Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Use of Magnet mag pouch - Didn't see a definitive answer to this.

robot

Didn't see a definitive answer to using a mag pouch magnet in OPEN division. I assume it's approved. I've seen threads that talk about using it in Production. Reason I'm asking is we had a discussion with a few ROs in a recently and some say yes, some say no.

so what's the verdict? Ok to use in OPEN or not?

thanks!

If it passes the 2" rule, it's good to go.

And that might be the critical point for those magnets that are attached to the outside of a traditional mag pouch.....

Magnets appear to be legal in Production Division as well -- the only restrictions I can find are on distance from the belt, and a restriction on holster type....

Do the magazines fit "in" the magnet?

5.2.4 During the course of fire, after the start signal, unless stipulated otherwise in the stage procedure, spare ammunition, magazines and/or speed loading devices shall be carried in retention devices attached to the competitor's belt and specifically designed for that purpose.

5.2.4 During the course of fire, after the start signal, unless stipulated otherwise in the stage procedure, spare ammunition, magazines and/or speed loading devices shall be carried in retention devices attached to the competitor's belt and specifically designed for that purpose.

Certainly within it's magnetic field, right? I think you're reaching.....

They meet the highlighted criteria as well.

Actually, I shot a Level II match this weekend where I was NOT allowed to use my magnet on a stage because stage description said magazines had to be placed "in" pouches. :ph34r:

Edited by PeterMor

Actually, I shot a Level II match this weekend where I was NOT allowed to use my magnet on a stage because stage description said magazines had to be placed "in" pouches. :ph34r:

RM ruling? Real RM? Did the WSB specifically say "may not use magnet mag pouches?" What would they have done with a competitor running only magnet mag pouches?

RM ruling? Real RM? Did the WSB specifically say "may not use magnet mag pouches?" What would they have done with a competitor running only magnet mag pouches?

The Stage was one where the gun was loaded on a table, all magazines to be used on the stage must start on the table, after start magazines can be placed in carriers. Many shooters grabbed mags and stuck in their pouches. At lunch I was told by someone who had to reshoot the stage because he used his magnet that it wasnt being allowed on the stage, so since I wanted to use mine on that stage also I made a point to ask the RO on the walkthrough and he said if I used it I would get a procedural. The WSB did not say anything about magnets, just that magazines had to be "in" carriers. I Didn't take it up with the RM.

Edited by PeterMor

But, can you add one to your belt in the middle of the match?

MDA

Add and remove between stages? No.

It has to be on your belt from start to finish.

rule 5.2.5.3

Edited by Cardinal

The Stage was one where the gun was loaded on a table, all magazines to be used on the stage must start on the table, after start magazines can be placed in carriers. Many shooters grabbed mags and stuck in their pouches. At lunch I was told by someone who had to reshoot the stage because he used his magnet that it wasnt being allowed on the stage, so since I wanted to use mine on that stage also I made a point to ask the RO on the walkthrough and he said if I used it I would get a procedural. The WSB did not say anything about magnets, just that magazines had to be "in" carriers. I Didn't take it up with the RM.

Reshoot for use of a magnet? Procedural for use of a magnet? Neither of those sound quite right.....

Let's see ...

The ordinary, everyday meaning of the term "in" as used by the rule certainly fits the use of ordinary mag pouches.

To get magnetic pouches within the rule's express language, though, requires a much more esoteric construction of the words used in the rule, i.e., "within it's magnetic field."

But reference to the natural reading of the rule is reaching?

I haven't been in the sport long enough to know the origin of the rule and its language. I suspect the rule was first implemented before anyone thought of using magnets, and ordinary language applicable to conventional mag pouches was used without any thought of any implications or nuances in meaning with respect to unconventional carriers.

Magnets do offer an advantage over conventional pouches in some situations, for example, the stage referenced above that required starting with all ammo placed on the stage off the belt. Allowing the use of magnets certainly is not mandated by rule. Before contorting the language of the rule to deem magnets allowable, therefore, it seems appropriate to consider the underlying policy implications and whether magnets really should be allowed.

That said, I admit to having a magnet prominently accessible on my belt. But I've always wondered if I'd get called for using it.

Reshoot for use of a magnet? Procedural for use of a magnet? Neither of those sound quite right.....

I was in the same squad as the L10 shooter who got the reshoot. The stage RO informed the shooter that it would be OK to use the magnet, which he did. Upon completion someone questioned the wording of the "RO Notes" section of the stage description, which said ammo must be stored "in retention devices" per 5.2.4

As a result, one of the quartermasters stopped by and said that use of a magentic retention device was not going to be allowed on the stage (and had been communicated to the ROs for the stage)... So the shooter was granted a reshoot because he shot the stage incorrectly based on the info provided by the stage RO.

I think the reshoot was handled fairly, as the RO should have been ready for that question, but I am not sure that the use of a magnet should have been disallowed...