Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5,000 rnds through my 5.25

TGO

Latest update Ya'll,

No jams to date. However, it will not eject when I load 115's down to 900 fps! This is a 103 power factor for you comp shooters! Yea, it was an experiment, I just loaded 115's over the same load of TG as I'm using for the 147's. I needed to find out how low it would go and still work. My Steel load is working out to be a 115 at just over 1000 fps. I wanna stay subsonic, that's around 1060 at sea level.

Have been practicing for the Steel Challenge and am doing pretty well on a couple of the stages that have caused me problems over the years. I'm shooting the 5.25 much more consistently than my 4.5 and am actually about as fast as I am with my Custom Shop 1911 longslide 9 mm. I still draw better with the 1911, but the rest is the same.

Compared to the 4.5, I am shooting outer limits much better with the 5.25. How much is the gun, how much is my new knees I do not know. I can tell you shots that would be iffy with the shorter gun are usually hits with the 5.25. There is no doubt the longer sighting radius and the excellent sights that are easily and precisely adjustable are helping. I've used fixed for so long in production that I forgot what it is like to actually get the gun perfectly zeroed! With fixed you usually get it close with a little work but have to have lots of extra sights and a file to get it perfect. Not any more. Speed option is about the same as are the easy close stages, but 5 to go and excelerator are noticeably faster for me with the 5.25. Hope I can carry that into the match!

I'm moving the best I have in many years. Thanks Dr. Tarlow and Chad Reilly. My new knees allow this to be fun again, instead of an excercise in pain control! I am looking forward to the rest of the shooting season. Exciting!

I'd love to see posts from 5.25 owners with range stories. Am I the only one out there with one?

Rob

I'm moving the best I have in many years. Thanks Dr. Tarlow and Chad Reilly. My new knees allow this to be fun again, instead of an excercise in pain control! I am looking forward to the rest of the shooting season. Exciting!

Woohoo! What Nats are you shooting this year?

And are those 147's what you plan on normally shooting through the new XD?

I have serious lust..every time I go to the range or shoot a match I put one of those 5.25's (display model.. their shipment has not arrived yet) in my hand. I just started in the Production class, and feel it would be a wonderful production gun. Trouble is, I just bought my XD Tac a few months ago. I love the rear sight on the 5.25, it comes up from draw perfect every time.

Thanks for showcasing the 5.25 in your latest DOTM, I learned from that one! I appreciate you sharing your experience like that.

That's fantastic news about the knees! Now kick some ***!

Jeff

Edited by Standby!

I wrote up a range report here a few days ago. I absolutely love this gun. I never thought I could ever feel this way about a polymer pistol.

I have a package coming today from springer precision that I think will make me even happier.

I took a buddy out yesterday with the 525 an told him where to aim at 50 yards. He hit 8/10 with his first time with the gun. That was box stock. I have only 300+- rounds through it at this point but I have experienced zero malfunctions except the slide not locking back with factory springs and 130pf handloads.

Granted, I'm not TGO accurate, but that is exceptional for me.

Are your transistions faster with the xdm 5.25 vs the 1911 longslide ?

Also whats your difference in split times between the XDM 5.25 and the longslide 1911?

I'm shooting the 5.25 much more consistently than my 4.5 and am actually about as fast as I am with my Custom Shop 1911 longslide 9 mm. I still draw better with the 1911, but the rest is the same.

Rob

I thought we had flooded the market, the gun went on the USPSA list the week we started shipping! I'm sure we were a little caught off guard by demand, which has been sensational. I wasn't though...... This really helps us, shooters that want this type of gun. Management will monitor sales and response by the market and that will affect further production and development.

I'm not really the web browser type, but my interest in this gun is far beyond anything we have introduced before and I just wanna tell everyone about it!.

Lots of things had to fall in place for this to happen. It is a big deal to develop things like that sight in house. There's a reason no one else has done something like this before. I think it was worth the wait though.

I'm not as sure on the draw with the XDm yet as I am with the 1911 platform. Can't be too disappointed about this though, I've done what, about a Million 1911 draws for every XDm I've done in my life? It is getting there.

