Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Falling Skies

KentG

Watched the pilot last nite. I had been looking fwd to it but now Im not sure. It looks like its determined to put characters in it that are politically correct and all that implies.

Ill watch a couple more but unless it improves a bunch Im done.

Edited by tnek

I missed most of it last night, but the little I saw just convinced me that there have been a lot of very similar movies lately. I recently watched Skyline and not that long ago saw Cloverfield. Have not yet seen Battle: Los Angeles but it sounds like the same thing. And there are a few more in there somewhere I don't recall.

Skyline and Cloverfield both had no beginning, middle, or end - unless you want to consider the probable destruction of life on Earth and end. At least they are closer to the "truth" - that if we ever were invaded, we'd be toasted pretty quickly. Any technology sufficiently advanced to manage interstellar travel probably wouldn't find us much of threat.

The interesting thing from a sociological standpoint is that the last time we when through a real rash of alien invasion movies and TV was the late 50's - early 60's. At the height of the cold war 'Red Menace'. There are a lot of social and political similarities with what's going on now.

I watched it and at this point am not overly excited about. Although I like sci-fi I'm not sure this will turn out to be anything different than the other already previously listed. Hell the only difference between this and Terminator is that they came from space and no Arnold. However I will watch another episode or two just to see where it goes.

I watched the first half hour last night but didn't have time to do more than that. The one thing that strikes me most is the way it starts. Essentially it just drops you into the story several months in with just a nod to the background in the form of some crayon drawings and a kid talking. Certainly less expensive than a full blown backstory.

I watched the first half hour last night but didn't have time to do more than that. The one thing that strikes me most is the way it starts. Essentially it just drops you into the story several months in with just a nod to the background in the form of some crayon drawings and a kid talking. Certainly less expensive than a full blown backstory.

I thought that was actually very effective and creepy -- and let's face it, we've seen alien invasions done to death, so until someone stages one that's the equivalent of what the "Saving Private Ryan" Normandy Invasion scene was to military beach landings, I'm not interested in seeing more mediocrity....

The rest of it -- not great, not bad -- I'm willing to give it a few weeks to see where it goes.....

I think they want to try and hook you on the show itself first. They will start working in some of the backstory eventually. They even started a little in the last episode with the doctor.

• 2 years later...

I've watched every episode.

If it keeps on like last night's episode..This was a great Series.... Not so impressed with the season opener. Now you see mechnical things with wings whisking people away to the mother ship...and the aliens dropping food.....The aliens can drop laser fences but can't catch one human on dirt bike....

To many frick'n commercials for another thing....

I wasn't all that impressed last night either. 4 months was an awful big window to skip over. Maybe the script will work backwards to tell the story about who ended up where. Tom is in some sort of loose confinement, Hal is out in the ghetto, Ben is in some hippie commune with his effed up sister, and Matt is in re-education camp?????

As far as the sister goes. I think Lexi needs to "look at the flowers ".

NO, DON'T LOOK AT THE FLOWERS!!!!

I guess Lexi's alien DNA gave her a growth spurt. Could it be Lexi is masking the humans in the hippie commune?

What about the Volm commander working with the Espheni? Something tells me Cochise doesn't know his father is doing that.

Keep in mind the skitters were chasing Tom on his bike, not the Espheni. He is in the ghetto with Hal and the others. Tom is just going for the soft escape, not force on force that he knows he'll lose.

BTW, there is a new guy running the show. That is why so many of us are surprised/disappointed on the direction. We're just not used to it, IMO.

I guess Lexi's alien DNA gave her a growth spurt. Could it be Lexi is masking the humans in the hippie commune?

Plausible, except Maggie seamed completely brain washed as well.

Plausible, except Maggie seamed completely brain washed as well.

Great point!! Could be Lexi has an alien power over her (and the other humans), but it won't work on Ben. The remnants of his harness make him immune.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...