Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bayou bullet 9mm 135 - with N320 or titegroup

9mmalpha

hi .. I just got this nice bullet I heard lots of great things about it. did anyone had experience loading 135grain 9mm bayou with either n-320 or titegroup

also

im looking for its load for 147 grain bullet Im trying to findout which will be best / Im going to shoot glock 34. my reloader dies are set to 1.135 oal. any recommended load will be appreciated. thanks

3.2gr Titegroup @ 1.085". This load runs 935 fps out of my CZ75. 925 fps makes minor with the 135gr bullet. The 1.085" length is just .010" shy of the rifling in my CZ barrel. CZ barrels are known for their rifling starting earlier than other makes. Even at this short length, there is still .356" of bullet diameter present at my case mouth. Nice feel to the load with very little smoke despite the hot burning Titegroup powder. These Bayou Bullets are a winner for me. They are the only coated cast bullest that leaves both my CZ and 1911 barrels absolutely free of fouling.

Edited by gigamortis

3.2gr Titegroup @ 1.085". This load runs 935 fps out of my CZ75. 925 fps makes minor with the 135gr bullet. The 1.085" length is just .010" shy of the rifling in my CZ barrel. CZ barrels are known for their rifling starting earlier than other makes. Even at this short length, there is still .356" of bullet diameter present at my case mouth. Nice feel to the load with very little smoke despite the hot burning Titegroup powder. These Bayou Bullets are a winner for me. They are the only coated cast bullest that leaves both my CZ and 1911 barrels absolutely free of fouling.

You forgot to mention that the CZ Mag is also short. My Shadow will go about 1.160 with the 135gr Bayou, well not all CZ's are created equally. To be honest I have not Cronoed my 135gr Bayou's but I know they are plenty too hot at 3.6gr of N320, set at 1.145 steel drops like a rock. I much prefer N320 over TiteGroup, even if it hurts my a@@ for the extra wallet bite. I won a bunch of TiteGroup, sold off most of it, now what to do with the rest of it. Maybe I'll load up some at 3.2 behind some Bayou 135gr and shoot it up, just have to get more Brake Cleaner to wash it out.

You forgot to mention that the CZ Mag is also short. My Shadow will go about 1.160 with the 135gr Bayou, well not all CZ's are created equally. To be honest I have not Cronoed my 135gr Bayou's but I know they are plenty too hot at 3.6gr of N320, set at 1.145 steel drops like a rock. I much prefer N320 over TiteGroup, even if it hurts my a@@ for the extra wallet bite. I won a bunch of TiteGroup, sold off most of it, now what to do with the rest of it. Maybe I'll load up some at 3.2 behind some Bayou 135gr and shoot it up, just have to get more Brake Cleaner to wash it out.

Yeah, I do get the Titegroup trademark powder residue after a match, but at least I don't have to whip out the chore boy pads anymore since the Bayous don't lead or smear their coating in the barrel. With the BBIs and Precisions, chore boy was a necessity after a 100+ round local match to be clean to my satisfaction.

I run 9mm Bear Creek 135g RN moly, 4.0g WST at 1.150 OAL with CCI SPP's out of my 5 inch STI Spartan, with 10# recoil spring.

I did some verifications chrono testing of my load for upcoming WA State IDPA Championships.

Three strings of 5 shots each picked randomly from the 300 rounds I brought with me.

Averaged 133.7, 135.2 and 134.4 power factor….. Lowest velocity was 973 Fps, highest 1011 Fps.

This load is soft, clean and very accurate. Just another powder option I thought that I would throw in the mix.

I've shot 147's with various powders and personally find them too soft for my liking, opted to use 124's instead. Since coming across the 135's I find then to have the best recoiling/cycling of any the bullets weight I have tried.

• 2 weeks later...

OK as promised .. Here is what I got so far.

bullet= bayou 135 grain RN

powder = N320 3.4 Grain

primer = small magnum federal blue box(sorry thats the only one I have)

mix brass of 9mm

AOL 1.125

Gun = G-34 (factory barrel)

makes 128 -130 PF

soft recoil / less smoke perfect for dark stage/ keeps the barrel clean (really clean).

