Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

We NEED a GOOD short range RIFLE TARGET...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

....and some pic's....

The only issue I see is possible inconsistent target setup.

What happens if a Shooter gets a Double Stuff'd clayoreo? :goof:

Will the target reaction be the same for each shooter?

And match directors, don't cheap out and use Clay-Hydrox. :roflol:

post-17928-0-32852000-1324429273_thumb.j

post-17928-0-89026200-1324429401_thumb.g

And match directors, don't cheap out and use Clay-Hydrox. :roflol:

Eric, are you going to do anymore testing? Being cheap, I was wondering if a piece of cardboard to replace the back clay would work as well.

I have not tried any other backers, and at this point I don't plan to. Here's why:

You do need 2 clays, but after Chuck & I made a few of them, they were very FAST to make w/ rubber bands, almost made subconciously (if that's possible :rolleyes: ) We made them while figuring out the cell phone camera & video & how best to take the pic's, and making the clayoreos never got in the way of that ;)

Yes, it takes 2 clays, but all you need is a box of clays and range sand (or dirt or fine gravel) and rubber bands and some plastic bottle stands - FAST & SIMPLE!!!!

I would not hesitate to have shooters make them on a stage at local matches as part of reset, they're that easy!

Remember, we would use these like we use single clays now as frangible targets, and I have not seen many stages that use over about 4 or 6 of these type targets to mix it up with paper. That would be about a case of clays for every 10 shooters, BUT WE DO THAT NOW FOR SOME SHOTGUN STAGES!!!

If you did go nuts on a stage and wanted say 20 of these, then you would have to budget time and materials accordingly, but that would be rare, in my opinion (dare we say "unrealistic") :blink:

ericm

• 2 weeks later...

How about this:

legitim-chopping-board__0119427_PE275744_S4.JPG

Cut it into three pieces (or whatever is needed to get a reasonable size)

Add hinges to the bottom

Attach to wooden block

Voila, plastic/wooden plate rack.

If each board gets cut into three pieces, they would be 70c + hinges each, and I would think that they could survive at least a couple of squads?

Not sure if a .223 fmj would just zip right through it without depositing enough eneergy to knock it over though...

Here are red ones, painted black, shot with .308

Edited by gose

• 2 months later...
1325293891[/url]' post='1603534']

How about this:

legitim-chopping-board__0119427_PE275744_S4.JPG

Cut it into three pieces (or whatever is needed to get a reasonable size)

Add hinges to the bottom

Attach to wooden block

Voila, plastic/wooden plate rack.

If each board gets cut into three pieces, they would be 70c + hinges each, and I would think that they could survive at least a couple of squads?

Not sure if a .223 fmj would just zip right through it without depositing enough eneergy to knock it over though...

Here are red ones, painted black, shot with .308

Interesting. I like how when shot they act like a shoot and see

At 3MR match the other day we shot heavy plastic water pipe, with 1/2" wall thickness, i think they would make good rifle targets as well considering they had good heavy thick walls. You might call them to see what it was exactly. it worked great for SG targets, it appears to be same basic construction as the cutting board, but self stands due to round base and you cand cut it to whatever length you want to shoot at. Plus its permanently BLACK so no painting ever!!!! and no changing color during the match.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

I believe that was polypropylene pipe, Trapr...used a bunch in the oil field for flow lines. That's the second time we've shot it out there with shotguns, I'm curious how it'd hold up to rifle.

Getting a little off the original intent. SHORT range, as in frangible for shooter confirmation. A non-frangible target may not be safe, or allowed close range for rifle.

The Clayoreo appears to be the winner (thanks EricM). USPSA even approved the target (once I explained what it was).

What I ended up doing for practice is taking a piece of 4x4 about hip high, drilling a small hole in the middle, and placing a Golf tee with a paintball on top. You'll be surprise How hard this is to hit at 25-50 yards off-hand, specially if your NOT trying to shoot the Tee.

What I ended up doing for practice is taking a piece of 4x4 about hip high, drilling a small hole in the middle, and placing a Golf tee with a paintball on top. You'll be surprise How hard this is to hit at 25-50 yards off-hand, specially if your NOT trying to shoot the Tee.

That is what shotguns are for :roflol:

OFF THE ORIGINAL TOPIC????????Mark, Short range rifle is what I want the polypro pipe for, the round will go through but should provide enough resistance to make it fall over.

the target doesn't NEED to be frangible, it just needs to be safe, and provide evidence of a hit to the shooter.

Oh!!!! if USPSA approved it then it must be "the answer"!!! :roflol:

Trapr

OFF THE ORIGINAL TOPIC????????Mark, Short range rifle is what I want the polypro pipe for, the round will go through but should provide enough resistance to make it fall over.

the target doesn't NEED to be frangible, it just needs to be safe, and provide evidence of a hit to the shooter.

Trapr

The poly pipe did not work reliably.

Trapr

Off your meds, Mr. Softball?

ericm

Trapr

The poly pipe did not work reliably.

Did someone test it already?