Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge

Scooter

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice video, couldn't you find one where I was shooting properly. (Besides the fact that the video froze my machine, twice in a row.)

Ok, the comment(ary) is that on Outer Limits, to shoot a quick run, no matter what, YOU ARE LEAVING THE BOX ON YOUR SECOND SHOT, so you better hit the target, which, unfortunatly, I didn't. (Notice the "super-quick-step-back-shot")

And, no you never attempt to hose the stop plate. Sometimes it happens, if it does you are/become what is known as a "loser."

be

• 1 month later...

Yup. The Great One ran away with Limited. Koenig was cool and consistent to win a third-straight overall.

On Friday I was squadded with Robbie, Todd, the Miculeks, Michael Voigt, J.J. Racaza, Everett Brunelle, Jim O'Young, and Taran Butler, all shooting Limited.

Points of interest:  Most of them shot .38 Super. Jarrett was shooting LDA guns. Jerry Miculek's wheelgun had a blaze orange ramp front sight interest, the only top shooter I've seen not use black-and-black iron sights.

I was surprised at, well, the mistakes made by these top shooters. (Except for Robbie, who was pretty much infallible.) I just didn't expect them to take so many extra shots, leave a box and return to the box, etc. Todd dug himself into a hole early on but came back strong. Miculek looked to have a stage win going and then would have a couple bad runs.

I wonder if they had the same problem I did, the inability to call my shots. I was putting multiple hits on steel because I couldn't call the first shot. I got hurt on Flying M and beaten down on Outer Limits, where I eventually took off my ear muffs and used plugs only so I could call shots by sound. (Forgive me Father Brian, for I have sinned, but there was no other way.)

Erik (and Dave),

OK, I do the same thing. I shoot steel with plugs only. There, I said it. Boy do I feel better. I think I'll have another glass of herbal tea!

But, in a perfect world, which, unfortunately my brain doesn't live in, I still train to READ what is happening with my eyes. Why practice/train anything other than the best technique? And then, when you have to, Adapt, Modify, and Improve.

I got these scores from the Great One this AM:

Overall (everything combined):

72.77  Doug K

73.37  The Great One

73.64  KC Eusibio (he's about 3 feet tall, and the coolest kid!)

73.75  Todd J (sorry Todd

74.03  Jerry M

Just ain't no reason to double-up on ear protection with minor loads and no barrels, walls, or barricades in the COF. It still took forever to get auditory feedback from Outer Limits.

For Limited results, it was Robbie by a big margin, I think followed by Todd Jarrett, Jerry Miculek, Mike Voigt, and Everett Brunelle.

I think JJ and Jerry beat Todd and KC in the shoot-offs.

I did the calculations on how long it takes to hear the sound from the bullet hitting the plate at 35 yards on Speed Option and Outer Limits.  It's roughly at 0.20 sec.  About 0.1 for the bullet to get down there and slightly less than 0.1 for the sound to come back.

Todd Jarrett was joking that they need to find KC a girl to slow him down.

Scooter,

If you are doing everything properly, you should shoot the biggest target, perspective wise, last as you are leaving the box, and also the biggest target as you are entering the next box. This just increases your "margin of error," making a little easier to "leave" quicker. To understand "perspective wise," move yourself around until you can line up the target in front so that's it's directly lined up with the target behind it. You'll have an instant understanding of which target is easiest. It's sometimes surprising. Then if the biggest target is the closest target to you, as far as sound feeback is concerned, it's a no-brainer.

be

• 2 months later...

Smoke & hope or smokin Dope? I swear this  mu%$$%*ing  stage kills me! Anyone have any tips? do you point shoot the first 2 plates? A different way of focusing on the stage ? Black majic ? Dumping my open gun? Help!!!!!

Scooter and BE , please verify,  "point shooting " is the key? which plates do you point shoot? at what point do you pick up the sight? and why aim low on the plate? please keep in mind, i'm shooting open.

For me, the first two plates are shot before the gun is indexed.  By the third and 4th plate, I'm getting into the proper index and seeing the dot.

You want to aim low because you body/mind naturally wants to point the gun where you are looking.  So if your gun is below you vision, you will point the gun up.  However this is usually too high and you will shoot over the plate.  That's why you want to aim low.

ong45,

I refrain from labeling methods of shooting, like "point shooting," for example, because it produces misunderstandings. It's better to attempt to explain exactly what you see, that way you won't miss the subtleties involved.

When I shot an open gun (in the past) I'd make myself see, simultaneously, the scope tube centered on the target, and white (of the target) through the scope tube. That was my visual input to fire the shot. Usually, by the time I got to the stop plate, I'd be seeing the dot as well; but, regardless of whether I "had" the dot or not, I'd make sure to feel the gun stop and see the stop plate through the tube.

be

• 4 months later...

Being that I'm a D or C USPSA (haven't shot enough classifers to know for sure) shooter, is it worth paying $255.00 to shoot the Steel Challenge 2002?  I've heard I would make my money back at the prize table, but wouldn't I be better off spending the money on something I want instead of getting something I may not want?  I'm unsure if I want to spend that much money to shoot a match I know I won't win.  I did enjoy shooting the one steel challenge I shot and plan to shoot one once a month.  I'm also only about an hour and a half from Piru.  Is it worth it to shoot this match?

Thanks

(Edited by Dump1567 at 9:07 pm on Mar. 31, 2002)