Im happy about it.

I run 9mm Bear Creek 135g RN moly, 4.0g WST at 1.150 OAL with CCI SPP's out of my 5 inch STI Spartan, with 10# recoil spring.

I did some verifications chrono testing of my load for upcoming WA State IDPA Championships.

Three strings of 5 shots each picked randomly from the 300 rounds I brought with me.

Averaged 133.7, 135.2 and 134.4 power factor….. Lowest velocity was 973 Fps, highest 1011 Fps.

This load is soft, clean and very accurate. Just another powder option I thought that I would throw in the mix.

I've shot 147's with various powders and personally find them too soft for my liking, opted to use 124's instead. Since coming across the 135's I find then to have the best recoiling/cycling of any the bullets weight I have tried.

WST is Cheap $112 8# its clean, albiet reverse temp sensative, so if it cools off you will get up around 140pf. I'm going to try it out and save the N320 for the jacketed bullets. I use it exclusively in 40 and have a couple 8# jugs just cooing it in the fridge.

TiteGroup is not always very good with cast or moly-koted bullets.

Maybe others have different experiences, but TG is hot and just doesn't produce the best accuracy, for me, with Precision moly-koted bullets.

I would much prefer N320, though I haven't tried it, over a powder that my experience says is not an "optimum" choice.

TiteGroup is not always very good with cast or moly-koted bullets.

Maybe others have different experiences, but TG is hot and just doesn't produce the best accuracy, for me, with Precision moly-koted bullets.

I would much prefer N320, though I haven't tried it, over a powder that my experience says is not an "optimum" choice.

That's an interesting philospy since the optimum powder varies based on preception alone. When you get to open guns you will understand that everyones optimum powder is different. Each shooter can have a different preception of which is best, while mixing them up in a mag and not being able to tell the difference. N320 is very good, in 9 mm, an also ran in 40 and 45. With 147gr I like Clays.

TiteGroup Cheap, Dirty, extremely hot burning, recoils more than other similar powders (recoil is my preception based on tests of rounds loaded to equal PF). My next camera will be a slowmo and I hope to develope a test for measuring true recoil and flip.

I have tried TG. I explained that it was hot and did not give me good accuracy in ANY cartridge. I want accuracy. Don't care about smoke and don't care about "dirty."

I have read about N320 and, if I wasn't very happy with AA2, AA5, Clays, 231/HP38, and other powders, I might try it. But, it is hard to buy a powder that is 50-100% more than a powder that I know works well to make me buy it.

However, if I was competing to WIN (and not for myself), I would buy several powders I haven't tried as winning becomes the name of the game.

Based on not hearing any thing bad about N320 and since the OP wanted to know between TG and N320, I was simply stating that I found TG to be a poor choice in my .45s, 9x19s, 9x21s, .38 Supers, .40 S&Ws, .32-20s, and Walther and Hammerli .32 S&W Longs and would expect N320 to be a better choice. YMMV

What, exactly, is my error that you seem to want to point out?

What kind of accuracy are you getting with those bullets??

I haven't gotten a chance to do any group size testing with this load yet on paper, but I am pretty much 100% on the plate rack at 20 yards with this load. When the weather around here cools off some, I will put my CZ on a rest to see what this load is capable of on accuracy.

If you want soft and acuurate, use 3.7gr HP-38 loaded out to around 1.12 - 1.13 i believe. I sit it down until bullet will drop completely in chamber. this load has a PF of 131 and feels like a .22 in my SP-01 shadow.

I haven't gotten a chance to do any group size testing with this load yet on paper, but I am pretty much 100% on the plate rack at 20 yards with this load. When the weather around here cools off some, I will put my CZ on a rest to see what this load is capable of on accuracy.

Thanks!! :cheers:

• 2 months later...

I just loaded 3.5 grns of N-320 with the Bayou 135's to an OAL 1.150 and shot them from my Trojan. My results seemed a little off...

Avg Vel: 886; Standard deviation: 10 Extreme Spread 30; Power factor: 119.6;

I expected around 128pf not 119??

Edited by Paul-the new guy