both tensioners, timing belt rollers, water pump and serpentine belt. It runs great, I love that little car. All the power stuff still works fine, I replaced the rear brakes (rotors and pads) at 115K, fronts are still good and have never been replaced since I've owned it. My car had one owner before me and had all the recommended maintenance done at the dealer prior to me buying it. If it just didn't have 2 nice 45 cal dents from bullets that bounced off steel when it was parked at the range :angry2:

The only real problem was a mounting ear on the block broke off a month ago while teaching my 15 year old to drive a clutch (think it was too many rough stalls). I was ready to commit hari-kari but found that it's not uncommon and there is a $50 kit to fix it. Mine did not break so bad that the engine mount came completely off allowing the timing belt and gear to hit the mount. I found the problem on mine because one of the fans started hitting an A/C line (the cars a packages pretty tight to start so when the engine moved 1/4 inch it made contact). I also pulled the intake at the same to clean out the soot but it wasn't necessary as it wasn't clogged up. The whole thing was a 1 day DIY job.

They are a pain to work on if something major happens (timing belt, radiator, turbo) but fortunately I have not had to fix any of those things. Maintenance is easy and the recommended oil change is every 10K miles.

I've been lurking on the TDI forum where there's a wealth of info on these cars.

They are pricey these days even for used ones. I paid $12,000 for mine 3 years ago with 45K on it and KBB says its worth $13,000 today with 125K. My brother in-law's car was around $28,000 new.

ok technology engines, over designed and too maqny gadgets in the rest of the car that tend to fall apart around the engines. The first time you need an even basic repair the price of the parts will eliminate any savings you had on gas,, Just go to an advance auto and price a starter, or brake disc, and compare it to a US made vehicle.

I have a highly modified Mark4 GTI and love it. I worked for Volkswagen, Porsche and Audi for a lot of years, the old diesels were pretty basic and pretty gutless. Diesels love turbo's and the newer ones are very good cars, everybody I know that has one loves it. Their are forums dedicated to VW Diesels and I think VWVortex has a diesel section.

Tim

Tim...and Modified....ANYTHING. You are THE skunkworks dude!

I miss your basement Glocksmithworks.

Patrick

I was considering buying a Golf TDI. I've never seen VW offer 0% on the TDI model. They offered it for the gas version (0% for 60 mo). Did the math and it came out the I would have had to have driven the TDI 140-160,000 mi before I could make up the difference between the lower cost of the gas engined Golf (lower purchase price and savings in financing) with the savings in fuel cost with the TDI.

And as mentioned, the cost in repairing a German car is generally greater than repairing a like American and Japanese car.

But given that... I have a strong desire to buy a Jetta Sportwagen TDI.

Oh about 6 months back I started a thread here complaining that no one else makes a four banger turbo diesel except for VW.

I've been jonesing for one since I first heard that people are getting a for real 45 to 50 mpg.

Which would be better than the 13 to 15 mpg that my F150 gets.

In that other thread I probably also mentioned a guy

I met at a party who makes his own biodisel for just 62 cents a gallon.

Kyle, have tried Craig's list yet?

One thing worth mentioning is that VW has changed. We've had 4 of them and the cars of the past aren't anywhere near the cars they're turning out now. Even with the gremlin in my first GTI, the car was Mercedes quiet, doors closed with a solid clunk, and all the "stuff" has a high quality feel to it.

The technology integration is quiet convenient. When I get in the phone, my iphone instantly works thru the bluetooth, even while and ipod is plugged in (and charging!) thru the stereo. The voice recognition dialing worked perfectly without requiring any 'learning'. Hit the button and say "Call, Money, Flex on Mobile phone" and it works.

The other thing that I like is that they are working on improving... not borrowing money from the government and going bankrupt. ph34r.gif

I work in the VW plant in Chattanooga, Tn.

The new American built 2012 Passats are rolling off the assembly lines now and should be available at dealers this month.

Guys, check out this car.

It is the best bargain in the automotive market.

I can't believe a car this nice is going to sell at the $20,000 price point.

VW is the number 3 automaker world wide and has made a commitment to get to No.1.

The new plant and new car is part of that strategy to make gains in the US market.

I think they are insuring that this strategy succeeds by under pricing the car.

It is available with a diesel and has received good reviews in the automotive press.

Tls

Seth,,when you move to SC. you must not let any redneck see you driving a VW,,you must buy a birg red 4-wheel drive with lights and big tires,,I'll check on one for you.. :roflol:

I have had LOTS of big 4WDs. I'm not feeding them anymore.

The rednecks, hillbillys and judgmental folks will have plenty to feast on anyway with me... The car is just a bonus!roflol.gifroflol.gifroflol.gif

Good luck on the hunt there Kyle. I have been shopping for the same type vehicle in a 300 mile radius for just about a year now. They are hard to find because nobody gets rid of them and when they do pop up you had better be quick.

I have a 2005 Golf TDI w/ 251k (160mi round trip daily commute). It's been relatively problem free. The biggest problem I had was with the turbo. One of the blades on the impeller decided to let go at 140k.

My car was probably put together on a Friday right before quitting time. Random bolts and pieces of plastic surface every time I do a major cleaning of the car. I've had little rattles since the car was new that the dealer couldn't solve. However, mechanically she's been pretty solid. I put a mild chip in the car after the turbo was replaced. It doesn't scream but she'll get out of her own way.

