Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Single Stacks

rhd2542

Try a Taurus PT1911 in 9mm. Lot of them run quite well and the price is certainly right.

The Taurus 1911 is a piece of trash.

That's a little harsh, but there's a reason there are a lot more STIs and Springfields than Tauruses at matches.

VERY very well said Bud..!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I see a lot of folks here like the STI. If the STI frame is made by the same people making the Rock Islands (that's my understanding) what upgrades does STI provide to set it above a bare bones RIA? Just asking...

I believe only one STI is made in the same facility over-sea's as you've mentioned.. The Spartan, and it is run on a separate line line from the R.I.A.'s, w/

separate QC standard's if I understand it correctly.. That being said, in my opinion these 2 mentioned guns are of equal standard and

I have seen some RIA's that were very nicely tight and seemed pretty well fitted.

I see a lot of folks here like the STI. If the STI frame is made by the same people making the Rock Islands (that's my understanding) what upgrades does STI provide to set it above a bare bones RIA? Just asking...

Only the STI Spartan (and the Texan revolver) are imported. All other STIs are 100% made in USA.

The STI Spartan most closely compares to the RIA Tactical model. The Spartan's adjustable rear sight and STI (US-made) trigger, sear, hammer, and disconnector more than make up for the difference in price. If those parts aren't worth the additional $$$, though, the RIA Tactical may be a good choice for you.

A "bare bones" Rock Island has tiny, GI-style sights, no beavertail grip safety, a spur hammer, etc. Perfectly fine for shooting groups at the range, but not a gun that I'd want to carry or shoot competitively. As much as I admire Browning's pistol, the original was lacking quite a bit in a few areas, and these features aren't features I'd want to be without. Without big, modern style sights and a beavertail, the gun would be basically un-usable in a match to me. Adding those features to a base model RIA (or even Springfield for that matter) would cost at least what the gun costs, especially the sights, which would require milling the slide, replacing the hammer and fitting a new one, cutting into the frame for the beavertail install, probably fitting/installing a new thumb safety, and refinishing the whole pistol. 30 years ago, it was common to have a smith do all these things. Today, another $1-200 at the gun ship gets them pre-installed from the factory.

RIA tactical in either 9mm or 45 ACP is under $500.

Extended beavertail, good sights, ambi safety, upgraded hammer and trigger, FLGR.

I have a couple Rock Islands with thousands of trouble free rounds through them. Some folks knock them-they are wrong.

Best 1911 value on the market-IMO.

Dave

Try a Taurus PT1911 in 9mm. Lot of them run quite well and the price is certainly right.

The Taurus 1911 is a piece of trash.

That's a little harsh, but there's a reason there are a lot more STIs and Springfields than Tauruses at matches.

VERY very well said Bud..!

Mine runs just fine - I bought it to beat up on. Never had problems with it (after I replaced the safety plunger well) and it groups as well as my 2011.

10475102.jpg

I don't shoot USPSA seriously but if I did, I'd plop down $300 more to get an STI.

Since I shoot USPSA for shits and giggles (And Outlaw 3-Gun for real), my Taurus is great for SS at local matches.