Splits between shots are the same on easy targets, a little slower on hard shots. I know others who are not this way. This is all about trigger weight for me. The trigger on the 1911's I use are very light when legal by rules. The XDm can't get to that level of shortness and lightness. It's better than anything else in it's class, but the 1911 is the gold standard. It's also in a different category. I am working on shooting the 5.25 faster and am making improvements.. Just sooooo long with the 1911. And of course it has the greatest trigger mechanism and feel of all the pistols we commonly shoot in competition. Funny, I haven't shot one since I received the 5.25?

Target acquisitions are the same. The pointing and index of the guns are so close I make no alteration in my technique.

Shooting production now! The other one I'm not sure, maybe my modified IPSC gun in open?

Rob

Some are available on Gunbroker if you don't mind paying a premium price. I normally get mine thru Gallery of Guns (Davidsons) and they currently don't have any in stock. Guess they sold out their first inventory. Just waiting until they get it back in stock!

Price is a little steep in my area also! I'm retired and don't have much extra $$$$$ so I'm going to have to sell before I can buy...GARN! My old eyes prefer the green FO. Forgot to ask the dealer about that. Feels really good and I am a looooooong time 1911 shooter. Not even close to great though.

Richard

Rob,

Would like to get one but they are a little hard-to-find right now. SA needs to flood the market with them!!!

We have black in stock, bitone are only showing up one at a time to our distributor and we have grabbed every one they have listed in stock so far.

Rob,

Would like to get one but they are a little hard-to-find right now. SA needs to flood the market with them!!!

We have black in stock, bitone are only showing up one at a time to our distributor and we have grabbed every one they have listed in stock so far.

Christine at Springer Precision was kind enough to inform me that a Bi-tone was inbound. Naturally, I snapped it right up. I ordered the 3.25lbs. competition trigger, extended mag release, .100 Dawson front sight and a new tungsten insert for the stock guide rod. I was informed that this insert will bring the total pistol weight close to the Production legal limit. Rob, would you be so kind as to provide the weight of the guide rod spring in your 5.25? I was thinking of using a lighter 16lbs. spring

My current Competition XDM was customized by Rich at Canyon Creek and has served me exceptionally well for nearly 3 years. Given the exceptional comments herein and from other online sources - concerning both the 5.25 and Springer Precision - I'm anticipating an outstanding product.

Rob, the 5.25 was a welcome surprise. Thank you for improving upon an already excellent product.

Kindest regards,

Greg

Edited by Jungo2

Rob,

Christine at Springer Precision was kind enough to inform me that a Bi-tone was inbound. Naturally, I snapped it right up. I ordered the 3.25lbs. competition trigger, extended mag release, .100 Dawson front sight and a new tungsten insert for the stock guide rod. I was informed that this insert will bring the total pistol weight close to the Production legal limit. Rob, would you be so kind as to provide the weight of the guide rod spring in your 5.25? I was thinking of using a lighter 16lbs. spring

My current Competition XDM was customized by Rich at Canyon Creek and has served me exceptionally well for nearly 3 years. Given the exceptional comments herein and from other online sources - concerning both the 5.25 and Springer Precision - I'm anticipating an outstanding product.

Rob, the 5.25 was a welcome surprise. Thank you for improving upon an already excellent product.

Kindest regards,

Greg

Congrats on the new 5.25!! I'm 110% sure you will love it!

I am using the stock spring on a Springer solid steel guide rod for USPSA right now and the big diameter tungsten rod from Canyon creek for Bianchi, no weight limit applications. It is too heavy for USPSA but sure does make a difference in recoil. A couple ounces is noticeable! Scott is sending me a new spring he carries for the large diameter guide rod that I'll try as soon as I get it.

Rob

I currently have a XD Tac in .40 that has a Springer Precision trigger with Dawson sights that I love. I'm hoping that Springfield will come out with a 5.35 in .40 since I would like to be able to switch between minor and major. If they do, I am going to have to get one. I would be curious about the slide weight difference between the XD 5" and the new XDM 5.25 with the lighting cuts.

Rob, thanks so much for your range reports and information. It's good to hear how well the gun is working for you. How does the gun work with 147gr bullets? The reason I ask is because my M&P Pro does not like them at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought mine yesterday and pick it up tuesday and am in the process of ordering a variety of different ammo to see which one it likes to eat the most. No time for hand loads yt, maybe when I retire, so it's all going to be various factory loads. If you've got any suggestions in which direction to start, that may eliminate some trial and error on my part. However I plan to test different manufacturers, price points and grains and test at different ranges as well.

