Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Tried & Proven 9mm Major Load

40S&W

Presently shooting open 9mm minor USPSA & Steel and loading at the following:

115 gr. Berry plated, 4.1 gr. Titegroup, OAL 1.138. No issues.

I will be using MG 115 gr.CMJ for major (might consider using MG 124 gr. CMJ). What I need is a few tried & proven loads. I want to keep the OAL at 1.138 to 1.14 for mag feeding & chambering reliability.

I have never tried loading 9mm major. I want to shoot 9mm major in USPSA. Shooting a STI Custom 9mm open gun with a 2 port comp for steel. Don't want to change the comp to shoot major. Need something resonably soft & flat and not loosing the dot in my Aimpoint CompXD 10moa.

Thanks, Ron

Edited by 40S&W

Hi Ron,

There is a whole 9mm spreadsheet for major 9 loads. Also if you search around you will find quite a few. I never loaded as short as your length. A powder that you should use to make major safely and comfortably with a 115 is HS6.

It's affordable and very comfortable shooting.

Robby

Second on the HS6. One of the members here, Cocobolo, shoots a lot of 115s but he mostly uses Sil. That spreadsheet has a ton of loads, search for 9mm major. If I locate it, I'll post the link...

I started shooting 9mm major in about 2003-2004. I stopped shoot for many years though because of school and partying. lol.

I love 115's because of how flat they shoot. I'm sponsored by Hodgdon so I only use Hodgdon, Winchester, and IMR

HS-6 will makes major effortlessly, slightly dirty, but when used in conjunction with a 115 and more powder than a 124 it burns cleaner. MY OAL was 1.165 with a ZERO 115 GR FMJ. I'm hesitant to provide you my load because of how short you are running your ammo, you most likely will require much less powder than I used.

Rob

Second on the HS6. One of the members here, Cocobolo, shoots a lot of 115s but he mostly uses Sil. That spreadsheet has a ton of loads, search for 9mm major. If I locate it, I'll post the link...

My loads are 1.165 with the 124gr or 115 gr MTG CMJ RN. With the 1.140-1.138 being much shorter my load data could be just the ticket to a nice head seperation or a split case, aka Kaboom. 9 major is as everyone knows living dangerous outside the charts. SO BE ADVISED that you will need to BACK OFF from these numbers. In my gun my preferred load is Silhouette - Cold weather load is 7.4gr w/124gr OAL 1.165 w SPM (win), with a 115gr same OAL SPM 8.0gr. Silhouette is reverse temp sensative, FPS falls off as it gets hotter outside.

HS6 7.8gr w/124gr @ 1.165 SPM, 8.8gr w/115gr @ 1.165 SPM hot or cold.

I use small pistol magnum primers, first they were on sale then I discovered they work real well and the gun stays cleaner, wll less filthy because both or these powders are dirty in different ways.

Start low a work up, carefully, use good brass only once.

For $40.00 you can get a manson reamer and give that gun enough head space to push the OAL up to about 1.180 or so then run a real slow powder like 3N38 or AA#7. I was running 1.180 OAL with AA#7, actually the powder picked the OAL no amount of cranking the seating die down made it any shorter.

ONE MORE TIME - THIS LOAD IS OFF THE CHARTS - IS FOR A LONGER OAL - BE VERY CAUTIOUS -

My best advise RUN IT MINOR and have a lot of fun and shoot fast make A's.

Edited by CocoBolo

Hi 40!

I sold my gun a year back to pay for a college bill. Right now shooting my old 40 open gun that was built during the times of 175 pf. My sponsors are getting together parts for my new open gun to be built once again in 9mm major.

I typically use the old style SVI mags with grams springs and followers. They always were the most reliable combination for me. Never had problems with OLD STYLE SVI mags and grams springs and followers.

I used to use sti's in 07-08 without spacers and once in a blue moon they would give me trouble. The remedy is definitely using a spacer. Grams spring and follower for 9mm only in conjunction with the spacer will work fine.

MY OAL is 1.165 and this in conjunction with a spacer is a length that works fine for the mags with the spacer.

My load was very hot though and I'm hesitant to say much with your OAL I used around 9 grains of HS6 (1.165) with a 115 zero fmj. The gun I used this in was an old STI TRUBOR COMPETITOR in 9mm with the smaller two port comp and bleeder system I believe it's there S-1 comp or T1 comp.

I suggest that you start SLOW AND LOW and Work your way up a tenth at a time for safety purposes. Old video with my load and the 2 port comp is below.

BE CAREFUL DONT MESS UP.

Robby

Presently shooting open 9mm minor USPSA & Steel and loading at the following:

115 gr. Berry plated, 4.1 gr. Titegroup, OAL 1.138. No issues.

I will be using MG 115 gr.CMJ for major (might consider using MG 124 gr. CMJ). What I need is a few tried & proven loads. I want to keep the OAL at 1.138 to 1.14 for mag feeding & chambering reliability.

I have never tried loading 9mm major. I want to shoot 9mm major in USPSA. Shooting a STI Custom 9mm open gun with a 2 port comp for steel. Don't want to change the comp to shoot major. Need something resonably soft & flat and not loosing the dot in my Aimpoint CompXD 10moa.

Thanks, Ron

I was told by somebody don't shoot Berry's plated at Major pressures and velocities :ph34r:

*edit* found thread..

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=127049&st=0&p=1433584&fromsearch=1entry1433584

Edited by OpenDot

6.8 - 7.1 gr (depending on bullet) of Autocomp works well, too. In my experience, it is not dirty. I use MG 121 IFP with 6.8 gr Autocomp and it comes in at 168-169 pf. YMMV. BTW, my Dave Pruitt built gun has no popple holes.

PINMAN44

What kind of mags and mag internals are you using? Are you using a 9mm spacer in your mags? Just wondering based on your OAL.

I run both SVI and STI Mags. In the STI mags I do run the spacers and Grams Guts, in the big sticks and STI guts in the 140's. They are all untuned and I have 3 Guns that run them all 100%. (4 big sticks and 6 140's). I run the Dawson SNL pads on the big sticks, I don't waste money on pads for 140's, if you need extra capacity whip out the big stick.

Edited by CocoBolo

• 8 years later...

With 115's I have run:

10.5 AA7

8.6 HS-6

9.4 3n38

8.3 Silhouette

8.8 Power Pistol

The HS-6, AA7 and Silhouette loads are the easiest to do without spilling, but Silhouette is the best of the three for that.  It is also my favorite powder for 9major with all factors considered.