Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ordering a Dillon 550B

Getting a 550B and want to know what I can and can't do without. I don't feel like spending an extra $300 on accessories but I also want to be set and ready to go when I get it set up.

Thanks

Strong mount, roller handle, bullet tray.

I wish I were, once again, getting my first Dillon. Oh well, there's only one first time. Do it in this order:

1. Call Brian

2. Call Brian

3. Oh yeah. Call Brian.

4. To appease the search police, there are tons of usefull stuff in Search mode.

Enjoy your new toy. :cheers:

Looks like the "as it should BE" is what I'm going to go with. I think I will also get a few spare primer tubes and maybe a spare parts kit. I don't think theres a need to call and bug Brian when it's easy enough to figure out what I need from you guys.

I'm really only going to be loading .45ACP. Later I may start loading for different calibers but just 45 from the start.

I am wondering what I should do about a bench... Should I buy a table, bolt the table to the wall and floor? Or should I just build a bench? My workshop is going to be in my spare bedroom. It has carpet. And at some point I will be relocating the room downstairs when I refinish the basement.

I bought that as it should be with extra decapping pins, primer tubes and the spare parts kits. Glad I did and it has been smooth sailing since. The only thing I did not use was the DVD as someone came over, helped me set it up and ran some batches through with me. My first solo time, primer in case, bent the decap pin, needed new one. If I did not have the extra, would have been shut down immediately.

550 as it should be has served this beginner, thank you Brian for that.

Looks like the "as it should BE" is what I'm going to go with. I think I will also get a few spare primer tubes and maybe a spare parts kit. I don't think theres a need to call and bug Brian when it's easy enough to figure out what I need from you guys.

I'm really only going to be loading .45ACP. Later I may start loading for different calibers but just 45 from the start.

I am wondering what I should do about a bench... Should I buy a table, bolt the table to the wall and floor? Or should I just build a bench? My workshop is going to be in my spare bedroom. It has carpet. And at some point I will be relocating the room downstairs when I refinish the basement.

For the most reliable operation of the machine it is critical that any table, bench, etc that you use must not move at all during loading. In a spare room that you will want to convert back later I would screw 2x4's to the wall and build a bench. Once you move to the basement just spackle the holes and you'll never know the bench was there. Once you move to the basement just use bigger screws to attach it more permanently.

For the most reliable operation of the machine it is critical that any table, bench, etc that you use must not move at all during loading. In a spare room that you will want to convert back later I would screw 2x4's to the wall and build a bench. Once you move to the basement just spackle the holes and you'll never know the bench was there. Once you move to the basement just use bigger screws to attach it more permanently.

+1 no need to tear stuff up, its cheaper to buld your own. Careful when reloading in carpeted room, if your to vacumn your carpet, cause with powder particles falling from the press and losing a primer or two they can cause the Hoover to go kaboom!

Edited by MARKAVELI

There's no need to work under a 550B so Bolt it to the bench, I put two small pieces of 2x6 under mine. One section is far enough that I can use it for a tray to put a cut down cardboard bullet box on. The box holds around 300 bullets.

No need for the bullet tray. Roller handle is well worth the money, saves a sore hand on long reloading sessions.

I use powdered graphite as a lubricant on the primer bar. Calibers from Harbor Freight will work.

Spare parts kit will come in handy as thing do break when you least expect them to.

You'll need to set tool heads up in the calibers you want to load.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine, it's over twenty five years old.

• 2 weeks later...