Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan - .40 S&W - WHAT MAGS?

38SuperDub

So - I have decided to buy an STI Trojan in .40 S&W to shoot SS with (doing this so I can load 1 caliber vs 2) - the question is - guys that have them - what mags do you use? Do you find they need a lot of work to run reliable?

Thanks

Brandon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilson 10mm. They run fine in my Trojan. I haven't had to do anything to my magazines except keep them clean. The gun itself has run great right out of the box.

Welcome to SS! :cheers:

Edited by sirveyr

So the Wilson 10mm mags will allow me to load long correct? The game plan is to find a round that makes major and runs great in both my 2011 and my Trojan...

Yes, you can load long. the 45 mags let you load long as well. I load to 1.18, and shoot the same load it my limited gun and the Trojan. The only issue is that my limited barrel is a little shorter, so the load is a little hotter out of the Trojan. If you had the same barrel length you should be golden.

Matt

Hmm - so either 45 or 10mm mags will do me just fine? as long as I can get around 1.18ish I will be great - this will let me work a load in my 2011 and the Trojan and I can be a 1 load wonder - both are 5" barrels so that should be perfect-o

I use the 7 round 45 mags from Springfield Armory. They run 100% in mine ( I have 3 SS 1911 40 cal )

They hold 8 rounds of 40. You do not have to count,just fill them up. They cost about 12 to 14 bucks ea

Kevin

Not sure if this is still true, but my Trojan in .40 Magazine Catch wasn't compatible with my CMC or Wilson 10MM Magazines as it held the magazines to high in the pistol. Perhaps that issue has been addressed by now.

Hey Brandon,

I've used several diff mags with success...Wilson .45 and 10mm worked great but didnt consistently lock the slide back, Tripp .40 (cant load too long)

But heres the hot rod set up:

Tripp 10mm mags with a Tripp .45 'Hybrid' follower.

Works flawlessly, locks back the slide every time, takes a long load.

I learned it here on Enos from one of the SS gurus (Steel1212, I think)

I shoot a Trojan in L10 with Tripp mags and load long. I shoot 2 versions one is SS legal these are the system mags they hold 10 rds and they were 40S&W with the spacer in the back, but wouldn't let me load long so I pulled the spacers out and ran them like that until I sent them back and they put the 10mm follower's in them. The others are full length 10rd

mags with the 45 Hybrid follower. If I were you I would give Aaron a call at Tripp and he can give the best answer. And just a note they have the best customer service around. They took absolute care of me.

Hey Brandon,

I've used several diff mags with success...Wilson .45 and 10mm worked great but didnt consistently lock the slide back, Tripp .40 (cant load too long)

But heres the hot rod set up:

Tripp 10mm mags with a Tripp .45 'Hybrid' follower.

Works flawlessly, locks back the slide every time, takes a long load.

I learned it here on Enos from one of the SS gurus (Steel1212, I think)

Make sure when you order the system mags that you tell them you want the hybrid follower. Trust me I've run every mag out there and this mag is by far the best. It always locks back un like some. Is tuff as nails. The folks down there know how to take care of a customer as well. Do yourself a favor and either get a egw raised mag catch, it's what I'm using right now, or a SVI raised mag catch, it's what I want to try. It helps to keep the nose dive prone .40 from nose diving by getting it in the chamber sooner.

+1 on the Tripp mags. I have used the .40 Tripp mags in both the 9 & 10 rounders and did have my gun tuned by Virgil Tripp himself. If I had to do it over again, I would probably run Tripp 10mm mags to load longer as others have suggested. But your best bet is to call Tripp and talk to either Aaron or Virgil - you really won't find better customer service. Heck, during their move Vigil called me from the road to check in my pistol!

You're going to love the Trojan!