Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing a Tripp (Bowmar) rear sight

sperman

Last December I put the production gun in the safe to get back in the swing of SS. At the time I decided I was going to put a Tripp Research rear sight on the gun before I went back to production in the summer. Here it is the middle of summer and I'm finally getting around to it.

The first step was to bead blast the slide and weld up the dovetail. Most of the weld will get cut away when I machine the slide for the new sight, but some of it had to be filled in. I dont' know why, but I'm fascinated by the fact that things have to get ugly before they can be pretty again.

Here's the slide with the dovetail welded up:

IMG_4380.jpg

And here it is after a rough cleanup of the weld. Most of the ugly bits that are left will be cut out, but I might have to do a little cleanup before I send it off for hard chrome. (Sorry their's so much glare in the photo. I'll try and post a better picture later.)

IMG_4381.jpg

The dust cover on the shadow is plenty thick enough to mount it there. A slide ride wouldn't be too bad, depending on what dovetails are available.

Edited by sperman

:roflol:

i want to put one on my p22 so i can bring my wife to steel matches. i would probably have to rig something like that. walther sells one but the reviews are so-so.

I still have the brackets if you want them.

I always thought my Shadow was a rough casting, without much care being given to the cosmetic finish. Once I got all of the Duracoat off of the frame and slide, I realize I was wrong. It's a shame they hide such a nice gun under the equivilant of spray paint. I can't wait to see what it looks like in hard chrome.

IMG_4399.jpg

The first step was to bead blast the slide and weld up the dovetail. Most of the weld will get cut away when I machine the slide for the new sight,............

Hi.What kind of weld did you use?

MIG, TIG, ELECTOD ?

Thanks Manolis

And the finished product. I had to install it further forward than I would on a 1911, to make sure it would clear the hammer. I've got to figure out something to do with the back of the slide before I send it to hard chrome. Hopefully a slight bevel or radius won't be interpreted as slide lightening.

IMG_4405.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

sperman... that looks good so far. Have you ever looked into the Hard Hat coating by Severns Custom? I had it done to my 1911 and it is really nice. The finish is matte and the surface is slick and smooth. Just FYI.

https://severnscusto..._Treatment.html

I have to admit, that I think a production gun should be black. Having said that, I would have to spend some time with anything other than hardchrome before I decided to use it as a finsih on my gun. I had a gun finished n Ionbond a few years ago, and I don't like it. (I know I'm in the minority here.) Until someone can convince me that there's something out there as durable and as slippery as hardchrome, I'm not taking any chances.

Very nice.

FYI, I know the the Custom Shop mills the top of the comp hammer differently for their target sight guns. From what I remember it slopes back towards the from to clear the sight.

Awesome job!

that looks so good. can you share photos of the sight picture? thanks

I can't get a picture that's any good. When I get it back I'll try again with both a better camera and better lighting.

Look forward to seeing it after the hardchrome treatment. I also have the Tripp K-1 sight installed on my 75 Shadow. As the new CZC hammer has a lower profile, the gunsmith was able to installed the sight farther back. Filling in the old dovetail sure is nice...but, I got no skillz. :roflol:

Happy Birthday, my dear America.

Edited by justaute