Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Mother of All Brass Bins

EricW

BrassBin.jpg

Holds about 1000-1500 pistol cases. Virtually all of them fall onto the pickup tray case-mouth-up. Before you start laughing, it's so efficient that it improves my loading rate about 100-150 rounds an hour, minimum. I just hose the cases down with One Shot right in the tray.

Sturdy enough to be filled half-full of bullets.

B)

Cool, but I'll stick to my pie pan. How do you know when to respray the one shot?

As soon as I get brass that runs hard.

==================================

I wanted to manufacture these, but really couldn't find a way to do it economically without resorting to buy a shipping container of them from China. I may have that issue solved....we'll see....

Anyway, the point is, once you can pick 80% of your cases out mouth up, you'll never go back to any other method of feeding cases (short of a casefeeder). It's a very low dollar way to dramatically speed up your loading. There's a trick inside the bin that does this. (But I'm not telling....buwahahahaha!)

The problem with using akro bins or any other container as a parts feeder is: they suck. Get one big enough to hold an hours worth of components and you're diving for cases half an hour later. Get one small enough for easy picking and you're refilling the damned thing every 15 minutes.

You can make your own very serviceable bin using cardboard and a glue gun - which is exactly how I did the protos for this bin.

You don't necessarily have to spring for the 650 or the 1050 to load another 100-200 rounds an hour if you look for more efficient ways to manage your components.

Hmmm, and I just THOUGHT I was being slick by using a 3 pound coffee can for my 45 brass, a shake once in a while and the mouths all point up. Let me know if you’re serious about marketing that contraption, I just might be interested.

Ed

Thanks for the compliments. I'll shop the thing around to metal shops once skool is done. I don't have high hopes for its commercial success. 2 years ago when I made it, everyone was too busy to deal with me. Now all the shops are cut to the bone - and once again - everyone is too busy to deal with the startup guy.

Unbelievable! I was standing in front of my SDB last night cranking out .45s when I realized that if I had a more efficient place to grab cases from I could speed things up. This is exactly what I had in mind except I want mine located just over and behind the loaded round bin. I need to get fabricating. Thanks for the visual.

Isn't it weird when most of us think of the same gadgets that can help us load faster or have more reliable guns. Some just implement their ideas into fabricating plastic or metal more efficiently than others, some have better designs too because they had the chance to do some benchwork or industrial espionage. :D Seriously, I thought about loosing the rim on the 38super 3 years before the supercomp came out, I suppose you can say Mat Mclearn beat me to it with his MCM brass. Keep thinking and fabricating, some we will laugh at :wacko: and some we will buy :wub: . josh

Not to stomp the parade buy they do exist in plastic (at least on this side of the pond) they are made for candy! self service candy stores have them in plastic and work fine. ;)

But EricW - nice work.

Hi Eric,

I take it you load on a 550b? Any chance of giving your non case feed loading brethern a little hint on how this device is constructed?

Don't laugh, but I made a mini version out of 3 acro bins and some duct tape. I was surprised how many cases were right side down, but it needs some work and a better baffle to get flip more cases the right way.

Hmmm, I don't need a 650, just a more efficient way to load on my 550.

Josh

Hi Eric,

I take it you load on a 550b? Any chance of giving your non case feed loading brethern a little hint on how this device is constructed?

Hmmm, I don't need a 650, just a more efficient way to load on my 550.

Josh

Hi Josh,

A 550B, you betcha. ;)

And, as much as I love to share information, on this one, all I really have to share is the picture and blueprints that I've drawn up. I still do have hopes of making a commercial product, so I'm not willing to disseminate the prints. Sorry for the secretiveness. What you're looking at is just another in string of prototypes anyway. The final device will be different yet.

And, you're exactly right, I've been saying for a couple years now, a lot of the time people spend reloading is spent doing something *besides* pulling the handle. Whether it be an inefficient loading process or time spent processing cases or time spent loading primer tubes. The first money you should spend is on the low-hanging fruit, which is generally cheaper than a new press.

E