Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge

Scooter

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shooter grrl,

top female was Athena lee.  Think I heard Dalton announce that she came all the way from the Philippines. Believe she was shooting for Limecat (sic?).  Very small and petite (couldn't have been over 5' tall nor weigh more than 100 lbs.).  She placed 22nd overall.  It was really impressive watching her shoot in the team shoot-offs.  

That's about all I can remember.

The weather was perfect.

I  watched TGO practice on Thursday and shoot on Saturday and let me tell you, he was impresive. He said that he shot something like 1400 rounds in practice. So for those who ask how much ammo to bring toa major match for practice, there is you answer.  He looked very smooth.

One little story about TGO,

On Smoke and Hope, he was shooting very well. If I recall correctly, a 2.16, 2.20 and a 2.12. Then he misses a plate and the stop plate and shoots a 2.99. You get to throw out one but instead of just putting in another low 2, he pulls a 1.99 out for his 5th string. It was impressive.  

When Doug won last year, I don't think he won a single stage either. The guys who can go real fast tend to have more inconsistent times overall.

Like dump said, the prize table was excellent, even for  those of us at 100+.  I got well more than $ 240 in prizes and had fun too.

I finally talked to The Great One last night. A couple crazy things he told me (that may be interesting to Steel Challenge veterans).

First, he shot Roundabout with a single miss and only finished third. Second, he shot 5 to Go far to near, and, finished second on the stage! Kooky stuff. That last accomplishment really hammers home a lesson we learned long ago. Basically, as long as the next target your are going to shoot is visible, peripherally, it really doesn't make that much difference what order you shoot. Often we waste way too much time and energy trying to figure out that perfect order.

be

Far to near...interesting.

I have had conversations with DBChaffin about this...which we were pulling from one TT's post.  Travis was saying how the eye can focus to the next target faster coming far to near...as opposed to going near to far.  (YOu start the draw with you eyes already focused to the far target during the LAMR)

For me, it's a matter of comparing the gain in target transition coming far to near, with the extra time it takes to index on the far target first (as opposed to drawing on a near target).

For someone with a superior index (TGO, TT) drawing to the far target likely doesn't cost them as much time.

Steve Anderson and I got some practice in on this at the range yesterday.  I haven't been practicing much...my draw and index was way off.  It was faster for me (with my skill level of the moment) to go near to far.

Targets were 3 paper, running on a diagonal.  Close was about 7 yards...far was about 20 or so, middle target was about half way between.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"..Watch TV coverage of the 2002 Steel Challenge on the American Shooter program, aired on the Outdoor Life Network (OLN) on Saturday, November 9 (8PM and 11PM) and Sunday, November 11 (8AM).  Be sure to check your local listings as air times may vary for your time zone..."

http://www.isishootists.com/steelchallenge/2002/index.htm