Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Benelli 3-Gun model M2?

CJW

ok, so it sounds like weight at the end of the barrel is more important than the extra 3" in length? I thought the reason you used "shorter" barrel lengths in 3-gun was so that you would be able to manuever around the stage easier since stages can be in more confined spaces? I realize there is no perfect answer but I'm trying to figure out if I would be giving up anything significant by chosing 21" over 24" barrel? Or vice versa. This may be a rash assumption but I'm assuming that if Benelli is making an M2 specifically for 3-gun shooters they would have a very good reason for choosing a 21" barrel length? Maybe not ...

ok, so it sounds like weight at the end of the barrel is more important than the extra 3" in length? I thought the reason you used "shorter" barrel lengths in 3-gun was so that you would be able to manuever around the stage easier since stages can be in more confined spaces? I realize there is no perfect answer but I'm trying to figure out if I would be giving up anything significant by chosing 21" over 24" barrel? Or vice versa. This may be a rash assumption but I'm assuming that if Benelli is making an M2 specifically for 3-gun shooters they would have a very good reason for choosing a 21" barrel length? Maybe not ...

There are a lot if things Benelli does with no good reason. If they ever produce a 3 gun ready shotgun and it has a 21" barrel it will be because Kurt Miller and Taran Butler told them to use that length.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

ok, so I'm completely clueless when it comes to shotguns for 3-gun but why make a 21" barrel length gun & then have an ext tube which extends past the barrel? Why not just go with the 24" length barrel? Is the 21" length so important for some reason in 3-gun that you do this configuration? what am I missing?

When 3-gun first started, most matches automatically put anything longer than 22" in to "open" division. I don't believe anybody still follows that rule, but, 21" still seems to be the holy grail. :surprise:

The shorter guns are better for confined spaces, and might swing a little faster, but, I prefer a little longer sight radius. :cheers:

Edited by RH45

I think the lighter weight & easier to get around are more important for me; at 6', 195# I'm not exactely the smallest guy on the course so I'll just trade a smaller sight radius and a little less velocity. I can always buy a 24" barrel down the road if for some reason I discover I've made a 'horrible' mistake ... thx all

Nimitz

Where are you going to get this 24" barrel?? Would like to have one myself!!

Hey Tom and Nimitz,

I just purchased a 24" M2 barrel from MGW, they had the best price I could find around. Also, very nice to deal with and very fast shipping with a tracking number provided. Here is their info:

Midwest Gun Works

1101 Mason Circle Dr. South

Pevely, MO. 63070

Phone: 636-475-7300

Fax: 636-475-7303

22" was the default length at SOF. They didn't have a capacity limit, but had a barrel length limit with a tube restriction of no more than 1" past the barrel. That's part of the reason Benelli's did so well in that game, you could ghost load a round onto the carrier, effectively adding an extra round over what every other gun could have. And that was back in the day when Kurt couldn't load 8 rounds weak handed in 2.1 seconds. I still like the 21-22" barrel. When I'm shooting a match that has a capacity limit, like USPSA or FB3G I use the tube that's flush. Allows me to better (a little) get into and out of ports. If you watched the Shooting USA episode on FB3G from last year and saw guys trying to stuff their shotguns into the Cooper Tunnel you know what I'm talking about. If I shoot a match with a start only capacity I can go longer on the tube.

• 4 months later...