Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sleep & Caffeine?

Do you tend to change the length you sleep the night before a match from your nightly norm?

Do you change the amount of caffeine you consume before a match compared to your daily routine? Do you drink caffeine during matches? Coffee, tea or sodies? Possibly those tiny rip-off bottles of Niacin elixir? Thanks.

Edited by Hotchkiss

I always change the amount of sleep before a match. Especially the larger ones.

I have only been playing this game for 2 years or so and I still get so excited that I cant sleep. On a usual night I am in bed and asleep by 10-10:30. On the night before a match I can't ever get to sleep before 12. I am usually getting up at 5:30 or so before a match as well. As for coffee, it is usually about the same routine as non match days.

Do you tend to change the length you sleep the night before a match from your nightly norm?

Do you change the amount of caffeine you consume before a match compared to your daily routine? Do you drink caffeine during matches? Coffee, tea or sodies? Possibly those tiny rip-off bottles of Niacin elixir? Thanks.

I do not do anything different, when it comes to sleep and caffeine. Having said that, I am a tea drinker. I consume a lot of hot tea sweetened with "local" honey. You will find me sipping my tea prematch and often during the match.

Don't change either if you can. I, too have trouble getting to sleep before a match, but insofar as the caffeine is concerned, don't change your consumption level from a "normal" day. Someone told me in college to "take the exam on the same dope you studied on" so my caffeine intake remains the same as a practice day! :roflol:

Alan~^~

I would reccomend that you don't change anything.

Part of the psychology of shooting matches, especially big, important ones is the feeling of:

Oh gosh this is really important i better make sure i do my best and get enough sleep and eat the right food check my gun did i forget anything will i make major i spent a lot of money to get here i hope i dont screw up.

None of this is at all helpful and is to be avoided.

Continuing your normal routine will help it feel like a normal day and you will shoot to the best of your current ability as it aligns with your expectations and your self image.

SA

I would reccomend that you don't change anything.

Part of the psychology of shooting matches, especially big, important ones is the feeling of:

Oh gosh this is really important i better make sure i do my best and get enough sleep and eat the right food check my gun did i forget anything will i make major i spent a lot of money to get here i hope i dont screw up.

None of this is at all helpful and is to be avoided.

Continuing your normal routine will help it feel like a normal day and you will shoot to the best of your current ability as it aligns with your expectations and your self image.

SA

I would think all three would be good ideas...

I dont change anything. I get my usual 7 hours of sleep, and my usual 1 cup of coffee or Monster Java in the morning, along with a small breakfast. Like Steve Anderson said, I treat big matches like a regular weekend club match. Same routine ..... same gun, same bullets, same brown targets ..... just shoot that stage like you do all the others, making each shot count. The big match seems more important, sure. But it is no different than last weeks local match. Maybe just more stages than normal. But shoot each stage 1 at a time, and you'll get through it like clockwork. :)

Match day is just another day. Go to sleep, get up, eat a decent breakfast, coffee or tea if you do, water is always good. bring water with you, you never know what will be available on the range. Bring a light lunch. a package of tuna will take the edge off and not fill you and slow you down.

The little 5-hours seem to work for me. For others not so much. I find that I feel more alert, but no jitters.

Recently stopped drinking coffee, maybe a cup on occasion, but no more quart thermos each day. I find I sleep no more than I used to, about 6 hours, but I get up refreshed as opposed to groggy.

So, don't worry, a match is a match is just another day. Each stage is just a stage, don't let one bad one toss you out. Each stage needs to be independent of the previous and successive.

If you stay up half the night worrying about how you will perform the next day, you will probably have something to worry about. Be well rested, well fed and have hour gear packed. Avoid the panic preparations in the morning.

More important than anything else, go have fun, ain't no one winning the big Buick, even at the Nationals. For all but a very very few, the cost of the match, the ammo and getting there will well exceed anything you are going to win.

I've found that ensuring a good nights sleep two nights before an event will help things go smoothly the day before and the day of the match (I adopted this from when I had been racing bicycles). Seems to help. The length of sleep doesn't change. For caffeine, I'll stick to the normal routine.

