Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Air of Superiority about SV Owners

diehli

This isn't meant as a jab at anyone in particular (though there is a recent post on the subject), but I've noticed that many SV owners (in particular, a few top, sponsored shooters; BE was the first, TB the 2nd, MB the 3rd) feel the need to differentiate the product they own from a similar product by denigrating (however mildly or implicitly) STI products.

Maybe this is one of those Ford/Chevy debates, but it seems even more pointless to me. I guess I just don't get what gives... and I hate it when I don't get something. If it's based on some internal politics (former relationship of those involved in the creation of the modular 1911-style pistol), ok, fine. If it's based on the products themselves, I guess I need to get out the microscope to see the difference that seems so apparent to some.

For an upcoming comparison article, I have in-house an STI Eagle 5.0, a Bul M5 is on the way, likewise an SVI (though that will take a few months). When I've examined in-depth and shot all three guns, I'll have enough real information to have an opinion on this matter.

I think the main difference is you can get an STI in a promised time of about a month, whereas the SVI will be promised in about 2 months, and an actual delivery time of about 7 or 8 months.

Well... you haven't ordered an STI lately. They're back-ordered way out too. Most of the places with them 'in stock' have several standing orders always in queue just to get reasonable delivery times.

It's easy to forget that the two (STI and SV) frames started out as CMC brand frames, designed in part and marketed by Chip McCormick.

I own SV stuff but the only diffecence between the two as far as I'm concerned (frame wise that is) is that STI has two lower grip screws that the SV doesn't.

Both make good stuff. ;)

This is a quote from another post illustrating a few differences in the common guns:

"STI single stacks are built from castings - not precisely machined from barstock as SVIs are.

STI uses cast thumb safeties and Chinese knockoffs of the Bo-Mar sights in all its pistols. SVI machines its own patented safety and uses REAL Bo-Mar, MMC, and Heinie sights.

SVI buys nothing from Smith and Wesson. In fact, S&W has in the past bought standard production parts from SVI and asked SVI

to manufacture others.

What does it mean to have a pistol frame and slide manufactured from aircraft quality 4340 steel, heat-treated to Rc 42? It means no one else in the marketplace comes close to the hardness and toughness of the material SVI puts into every pistol - standard.

Les Baer frames are Rc 15.

STI hicap frames are Rc 28.

Harder and tougher materials equal longer life and thus greater value.

The SV coated Schuemann AET barrel will shoot sub 1" groups at 50 yards - nearly forever. The rifling will virtually never wear so the accuracy will never deteriorate.

Result? The SVI owner receives greater value.

Premium trigger components from the use of better designs and materials offer trigger jobs that also have an indefinite life. The SVI owner again receives greater value.

Of course, there are those who consider those qualitative achievements and superior standards "fluff." I suppose they need to rationalize their purchases....."

Leo

As long as we're getting nitpicky about terminology and making distinctions between products, I object to the rampant use of the word "custom" when it comes to a lot of these high-end "auto loading 1911 style" pistols. If my gun is custom then you shouldn't be able to go on the internet and order you one just like it built by the same people in a matter of minutes. I don't care if your smith offers 200 different front sight choices, for a gun to be custom it needs to have at least a few "off the menu" features. I'd like a Bar-Sto barrel in my SV please. How about a Caspian slide on my STI? I was able to add both of them to my el cheapo Para gunsmith kit frame so what's the problem?

SV's and STI's are great guns and I would love to have either one of them but until then I'll just keep shooting my custom gun and smile a little every time I see a guy taking pride in his "custom" S_I.

:P

Aren't the frames the same? Same people helped develop the 2011 frame and then split to the two separate entities? Am I way off on this? It seems to me that the SV is the GMC and STI is the Chevy of the two. Meaning, GMC's are usually a little more expensive and have a couple of nicer cosmetic differences. It is the brain behind the machine that really matters anyway IMHO. :P TXAG

Its six of one and a half dozen of the other. If you get them from the factory they will both need work. Its the smith that makes the diffrence. If I want another gun I tell Benny what I want and where he gets the parts is up to him. Apparantly there has been a change but at one time customer service at SV sucked and that will carry over for a while with me, every gun since then has been a STI but that really dosent reflect on this subject. I own both, I shoot both, I like both. I bought em, I paid for em, I own em and if I want to call em S_I, I will. Larry

Oh please, there isn't a dimes worth of difference. You can have all the interchangable breechfaces and forged parts you want . Innovation for the sake of change isn't good. Ask Ruger if cast parts work...

Money spent needlessly IMHO for SVI...

Apparantly there has been a change but at one time customer service at SV sucked and that will carry over for a while with me, every gun since then has been a STI but that really dosent reflect on this subject. I own both, I shoot both, I like both. I bought em, I paid for em, I own em and if I want to call em S_I, I will.

Amen to that!

I don't own a "factory" gun from either (any longer) but have handled and shot both and can say that there is no one thing better about one than the other, that's worth any headaches. Like Chuck said, they're all Gunracer's. I don't care what you say.

It's about the logo folks SVI just looks cooler  They all are capable of shooting better than we are 

L2S - It's all about the stickers! Just like import racing. They add 5-10 horsepower for every sticker you add! :D

In the end, they're both match sponsors and have their shooters. The operator is what matters. After all, that French guy won the Nationals last year with an Italian gun.

Rich

"Ask Ruger if cast parts work..."

They work great for $150 rifles and $350 guns but not for $1,500+ guns.

If you think that cast and forged parts are equal you have NEVER been involved in any kind of racing period.

Leo

For me as a regular person pay for my own stuff shooter..there isn't a bunch of difference..it's pretty much all the same to me..I usually mix and match the parts I want to build the blaster that works for me..

if I were getting paid to shoot or sponsored..you bet whatever I shot or shooting for was the best..