Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fixed or adjustable rear sight?

joedodge

Im building a new gun and my current production gun has a dawson adjustable rear sight but i always feel like its moving or doin wierd stuff. What do you all prefer on production guns a good fixed serated rear sight or a adjustable rear sight.

Thanks for the replys everyone not sure what im gonna do yet i may black the factory rear out and put a dawson front on my new production xd.

Good idea. For me at least, white dots on the rear are distracting. Try different kinds to see what you prefer, most do.

I prefer fixed, Even though my limited gun has a adjustable, I got the gun from dawson fired a three shot group dead center at 25 yards and have never ever moved it in 3 years till it broke, But I learned after many hard headed years to not try and reinvent the wheel, I shoot .40 180 gr loads at 170 pf over WST all day every day and never change If I was doing over again I would have got the one piece Novak style sight. It is a pain to zero and you may have to swap front sights a bit to get it right but then you will never need to change it.

Depends on you though if you are gonna flip between 115 gr White box one day, and 147gr reloads the next adjustable are handy. If you have settled on a load and dont plan on changing go for a good fixed rear.

• 2 weeks later...

It's adjustable for me.

I have a production gun (IDPA SSP) with fixed sights and it shoots fine but every time I use it I have a slight lack of confidence. I know it shoots about 2" high at 25 yards when I would rather it shoot 1" high. I know, it's a small thing, but my brain knows it's not exactly what I would like and it causes a slight lack of confidence in that pistol. I think that causes me to slow down a bit when I shoot it.

My STI 9mm (IDPA ESP) wears Dawson adjustable rear and FO front. I chose the shortest front sight that would still zero so the rear is almost at the bottom of it's adjustment range. That way the rear sight screw is at it's strongest lowest position and the rear sight is at it's most stable condition. When I use this pistol I am absolutely confident that my sights are dead on where I want them to be. Just one more thing I don't have to think about during a stage.

On both of my Glock model 17 pistols, and both of my Glock model 19 pistols, I have Heinie night sights. One set of sights is the slanted version.

However, on my Glock model 21...I have a Dawson adjustable rear sight and fiber optic front blade. The main reason is because the various .45ACP rounds can have a significantly different point of impact. The 200 grain rounds shoots different than the 230 grain, and both of those shoot different than the 180 grain rounds ;)