I agree with the earlier posts; for majors I just try to stick to my usual routine; get at least 6-7 hours sleep, light breakfast not too greasy and my regular dose of caffeine in the AM. If you're a drinker try and take it easy on the booze the night before (very, very hard when the match is in a place like Vegas :roflol: ) , sucks to shoot with a headache and beer shits :cheers: . Got to let loose a little if you're traveling, but try not to party to hard.

Edited by blaster113

The one thing I do different is to pre-hydrate if it's going to be very warm. I start drinking the "light" versions of Gatorade or Powerade along with extra water. Staying hydrated is more important to me than caffeine. If it's hot, I try to skip all forms of it. When it's really hot I see other shooters performance start to really suffer towards the end of the match. Dehydration leads to poor decision making and sluggishness. Caffeine amplifies this since it's a diuretic.

If it's cold, I will drink a Monster before the match and a 5hr Energy at lunch time. Keeps my motabilism up and I feel warmer. I get cold easy.

I am not a morning person - I shoot better after 10am. The only way I can get get going on a match morning is a 4 hour energy and I try to eat a protein rich breakfast so the sugar level stays even. I recommend staying well hydrated during the day and Gatorade alternating with water is a good answer for me.

Be sure to try the energy drink before a regular match and practice to be sure it does not make you shake.

The one thing I do different is to pre-hydrate if it's going to be very warm. I start drinking the "light" versions of Gatorade or Powerade along with extra water. Staying hydrated is more important to me than caffeine. If it's hot, I try to skip all forms of it. When it's really hot I see other shooters performance start to really suffer towards the end of the match. Dehydration leads to poor decision making and sluggishness. Caffeine amplifies this since it's a diuretic.

If it's cold, I will drink a Monster before the match and a 5hr Energy at lunch time. Keeps my motabilism up and I feel warmer. I get cold easy.

Hydration really is a key. On any demanding day I drink a quart of water or Gatorade with breakfast -- even if it's not so easy downing it. That really primes the pumps. Going to bed the night before well-watered is also important.

That five hour energy is a rip-off. Go to the cheap vitamin store and buy a big bottle of niacin and take several tabs...

I meant to say that I start to Pre-hydrate the day before. I left out that part. Starting the match off pre-hydrated means as I drink water I'm not in "catch up" mode during the day. Back in A&P class, the statistic was that 70% of Americans go day-to-day partially dehydrated. Then throw in physical excertion on a hot day and you are playing catch up to stay hydrated.

This is also important when planning "How to survive the postapocalypse." Stay hydrated, every day.

I'm pretty good about keeping fluids levels up, but I almost went down a couple years ago at the Tulsa Pro-Am. I grew up in the desert, spent some time in the "real" desert, but still almost fell out at Tulsa. If I would have had the gear I would have shot the last 3 stages with IV's in my arms. I will never forget what that felt like.

I always believed in practicing what you do and stick to it. So saying that before a match get the same amount of sleep/ caffeine that you have on a practice day. Because you are training your body and mind to be able to do the same skills over and over. The more variable that you add to your match days the more likely your body will react differently form the way it does in practice, (good or bad). I know that matches add in a lot of different variables that you cannot control such as adrenalin of the competition, but sleep and caffeine is some that you can control (to a point). I to get so excited that it is hard to sleep.

Usually don't sleep well before a match ... too excited.

Usually drink lots of coffee cuz I didn't sleep enough.

Usually perform poorly on the first stage (especially if there's steel) cuz I'm all hopped up!

