Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 Area 5 Championship

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my first time shooting and/or working an area match and it was great! I worked stages 10/11 with Jay, who was my co-instructor for my RO class, and kept praying that I would not mess up any of my range commands. I am happy to say I never messed up once.

This was a very well thought out match with some stages requiring you to think and others, like mine, just requiring you to get all of your hits quick. Thanks to everyone who spent the week on the range setting everything up and getting it all ready for us to shoot and work. It was nice to meet some of the other RO's that I had just seen in passing at matches before. I look forward to working this match again next year.

Chirs

This was my first major and all I can say is wow. Great match all around. The stages were tough but fun. The staff was friendly and things ran smoothly from a shooters perspective. I shot all day Friday and the weather was punishing, but I can honestly say I haven't had that much fun shooting in a while. Besides that I was squadded with some great shooters and I learned a lot and have more than enough to work on in practice. Thanks again to the staff and everyone who made this happen, the time and effort you put in is truly amazing.

Noticed all that shot on Thursday have the exact same score and time for stage 10 & 11.

Spoke with Dale and it looks like the PC has it right, but EZ has it wrong, some sort of mismatch occurred and he is sending Ken both db to find out why....

Edited by JThompson

This was my first major and all I can say is wow. Great match all around. The stages were tough but fun. The staff was friendly and things ran smoothly from a shooters perspective. I shot all day Friday and the weather was punishing, but I can honestly say I haven't had that much fun shooting in a while. Besides that I was squadded with some great shooters and I learned a lot and have more than enough to work on in practice. Thanks again to the staff and everyone who made this happen, the time and effort you put in is truly amazing.

It sure was a blast. Good shooting with you buddy.

Too bad they messed up shirt orders for 3xl guys ;) I soooo want mine.

Edited by e-mishka

It sure was a blast. Good shooting with you buddy.

Too bad they messed up shirt orders for 3xl guys ;) I soooo want mine.

We can still get ya one...

JT

Huge Thanks to all of the match staff for putting on a great match!!! The stages were all very challenging and made sure you used those "Bumpy Things" on top of the gun. The match ran smoothly as well which is nice when things stay on schedule.

Huge Thanks to all of the match staff for putting on a great match!!! The stages were all very challenging and made sure you used those "Bumpy Things" on top of the gun. The match ran smoothly as well which is nice when things stay on schedule.

It really was an amazing effort by all involved to run that many shooters and not have delays. Overall, I am very happy with how the match went. We had some bumps and those are good places to learn for next time or next crew.

Thanks again to all our crew!!

JT

Hey guys,

Sam and I shot yesterday--what a great match! Thanks to all our friends who made it happen. :cheers:

It was really good to finally meet you, Mike. I was the midget RO on stage 8 who mentioned how great your cigar smelled.

Sam must have had a great match and congrats to him.

Hey yeah, I remember that! I should've given you one. Buying off ROs with cigars is one of my oldest tricks. ;)

You'd have to get in line behind my old man. He was emailing me all weekend about how I should have taken the portable humidor with me!

Thanks to the Area 5 Staff for the match. You guys had your work cut out for you!

The stage designs were fun and very complex. Hat's off to Ray Hirst for the stages he designed - wow. PS I hate memory stages... thanks for the rectangle stage by the way!! Many of these stages seemed to test my limits of what I could figure out and memorize before the 5 minutes was over! There were a lot of hidden targets, targets that could be seen from multiple positions while others could not, targets in hard cover to only be able to hit portions of it and activators that released drop outs which had to be shot from another area that you could easily overrun when moving flat out and lots of different angles and corridors to navigate in the course... plenty of speed courses, but if you didn't have a plan on every stage and a good plan, you crashed and burned.

Out of two days, we only had to wait for another group once, and we didn't have to wait long. I seen a lot of driving back and forth by the buggies, seemed like the computer / palm system was giving the ROs some problems. The water delivery was good as long as you were not on stage 9. The paper score sheet copies were helpful for a receipt of what you did on the stage in summary and didn't take up much space.

I found all of the ROs to helpful and courteous despite all the work, rain, dirt and long days... don't know how you guys do it, but thank you for doing it - sincerely!

I was sicker than a person should be in winter much less summer and shooting an area match, but managed to complete it and still had fun. The stages were that good.

The range was set up to be able to easily find the stages and progress from one to another. The quality of the props seemed to hold up very well and looked like the setup crew put quite a bit of time and thought into stage setup. Hat's off to the designers and all the boots on the ground in prep to make it happen.

Oh, and the "Big John" outdoor restrooms were probably some of the nicest of those types of things I've seen. It's still a Johnny on the spot...but if you gota go, a Big John is better than a small John I'm thinkin. :)

Critiques from my perspective:

Where's my shirt? I paid in advance! I paid before the due date and still no 3x shirt! That bummed me out because they looked pretty cool. My name's on the list that the ladies registering us were creating. I guess Area 5 staff is going to follow up with Techwear now... but no communication, no no idea what is really being done or who will send me my shirt or when I'll receive it at this point.

Communication... match book said we shot one set of stages day 1 and day 2, but when we met up with our squad, they said they were told to start and complete a different set of stages. We then went back up to the office and indeed, found that we had a new squad number and the match book from the web was outdated now, so new set of stages for day 1.

Food stunk. I'm sorry, but I didn't realize I was paying 8 bucks for a soggy fast food burger, a scoop of beans and slaw, bag of regular potatoe chips and drink. I so miss the layout at PASA!!!

Seemed like it took a long time to tabulate the final numbers. Not sure what was going on, but there was a lack of communication as to where the updates would be posted and nothing was printed out for a long time while folks ate.

Prize table seemed small, plenty of guns, but due to the amount of competitors (96 open shooters, but looked like 18 or 19 Open prizes only) it didn't seemed to go very deep. There were a lot of guns for the top spots though... so, perhaps that's the price for more guns...

Anyone know what was up with all of the DQ's on stage 1 anyway?

Looked like a fun match - thanks for the video!

This video was taken by son, Brandon Henley. I had the pleasure of being on the squad with Shane and 2nd overall Limited, Matt Sweeney. Both were great to shot with. The whole squad was friendly and hardworking.

Food stunk. I'm sorry, but I didn't realize I was paying 8 bucks for a soggy fast food burger, a scoop of beans and slaw, bag of regular potatoe chips and drink.

I thought the food was just fine--my chicken sandwich was excellent and the Culver's custard was a great touch on a hot day.

Edited by Carmoney

I know from a reliable source that most of the DQ's were from drawing while facing uprange and a couple for breaking the 180.

Jon

Reliable source eh. :ph34r:

Ya, you had to be careful on that stage, if you over-ran a target you could get in trouble. The start position also had most right hand shooters turning left as the made the draw... (start was facing up-range)

JT

Edited by JThompson

Too bad a lot of people don't pay attention when told to "turn around and then draw". I have even had someone grab the gun when facing me on the make ready command and get yelled at to "STOP" :surprise:. They just kind of look at you like "oh, yah" and turn around and make ready.

Chris