Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

case lube cleanup?

I've been using the Hornady one shot for rifle cases for a while and I always have to wipe the cases clean after sizing. What are you guys doing to get the residue off the pistol brass after sizing?

Try putting the rounds on a towel and roll them back & forth from one end of it to the other. Hold one end in each hand, folded and move the ends up & down to do this. That should do the trick.

Alan~^~

I've been using the Hornady one shot for rifle cases for a while and I always have to wipe the cases clean after sizing. What are you guys doing to get the residue off the pistol brass after sizing?

If there is not a lot of lube, I don't even worry about it. However, if I do need to get it clean I will drop 100 rounds in my vibratory case cleaner with a tablespoon of alcohol in the media. 15 minutes later it is perfect. Don't use this process with a true tumbler, it needs to be vibratory. Detonations in the tumbler would be unfortunate.

With One Shot and pistol cases if you have to clean them afterwords you are simply using too much.

True Dat !

See just how little you can spray and still get the desired result. It is not like rifle brass.

Why are you lubing pistol brass? Most likely you have carbide dies, which don't normally need any lube, in my 40+ years of reloading the ONLY pistol caliber I've found that needs any lube is 44 magnum, for some reason my 44 mag cases do need to be lubed.

To remove lube from cases I just put them in the tumbler with walnut media for 15-20 minutes.

Never use Brasso in your tumbler, the ammonia in it attacks the brass. There are lots of polishes made for reloading that are suitable, but when you are removing lube you really don't want any additives in the media.

Edited by g56

With One Shot and pistol cases if you have to clean them afterwords you are simply using too much.

What Kevin said.

I lay a piece of plastic (heavy black trash bag cut so it will lay flat) on a table in my garage and dump the cases on it, with them on their side I just give a lite mist over them and maybe roll them back and forth or not.

Greg

I didn't use case lube for a while and then started to use it. I couldn't believe how much smoother it went. I think the first time I used it may have been too much. Lesson learned. I will throw them in the tumbler for ten min afterwards. Might not need to but for the small amount of ammo I do it's not that big of a hassle for me.

To get the lube off my rifle brass I put them back in plain old crushed walnut shells(Lizard Litter). I wanted to use it on my pistol brass to simply make it easier which it did. It took a couple of batches to get it so I didn't have to wipe them clean, but it was worth it. I flew thru about 500 like it was nothing. Rifle brass is a lot different, you have to lube them up good so there is no fear of sticking one. Pistol there is no worries of that. Thanks again, I'm a lube convert.

Why are you lubing pistol brass?

Many people don't lube pistol brass but it is at least 25% easier to load by doing so. Also, if you use a Udie it is just nuts to not use lube.

I am really not all that fond of reloading so anything that makes it easier and quicker is good. That includes case lube for pistol, case feeders and bullet feeders ;) (And I also use One Shot and leave it on)

Later,

Chuck

I tumble my finished reloads in walnut media with some NU Finish car polish for 20 to 30 minutes. They come out nice and shiney with a faint slippery feel, like teflon! It makes them SO much easier to case check. My Psychiatrist says I may need to increase my OCD medications:)

Why are you lubing pistol brass? Most likely you have carbide dies, which don't normally need any lube, in my 40+ years of reloading the ONLY pistol caliber I've found that needs any lube is 44 magnum, for some reason my 44 mag cases do need to be lubed.

To remove lube from cases I just put them in the tumbler with walnut media for 15-20 minutes.

Never use Brasso in your tumbler, the ammonia in it attacks the brass. There are lots of polishes made for reloading that are suitable, but when you are removing lube you really don't want any additives in the media.

I lube mine with Oneshot and tumble em with nufinish, I have noticed that when I polish my compleated cartiges they keep it's shine longer and not collect corrosion if sitting for a while...

The NuFinish probably leaves a little bit of an invisible film behind that discourages corrosion, its probably an acrylic finish and that would do it.