Edited by Hamma Slamma

just ordered a bitone 5.25 today. looking forward to shooting production with it.

i'm new to shooting/reloading 9mm. i'll be loading to around 130PF. i'm wondering 125gr or 147gr?

I have not tried 147's yet, but 124 grain Montana Gold CMJ's with 4.0 grains of Titegroup seated at 1.130 is extremely accurate and has been 100% reliable. Snappy but the sights come right back down.

I shot one of these at a match today. Y'all it's a nice, nice gun. Seriously sweet. Great work by the guys at Springfield.

I shot one at my range for the first time today, too. Unfortunately, it shot low and I couldn't get it to point of aim with 115 grain PMCs. I was gentle with the rear sight as the gun wasn't mine, but, the adjustment detent was shallow and did not take any tip I had with me well.

I was surprised that the large front FO sight was not much of a problem. The rear is wide. I wasn't distressed about the trigger. Seemed ok to me. But, I had just shot a zillion rounds with my 617.

I don't think it liked the 115 PMCs at all. Didn't, or I didn't, group that well. I had some commercially reloaded 125s with me that did a lot better.

Stupidly, I forgot to ask which back strap was on it. It was really easy to manipulate the mag release and slide release without shifting my hand.

All in all it was a positive experience. For some reason, the safety on the trigger didn't bother me as much as a Glock. Also, the shape of the grip obviated the movement in my hand I get with small framed Glocks.

Update alert!

Just returned from the range. Hot as hell here in the Phoenix Area, but had to shoot the old 5.25 as I have recently had the barrel refit. There is good news and good news! The more rounds I shoot through this gun the better it performs with the light bullets. After about 8-9,000 rounds I wanted to see if tightening up the barrel in the gun would make any difference.

This gun when new shot 147's very well but not as great with 115's. I had many sub 5 inch groups with 147 MG's at 50 yards but was unable to match that with the 115's. I guess maybe it is breaking in or something because it started getting better and better with more rounds fired to the point that when I went to the steel challenge, 115's were shooting as well as 147's? Curious!

Now, this gun shoots so well I didn't want to mess with it and had my #2 gun delivered from the factory with a match barrel fit at the Springfield Custom shop. The difference in accuracy was not significant enough for me to worry about, as either gun could easily hold the Bianchi 10 ring (8"0 at 50 yards). For anything I'm doing this is more than sufficient. Remember these are not the best groups, but what the guns did regularly. I have my screamer groups but don't use them as the measuring stick. Instead I concern myself with the worst groups a gun/ammo combination will deliver. When you get the worst groups to be good, you have a winner!

As in a 1911 or any other gun I have experience with, lots of rounds loosen up the fit and accuracy goes down. Maybe I should clean it more often than once every 5'000 rounds. The 5.25's seem to be holding up well in this area, but I wanted to see if refitting the hood and lower lug would help anything. I can tell you that after the refit I shot a 3.88 inch 10 shot 50 yard group resting the gun on the mag base pad on a table. I assume I am holding due to aiming and trigger pulling at best, 2". I wasn't really even trying that hard, just wanted to see if these XDm's respond to the same treatments as do 1911's. Not sure how it shot before refit as I hadn't fired any groups for many thousands of rounds, but I can state the accuracy improved with 115 bullets. No flyers or ugly shots to mess up the group. I do need to go up and left 1 click! But hey, it is zeroed for 147's!

At 25 yards it is ridiculously easy to shoot head shots on a USPSA target or 10's on a bianchi D1. The trigger on this gun has also improved from the rounds fired and now measures right between 2.5 and 2.75 lbs. I'm having trouble shooting my 1911's as well right now as I have only shot the 5.25's since receiving them. Better get them out before the USPSA L10 National!

Rob

Hey Rob,

I wonder if you could clarify the statement you made in your DOTM video about the "Competition Trigger". Is that something that was done in the Custom shop, or is the trigger in the 5.25 different than previous XDm's?

It's fantastic to hear that the gun is running so well. As soon as the .40 comes out, I'll be purchasing one to run Limited Major with.

The trigger on the gun in the video was done by the Springfield Custom Shop. That is what I call my #1 gun, and I had the trigger work done by them before ever firing it. Stock the 5.25 has the same trigger as the 3.8's and 4.5's. There are no changes. There are pages and pages of this covered earlier on this forum. If you can find those posts you can learn all about the gun.

Rob