Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting minor - big disadvantage?

pangris

I've got an STI Trojan 9mm that is a "practice gun" that I've thought about shooting L10 with. I'm not out to win nationals or anything, but I do like to be in a position other than dead last. Does anyone shoot minor and actually win?

Thanks!

Only in production, but your single action gun can't play there. If you could win with minor no one would shoot major. For example, you are toast on upper A/B zone only targets at any distance and partials are much tougher to score on, when you can afford C's with major, they really hurt with minor.

I shot Minor and won Limited at the local match last Sunday. So did the shooter in Second place (Limited).

The Alphas score the same Minor or Major. But, you can't always see the Alpha zone.

I think it would be a great idea starting out...helps to teach how important shooting accurately is.

Tommy Campbell found out years ago that you can't win shooting minor...even had a T shirt made up the next yr at the Natl's that said," Uncle Jeff was Right". That was the first yr he shot a .45 at the Natl's.

Sad but true, he still didn't win it...

IMO, shooting minor also depends a lot on how the COF is constructed (assuming you can already hold your own in your shooting. :D ) COF's that has lots of swingers, movers, partials, hard covers, etc. would really ba a real challenge for a minor scoring shooter.

The good news, however, is that there's always bound to be someone who'd push the envelope to much on every stage and burn it. So if you're consistent enough, you'd likely be ending up several notches from dead last. Of course it would also help to be an optimist and think instead of how many shooters you've actually beaten. :lol:

Minor is a definite disadvantage. But I think shooting Minor REALLY pays off in the long run for the training it instills in you. No one can finish well in a major match shooting Prod if they don't shoot TONS of A's.

Learn that lesson well and when you switch over to another division to shoot Major, you will most likely clean house.

Short Answer: NO

More Important Answer: Who cares, shoot what ya got, have a great time, and improve your skills.

When and if you decide to get more serious competition wise, you'll know what gun to get and you'll have improved your abilities to use it.

I shot one match with a single stack .38 super in Limited-10. I lost a lot of points because of that, but I was able to go a lot faster than with my .45ACP hand cannon and in the end the results were about a wash.

I agree. Shoot what you bring and have fun.

Hmm, Actually I agree too...

I still had a lot of fun, even at the stage with all the steel that I had problem knocking down. I even got to reshoot it twice because at first a swinger didn't work, and second - one of the paper target bent over and I didn't have a fair chance of hitting it. So I ended up dealing with the poppers for three times. It was a very good learning experience for me and it was related to this topic. I really didn't mean to sound upseting, sorry if I did.

I personally can tell you that can finish in the top 5 at the Nationals with minor on purpose. I shot the Burkett Cross Comp with a 147 and N-310 a couple of years ago in OR. You will sure focus when you do that! It helped me learn a lot about being in control. I think I would have shot "that" match worse with major just because of the mental set. It helped me clean up my mental game a bit. That match was a tough one and I had one no-shot by a .10" and thats it for penalties.

It is cool too because it feels like your shooting a cap gun and you get 22 or 23 +1! :D

I think I'll shoot my STI 9mm in L10 for a year or so, that will be 12-15 matches. I'll also use it in practice and training for TR, FS, etc. Maybe one day I'll get a 38 super and shoot limited, who knows...

Paul

Ummm. If you get a .38 Super and shoot limited, you'll still be shooting minor! The minimum caliber for limited to score major is .40

DD

Ah... I thought in limited .38 Super could make major. Damned .40s...

Paul

If I ever get my 9mm running properly and so it will actually hit paper past 25 yards, I'll probably shoot it from time to time in Limited-10, Limited, and Open. The big reason is that ammo is so much less expensive, but it's also a lot of fun to shoot a gun with almost no recoil or muzzle flip after shooting a .45 that makes 190PF! :lol: