Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Mags for a STI 1911 Trojan in 9mm

ichetucknee

I'm curious as to what mags STI Trojan 9mm shooters use that have 10 rounds or better. I tried Cobra mags but they wouldn't load the first round reliably. I've heard that 38 super mags work well but I don't have any experience with them.

You must be using JHP's? I've been running Tripps and just got some Dawson's as well which I ran today. No problem with FMJ's or CMJ's for me. I haven't tried JHP's in the Dawsons yet. Here is the video from todays match.

I'm curious as to what mags STI Trojan 9mm shooters use that have 10 rounds or better. I tried Cobra mags but they wouldn't load the first round reliably. I've heard that 38 super mags work well but I don't have any experience with them.

Wilson ETM, worked great in my Trojan.

When you say the first round won't load reliably, can you be more specific? Are you getting nose dives? Depending on the type of issue, that will let the folks on here figure things out a little faster and help you more. The more detail you can provide, the easier it is to find a cause and offer a remedy.

Metalform and Colt 38 super mags nose dive for me with more than 7 rounds in them.

Metalform 10rd Elite and 9rd "Springfield front ramp) mags are the only mags that have fed flawlessly in my 9mm 1911. Locking the slide back is another story. They all need tuned for that.

Tripp mags run great with Lead flatpoints and 147gr Montana Gold CMJ's, but for me, wont feed the first or 2nd round reliably with 124gr JHP's.

When you say the first round won't load reliably, can you be more specific? Are you getting nose dives? Depending on the type of issue, that will let the folks on here figure things out a little faster and help you more. The more detail you can provide, the easier it is to find a cause and offer a remedy.

Thanks. They nose dive.

We've had pretty good success with the Dawsons (if you need 10 rounds). If 9 is enough for ya, The Springfield/Leatham/Metalform mags are pretty good also.

I have the Dawson 9 round mags. I bought them several years ago when I bought the pistol. They work fine, except for the time when the floor plate fell off during a match and dumped 7 rounds on the ground. Dawson replaced it, no problem. Maybe I should try their 10 rounders.

I've been trying to run Tripp 10 rounders in my STI Spartan, and having consistent double-feeds. After calling Tripp and speaking to Virgil himself, he said that some guns require the feed lips closed from .325" to about .310" to avoid letting rounds spill during reloads. I have modded the mags, and will try them later this week to see if they remedy the issue.

I have to add that Mr. Tripp was absolutely the most informed, pleasant fellow to speak with. He took the time to describe to me all the challenges involved in getting a 9MM to feed correctly, and before telling me how to do the mods, he flatly stated that there was NO risk for me; he would be ready to replace/refund the magazines at any time. Class act, for sure.

Larry

Not to bum anyone out, but I've yet to see a 9mm 1911 that will really honest-to-goodness load reliably from slide-lock that hasn't had it's feed-ramp re-cut to a shallower angle.

I got pretty close to 98%-reliable using Wilson ETM's in a Trojan using FMJ exclusively, but I would still get a nose dive every now and then (usually in a match). In IDPA I started loading 9 instead of 10 and that was a lot more reliable, in USPSA SSTK loading 10 I would put a drop of FP-10 directly on the feed-ramp in the safe area between stages and that worked out fairly well, also load as long as your chamber will allow you to get away with...

Seriously, if you have the loot, stop fighting with mags and have Mr. Tripp re-cut your feed-ramp to less-steep more short-OAL-friendly angle like he does for SSTK .40's and it'll run like a Glock... the loading/nose-dive issues come from running a shorter-OAL round in a platform designed for a longer-OAL round, good mags help, but they can't overcome space and time...

I run Tripp 10 round mags in my 1911 9mm Loaded Springfield with absolutely no problems. I don't run JHPs' because they are a problem in most 1911s'. No problems with FMJ factory ammo or handloads. Running an OAL of 1.142 on reloads. 1.15 OAL or less with factory ammo. Also run the same 9mm handloads in my STI Open for steel plate without any problems.

Seriously, if you have the loot, stop fighting with mags and have Mr. Tripp re-cut your feed-ramp to less-steep more short-OAL-friendly angle like he does for SSTK .40's and it'll run like a Glock... the loading/nose-dive issues come from running a shorter-OAL round in a platform designed for a longer-OAL round, good mags help, but they can't overcome space and time...

+1 - Tripp only charges $80 to work his magic - he did it to my .40 Trojan and now it runs perfectly...unlike me. :roflol:

The biggest cost in sending it to Virgil is the shipping - about $150 round trip. But seriously, it's money well spent...