Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a DOH really necessary?:

Nimitz

I'm getting ready to start entering some pistol competitions and was reading on a website about recommended basic equipment when you are just starting out. For IDPA they recommended the following holster: Blade-Tech sting ray (belt loop) holster; but for USPSA they recommended: Blade-Tech dropped and offset (DOH) for production Limited, L10.

Since I will have the opportunity to shoot in both I was hoping I could you the same holster ...

Is either of these legal for the other & if so then why the different recommendations? Thx

The SR holster is legal for both. (Don't forget you'll need a cover garment for IDPA and can't use a dual belt system, like you can in USPSA). The DOH belt loop can be purchased separately (or, alternatively, you can get the DOH holster and remove the DOH extension and you'd have a SR holster). Ensure you get a stiff enough belt. Ultimately, you might want a dual belt system for USPSA as it's a set-it-and-forget-it setup.

AFA the reason for the different recommendations, it primarily has to do with the perceived benefit of the DOH (lower, further from body, therefore a faster draw) and it's illegality in IDPA.

I used a SR holster in both, you have the advantage of getting used to the same draw that out weighs any DOH perceived advantage, The equipment is a small part of beginner shooting.

ok, so after reading the IDPA rulebook I understand why I can't use the offset DOH holster. So I guess the next question is if I only have a IDPA legal hoster to compete in USPSA or IPSC matches am I going to be a some competitive equipment disadvantage?

ok, so after reading the IDPA rulebook I understand why I can't use the offset DOH holster. So I guess the next question is if I only have a IDPA legal hoster to compete in USPSA or IPSC matches am I going to be a some competitive equipment disadvantage?

Not enough to worry about. Using the same holster and gun in both will give you a more consistent technique that should far outweigh whatever small advantage you might get from the DOH.

Note that many limited shooters who also shoot prod or SS will keep their mag pouches and holster behind the hipbone and use prod/ss style holsters in order to keep their draw and reload consistent.

BB

I used a DOH for USPSA. Note the past-tense.

Now I just use the Stingray.

Feels more solid on the belt whereas the DOH had some outward/inward flex on the hanger.

I haven't given up anything on draw speed.

When it comes to equipment, a small "perceived competitive advantage" will drive shooters to use certain pieces of equipment just as much as it drives the rulebook to disallow the same piece of equipment.

You will be at no disadvantage using a Bladetech w/o the DOH, or any quality kydex holster for that matter.

I shoot a multithousand dollar gun in Limited and get beat by folks with relatively stock guns. It's not the equipment but the guy behind the trigger. If you're shooting both, with a single gun, I'd keep the set-up consistent between the two. You're going to be faster that way than having two different draws with the same gun. Just don't forget when you're shooting IDPA that you can't press the mag release until you're behind cover (this was always my problem after I started in USPSA).

~Mitch

I don't personally care for the Sting Ray belt attachment. It allows the holster to move back and forth on the belt. I would go for something like the Comp-Tac where you can straddle a pants belt loop with two closely spaced holster loops, one right on each side of the pants belt loop, so the holster can't move around, versus the Blade-Tech Sting Ray with two very widely spaced belt loops that don't allow that.

Also the area between the two side loops on the Sting Ray is flat. Unfortunately that means the portion of the holster that's against the body is flat at a point where your body is round, so in addition to not staying where I leave it I find the String Ray uncomfortable, as well.

thanks all, I was assuming that it would be better to use the same equipment as much as possible so you didn't have to learn to do things differently depending of what competition your were in.

When you are just starting out, you are so far behind the curve that any minor differences due to equipment are lost in the wash. It will be quite a while before a decent IDPA holster is holding you back significantly in USPSA.

As Mitch said, the most important thing to do is to tighten the nut behind the trigger; everything else is secondary.

Just get IDPA legal equipment and go shooting.

Edited by M1911

Until there comes a time when all of the top 5 finishers at Production Nationals are all running a DOH, then maybe it will be deemed "necessary". In the meantime, no way Jose. I can draw plenty fast out of my run of the mill Comp-Tac.

Edited by DonovanM

I think it makes no sense at all to just buy the Stingray. With the DOH bracket included they cost about the same. You might want to see for yourself someday if you like the DOH better. You won't have to buy one and pay more shipping, etc...

it wasn't obvious from the website, so are you saying the DOH is basically the same as the Sting Ray once you remove the DOH?

Absolutely the same holster. Three screws attach the DOH bracket to the stingray.

I try keeping everything the same for both sports.Its better for consistancy.The only difference being the mag pouces.I did not like the DOH.When I would draw my thumb would hit it,and did not allow me to get a high grip on the gun.

Edited by johnny1gun