My biggest gripe it with the VW dealers. When I bought my car they had the worst reputation in the industry. It was painful to have them fix anything. I was told that VW dealers received the lowest reimbursement rate for warranty work so most of they tried their best to avoid it.

I'd really need to think long and hard before buying another new TDI. I can live with the OK initial build quality but I'd have reservations about having to deal with their service departments again. It sounds like they've gone to a BMW style maintenance program where they will do all the maintenance and repairs for the life of the warranty so maybe VWoA has finally gotten their act together and is trying to win back customer loyalty.

I was kind of put off by VW when my neighbor had one. He liked the car OK, but when his coolant got low he put some in from the local Autozone that was supposed to be universal. It ate his hoses up and had to have a major repair done after that. It seems coolant and some other fluids are proprietary to VW so you will always have to use their brand.

Good luck on the hunt there Kyle. I have been shopping for the same type vehicle in a 300 mile radius for just about a year now. They are hard to find because nobody gets rid of them and when they do pop up you had better be quick.

Yeah, that Golf TDI ... especially hard to find.

I'm in no great hurry. My bike is my daily ride and it gets 52mpg. cool.gif

These diesels are at a premium, it seems. I might not drive enough miles to justify the cost difference over gas. (Plus I am spending a bunch of $$ on a fancy range toy ...that could be used for a down payment. ;) )

I do like the idea of a good diesel though.

==========

Thanks for the info everybody....and please keep it coming! cheers.gif

I manage a shop that specializes in European vehicles - we see quite a few TDI's. The older TDI's were great motors, and when they switched to the PD (pumpe duse)motor, they ran into some massive teething issues (camshaft wear problems due to metallurgy/coating problems, balance shaft assemblies needing an update from chain to gear drive, injector issues, and more), so I would avoid those (around the '04-05 model years). Not entirely sure if they've resolved all the issues with the PD's - we do not see the new ones until they come off warranty.

Flex,

I bought a 2010 VW Jetta TDI Thanksgiving last year, and I love the thing. 6 spd (I hate the concept of a transmission designed to slip and while I know the DSG is different, I prefer simpler mechanics - and I'm used to driving a stick). The 2011 is supposed to have a bunch of body - materials changes, etc., but at the time, the only 2011 TDI was the wagon - and my choice was wagon with auto, or sedan with 6 speed...

3yr/30k maintenance included + a lifetime powertrain if the car is maintained and documented. It's not a racecar, sometimes you need to plan acceleration for passing at highway speeds - but it'll pull through the virginia / wv mountains at 75 mph+ without thinking of coming out of 6th gear. I had just done this and was at a rest stop when I PM'd you last month about the matches. Plus, you really can't beat the 110v outlet in the pedestal when you are a geek like me - I charge my entire office during the trip. I average 42mpg through all sorts of driving, and here - the difference between regular and diesel is about 10% My passat was awesome at 30mpg (v6)and I'm getting about 40% more mpg - it's win for me. The trunk space is enormous for a car this size.

VWs are expensive to maintain - that is the parts are expensive. Though, my 2002 Passat was pretty good about parts. I put 3 sets of brakes on it, tie rod ends, CV boots were a pain, but it's cheaper just to replace the axle. (180). I finally had to replace my control arms after 160k and cats (I think the gas shortage and running regular unleaded did them in) but it's got the original clutch and there are no engine/trans issues what so ever.

The handling is the other reason I love these cars. You know how it is - you get caught too fast on an approaching turn on an unfamiliar road. Never an issue. In fact, the guy on the test drive showed me this - the Jetta will turn in circles on a two lane road, no more 3 point turns when you miss the turn off at the range. :)

I've always said, though, with VW you either get yourself a great car - or you get a horrible car. They do have enough stories about issues out there, but that's what the lemon law is for, no?

I have 15k miles on the Jetta without an issue other than a burnt tail light. I've got 3 VW in the driveway right now. When I was looking at it - you really can't find a hybrid or other high mileage car, that is as nice, handles as good, for the 23k I spent.

"VWs are expensive to maintain - that is the parts are expensive. Though, my 2002 Passat was pretty good about parts. I put 3 sets of brakes on it, tie rod ends, CV boots were a pain, but it's cheaper just to replace the axle. (180). I finally had to replace my control arms after 160k and cats (I think the gas shortage and running regular unleaded did them in) but it's got the original clutch and there are no engine/trans issues what so ever." :surprise:

umm all that in 160k ? I wouldnt exactly call that well made and reliable, Thats more parts than I changed in my last 3 F150's combined all of which had 180,000 plus miles when I sold them,

umm all that in 160k ? I wouldnt exactly call that well made and reliable, Thats more parts than I changed in my last 3 F150's combined all of which had 180,000 plus miles when I sold them,

I KNOW you didn't just refer to a ford truck as reliable....

Wanna explain why my SuperDuty puked a 4R100 trans afer 55k miles to the tune of $4700? Or the 6.0L turbos that would self destruct ..... or the late model 150s that would shake inexplicably at 45mph and required a "frame weight".....

Let be reasonable. ALL car manufacturers build some garbage. At least the VAG didn't require a government bailout.