I would love to keep things the same but I'm so excited I get less sleep. Sometimes take a sleep aid but not one that lasts and makes me feel drugged the next day. As far as caffiene I say do what you normally do or maybe one more than normal if you are tired. If not tired then stay with normal. The one thing I do is stay hydrated. I get leg cramps easily so now I start the day before and drink pedialtye. I can't drink much at a time because it is so rich but I drink it periodically the day before and the day of the match. Also drink lots of water and some G2 which I like better than gatorade.

even if i am used to sleeping late during workdays the night before a shoot is usally a struggle for me to get some shut eye. i wake up about 2 or three times during the night. i make it a point not to drink coffee or soda prior to the match. first stage is always a struggle for me. some of my shooting buddies tell me to shoot a few rounds before going up a stage. does not help. too much anxiety and adrenaline rush i suppose.

during the course of the match i drink about 1 to 2 liters of water. but if i get to the range around 10 am and stop for a lunch break that is were i notice some sluggish movement of my limbs after lunch. maybe i had too much.

one time i did not plan to shoot on a weekend. i just dropped by a friend's house to get my load and we just decided to check out the local range to see if there is anything going on. i shot a quite good for the day.

basically i think it all boils down to too much thinking the night before the match. it gets me on the edge alot.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a diesel mechanic for big rigs and such, we pull transmissions and clutches etc, a lot of it is very physical and working a 10 hour shift is very tiring. My problem is I work graveyard from 530pm to 400am. By the time I get home and ready for some shut eye its about 6am. I tried the all nighter last week and although I did well the first 5 stages I sat down in a chair when it started to bottleneck on the last stage (45min wait time @100+ degree weather) I started nodding off...when it was my turn I got up there and had a total meltdown.

No more all nighters for me, I stay away from caffeine as well and just drink water. I need at least 5 hours sleep and a light breakfast to focus otherwise I'm just wasting my time out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm like Reshoot-- I used to drink coffee by the gallon and tea sometimes, and now I'm mostly a tea drinker, usually slightly sweetened with honey from local bee keepers.

I find a light high-protein breakfast works well with me. In hot weather I'm very careful to pre-hydrate.

(When I was in the MPs, if we were in the field in hot weather, we had to drink a litre canteen of water an hour. I kept that procedure as a guideline)

If you're shooting in hot weather, be sure to hydrate! This has been mentioned in other places in this discussion and bears repeating. Pre-hydrate before you get to the range and keep hydrated once you get there. Gatorade works although it does have a high sugar content. You could dilute it a little bit or use the powder kind and mix it a little weak. I usually use Vitalyte (used to be called "Gookinade" [named after the guy who invented it] and then "Hydrolite") but I just read some info on Cera Sport that would suggest that might be a viable alternative. I know many ranges don't have modern restroom facilities and that is an issue for female shooters. Still, you have to be hydrated . . . http://www.ceraproductsinc.com or http://www.vitalyte.com

A little caffeine is a good thing. Too much is a bad thing.

If I really need a jump start and don't have access to brewed coffee, the various Java Monster canned coffee blends will really get your motor running and they taste pretty good.

Edited by Jeff22

even if i am used to sleeping late during workdays the night before a shoot is usally a struggle for me to get some shut eye. i wake up about 2 or three times during the night. i make it a point not to drink coffee or soda prior to the match. first stage is always a struggle for me. some of my shooting buddies tell me to shoot a few rounds before going up a stage. does not help. too much anxiety and adrenaline rush i suppose.

during the course of the match i drink about 1 to 2 liters of water. but if i get to the range around 10 am and stop for a lunch break that is were i notice some sluggish movement of my limbs after lunch. maybe i had too much.

one time i did not plan to shoot on a weekend. i just dropped by a friend's house to get my load and we just decided to check out the local range to see if there is anything going on. i shot a quite good for the day.

basically i think it all boils down to too much thinking the night before the match. it gets me on the edge alot.

I tried something last week that really helped. I took a 10-12 minute walk before the first stage -- I am a serious daily walker. I walked fast up and down a fairly steep hill. When I finished I was sweating so I drank a pint of Gatorade and cooled down. Once I was cool I changed my shirt and walked over to the first stage. I could feel the slight hint of endorphins with zero anxiety and a very clear mind.

It worked wonders for me...

I make sure not to change too much before a match. Other than refraining from alchol the night prior I keep everything the same.

The only things I have started to change recently is making sure i'm drinking lots of water the day before and that morning prior to the match, it has been a scorcher this year in Oklahoma and the heat is really getting to some of the competitiors. I didn't even notice the heat too much at my last match because I was keeping hydrated.