Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge

Scooter

If you have the opportunity, you should do it just to get some big match experience under your belt.  I really get the pre-match jitters - I mean bad.  I'm looking forward to shooting some big matches this summer just to work it out of my system.  

Plus, it'll be fun.  You should go.  

E

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Brian, I was think about when you shot the Challenge in the late eighties.   Why you and Rob didnt use guns that were made for that match.    I know you used bushing guns with comps but I mean when other shooters were using short slides and other things you and Rob still use a gun that was the same as your IPSC gun.    Why?

Was it because you guys believed its in the shooter and not the equipment?   thanks

(Edited by dave pasos at 8:09 am on April 11, 2002)

Dump,

$255 is a lot of scratch.  We have a local steel match that we can shoot for $5.  The big dogs aren't there, but we are shooting the same couses of fire.  Now if you go shoot the match...you probably won't get to watch the big dogs.

If I were close, I'd go video tape them.  You might learn more from watching them then shooting it yourself.  Maybe take the $255 and put it towards a class with one of those big dogs.

(I'd take my gun and a pocket full of money just in case though.)

Dump,

it goes something like this for me....

I would love to shoot a big match,like the Nationals but with a wife and 3 kids, the time away is tough.

I mean, if you were a baseball player in the minors and someone said "want to play at Yankee Staidum today?" would you say "no, i'm not good enough." HELL NO. You'd knock the guy down to get on the team bus!

So if you like in SoCal, like I do, the Steel Challenge is perfect. Big match, all the big shooters and I get to sleep in my own bed.

If the money is an issue, try the rimfire event. Same course of fire just no draw and less to enter. A lot of the big boys shoot it so you get to watch Micklek and TJ shoot. And if you have the pregame jitters, shooting the rimfire may help to get rid of them before the big money match.

I'm still thinking it over.  How do these matches work?  When you enter, do they give you a time frame of when your going to shoot?  Do you only shoot the 7 stages once and that's it, or do the top shooters shoot it again?  Thanks for all the info.  I'll be shooting a steel challenge practice match on Saturday (West End Gun Club).  Hopefully I've improved from over 2 months ago (186 and some change).

Hey Dump,

How was westend?

I usually shoot at Piru on 1st Sat in the practice match. Nice thing is it is same location as the SC so surroundings are familar but I have wanted to shoot at West End as it is a little closer to home.

• 3 months later...

Open

1. Leatham 68.45

2. Sakai (from Japan) 70.41

3. Jarrett 70.62

4. Racaza 70.76

5. Barnhart 72.15

Limited

1. Leatham 76.88

2. Jarrett 81.81

3. Miculek 84.43

4. Vidanes 86.02

5. Newquist 87.10

Matt Burkett won IDPA ESP with an 85.56

David Sevigny won IDPA SSP with a 93.13

Miculek was also top Law Enforcement.  I didn't know he was even a cop?  I was told that K.C. had a 2.33 sec. run on speed Opt.  Minus the 2 sec. that's a .33 sec run!

Leatham also won the shoot-off from what I was told.  This was definetly his year.  It was a great match.  The temp. was only in the 80's with a breeze.  I came in 135 out of 171 and still won $450.00 worth of prizes at the prize table (I shot a 154.83). I highly recommend this match to all regardless of your skill level.

(Edited by Dump1567 at 8:24 pm on Aug. 18, 2002)

Doug was there , he placed 6th i think. JJ was ahead of rob by about .40 going into speed option and ended up shooting a 5 or 6. JJ won 2 or 3 stages and finished 3rd on one. Rob did'nt win A SINGLE STAGE . Anyway ,i shot a 83.66 placing 18th . Winning time was 68 . The bar just keeps gettin higher

James