Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are primers averaging now?

Peakbagr

Just called my local shop as I'm running a little low on Federal small pistol primers. His prices are usually pretty good.

He said $40/k but price is $30.50/k if I buy 5k. At $30 it isn't too bad, but seems REALLY high on per thousand if I buy less than 5,000.

Ordering online will always look cheaper in pure cost/primer. make sure to take into account shipping and hazardous costs. If you only need a few hundred, a local store is usually best. If you're stocking up, take advantage of online retailers lower costs and get a bunch to minimize the hazardous fees.

$40/k is a little high on pure numbers. $30-$32/k seem normal for checking a few places.

To make a mail order worthwhile, I'd have to order a LOT, more than 5k given what I'm reading. What kills me is that I have some 1k primer bricks in the cabinet from just a few years ago with $19 and $21 stickers on them. Ouch!

Looks like I can live with the 5k price I'm getting locally.

Thanks, guys.

A place that just opened up in Tulsa has Fiocchi small pistol primers for about $26/1000, or so I'm told.

For those of you who go to the big Wanenmacher show in Tulsa (largest gun show in the world!), you can order from Powder Valley beforehand and they'll bring your order to the show so you don't have to pay shipping.

I'm currently rotating primers. As I use a brick, I buy a new one to go into storage to replace it. The primers I'm currently loading were about $10.00/1000. Their replacements are $30.00/1000. How times have changed. I started stockpiling primers after the first Great Primer Famine, back in the '80s.

• 3 weeks later...