Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blown Up Rifle

I about had this happen to me last night. I had a squib that only went far enough into the barrel that it wouldn't allow the next round to completely seat (factory american eagle)... Thank god it didn't go further otherwise my new rifle would have exploded too....

What did that squib sound like to you?

I just left the range and made a couple of rounds with no powder with a primed case and tried shooting them. They made zero noise even with my electronic muffs on and the bullets never moved at all.

Could you give some more details of the upper/barrel/BCG, etc.

I have been intentionally vague about the rifles specifics because I don't believe the rifle is at fault. I also dnot want this to turn into a "I told you those were crap" thread. At this point I think I had a squib that barely left the chamber or had a bad case that left a bullet in the throat. The next round I stuffed into the gun chambered while pushing the bullet back caising an overpressured round with a blocked barrel and i lit it up with my super duper fast clearance drill and KB!

The lower survived the entire ordeal. I shot 200 rounds with it the morning in preparation for High Plains this weekend. We (I watched while the professionals worked) had to remove the bolt catch last night and smooth out some edges around the hole it sits in that were damaged when it was slammed the wrong way. Basically, the bolt catch spring and detent became compressed in their hole from the edge of the hole being marred and bent over the hole slightly. Not sure if that was the best explanation, actually I'm sure it wasn't the best explanation.

Last night I put the Swarovski on another upper that is identical to this one. It took a zero and pulled 1-2 MOA out to 300. That is a testament to that glass and the LaRue mount for sure.

Glad you are okay and that you got back on the horse!

Take care

I about had this happen to me last night. I had a squib that only went far enough into the barrel that it wouldn't allow the next round to completely seat (factory american eagle)... Thank god it didn't go further otherwise my new rifle would have exploded too....

What did that squib sound like to you?

I just left the range and made a couple of rounds with no powder with a primed case and tried shooting them. They made zero noise even with my electronic muffs on and the bullets never moved at all.

It didn't make any noise at all... I figured it was an FTE and then racked it with another round... It just a scary thought that it can do that much damage with such a simple problem...

I had something similar happen when a contaminated round fired the primer but the charge did not burn. The bullet lodged in the barrel but the next round did not chamber. I did not hear the pop that normally is heard with a squib round in a pistol so I racked in a new round but it would not go all the way into battery so saved me from the kaboom that you got.

Doug

The thing to look for when pulling the bolt back is powder spilling out of the brass. Sometimes it will hit your skin and other times, it will make a sound when hitting the ground.

I have only ever noticed it by accident in preventing shooting over a squib - and both times it was not on the clock. (Once with a pistol caliber carbine and once with a pistol)

It would be very difficult to catch that under pressure.

Edited by DyNo!

The thing to look for when pulling the bolt back is powder spilling out of the brass. Sometimes it will hit your skin and other times, it will make a sound when hitting the ground.

I have only ever noticed it by accident in preventing shooting over a squib - and both times it was not on the clock. (Once with a pistol caliber carbine and once with a pistol)

It would be very difficult to catch that under pressure.

The problem that I run into is that I use ear plugs, not electronic over the ear protection... So unless the gun goes bang, I don't hear anything at all...

So a squib in a rifle doesn't make any noise, huh?

I have witnessed a couple while RO'ing and I heard them. I do use electronic hearing protection.

Happy to hear you are ok, the gun is an easy fix. Is the barrel nut trashed?

I shake all of the rifle rounds I reload to verify that they have powder in them.

It's a pain in the ass but I've never had a rifle squib because of that. :cheers:

By the way, that's not criticism at all. You didn't do anything wrong - that could have happened to any of us and its good you came away in one piece.

I shake all of the rifle rounds I reload to verify that they have powder in them.

It's a pain in the ass but I've never had a rifle squib because of that. :cheers:

By the way, that's not criticism at all. You didn't do anything wrong - that could have happened to any of us and its good you came away in one piece.

Hell I weighed every round I loaded which is why I don't think it was a squib.