Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To popple or not to popple?

Hammar

Hello: I have shot some with holes and some without the holes. You can do alot with load development and bullet weight. Still if you cannot get the results you are looking for then try some small holes. I like the "Hill Hell hole" setup better than the large holes. After I get back from our trip I will be trying out some comps without holes and then with the holes. As for being loud some pistols are very loud mostly the older style open pistols with large holes and short barrels. Thanks, Eric

I currently am shooting a Brazo's shorty, so I'm not concerned with blast or "loudness". I don't really notice any of that when I'm shooting (although everyone else around me certainly does...lol). Flat shooting and fast back on target is What im looking for. Haven't shoot many other guns and none without holes.

hammer who are you thinking about building the gun for you? you going local or what? If your using a local guy i would really like to see how the holes turn out if you that way. I am thinking of putting a couple on my stock trubor with the t1 comp.

So what say you all? Want to get a new open gun built and trying to decide weather or not to put holes in the barrel. My current gun has them. Many say they are unnecessary. I know I'm gonna get differing opinions here just wondering what y'all think and why.

Thanks.

ETA: going to be a 5" 38 super.

I shoot a Limcat with all the holes I can think off. hmmm the $$ of powder I use just lets me drink water instead of full lunch :surprise:

Yes it shoots flat and the recoil is managable (me wimp :ph34r: )

if you decide to go with holes, go with a conservative # and dont make the holes too big. it just depends on how you shoot and how you perceive recoil and dot bounce.

on my other # of open guns, I have one that only has 1 pop hole, 1/32 size and runs nearly same as my limcat, using autocomp, runs great at 170pf. higher loads make the felt recoil more than i can control and lower pf make the dot jump more than ideal.

Limcat guns (using N350) IMO, likes 170 to 173 pf for me get a good control but my buddy thinks after shooting it, is too much. so I believe, it really depends on the shooter feel and control of the dot..

:cheers:

hammer who are you thinking about building the gun for you? you going local or what? If your using a local guy i would really like to see how the holes turn out if you that way. I am thinking of putting a couple on my stock trubor with the t1 comp.

It's a local guy. My buddy shoots one of the guns he put holes in for, so i can probably get some pics for you at tomorrow's local match.

I think you nailed it, till you shoot it you just don't know for sure.

2 months ago I got my first open gun, no holes. I waited til after 3k rounds then I decided I needed the holes. I recently had a local gunsmith put 3 holes and was returned to me on the day of a match. With same load/ammo, shooting style and no practice getting used to the holes, it helped me speed up my 2nd shots. It worked for me. YMMV

8.0 3N37 PF 170 before, 8.0 3N37 PF 168 after. Just want to share my experience...

What size holes? Could you post some picks to give us a reference? Thanks

My smith called it a #3 hole, probably a metric drill bit size. Here is a link to a blown up picture that will give you a better idea: http://www.sashooter...ageViewsIndex=1

This one might be easier to see:

[/url]http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=731

We actually started with a smaller hole and didn't like the results so made it bigger and it flattend out and softened up. If you study the brazos guns he uses 4 smaller holes, hoever I've shot a gun with a Brazos comp with two holes slightly smaller than the size as the one in the picture and it was very nice, belongs to KevinG the Rudy guy, and he loves talking about his gun, I thought he was full of bull till I shot the gun. N105 with 121gr is his load, he said 9.5gr but I don't think that is enough in 38SC, must be a heck of fast barrel, its a Briley.

The TruBore I was referring to is one I sold to my smith, and he immediatley took the slide to the mill and proceeded to take it down to 10 oz. After the expierement on my gun he drilled his.. He is sponsoring a Master Class shooter with that gun and they run N105 w/124gr and it shoots a lot better than it did without the hole.

Is it roy ? If so man i will give you some free range time @ my place in Pass christian if you will let me run a few mags through it.

Yep, Roy Schmidt. He only lives a few blocks away from me.

Is it roy ? If so man i will give you some free range time @ my place in Pass christian if you will let me run a few mags through it.

Yep, Roy Schmidt. He only lives a few blocks away from me.

cool man i would really like to see it when he is done. If i am going to do my barrel I am sure its going to be roy doing it.

Edited by Mat Price

2 months ago I got my first open gun, no holes. I waited til after 3k rounds then I decided I needed the holes. I recently had a local gunsmith put 3 holes and was returned to me on the day of a match. With same load/ammo, shooting style and no practice getting used to the holes, it helped me speed up my 2nd shots. It worked for me. YMMV

8.0 3N37 PF 170 before, 8.0 3N37 PF 168 after. Just want to share my experience...

My smith called it a #3 hole, probably a metric drill bit size. Here is a link to a blown up picture that will give you a better idea: http://www.sashooter...ageViewsIndex=1

We actually started with a smaller hole and didn't like the results so made it bigger and it flattend out and softened up. If you study the brazos guns he uses 4 smaller holes, hoever I've shot a gun with a Brazos comp with two holes slightly smaller than the size as the one in the picture and it was very nice, belongs to KevinG the Rudy guy, and he loves talking about his gun, I thought he was full of bull till I shot the gun. N105 with 121gr is his load, he said 9.5gr but I don't think that is enough in 38SC, must be a heck of fast barrel, its a Briley.

The TruBore I was referring to is one I sold to my smith, and he immediatley took the slide to the mill and proceeded to take it down to 10 oz. After the expierement on my gun he drilled his.. He is sponsoring a Master Class shooter with that gun and they run N105 w/124gr and it shoots a lot better than it did without the hole.

Coco, I am just curious about the blast especially on your cmore lens, you are using the 90 degree cmore mount right? me too is contemplating of adding a poppple to my bbl, thanks

http://www.sashooter...p?g2_itemId=731

Coco, I am just curious about the blast especially on your cmore lens, you are using the 90 degree cmore mount right? me too is contemplating of adding a poppple to my bbl, thanks

In my full size gun with the poppel hole no issues. I use the Quinn I on that gun that puts the c-more foward towards the comp but still no issue. On my 4.13 short without a poppel hole it gets cleaned after every stage and on 32 round stages it gets hard to see before the end (again a foward mount). The Cheely and Quinn I put the C-more forward and I like it that way, the Quinn II puts the C-more at the very beginning of the slide.

In my full size gun with the poppel hole no issues. I use the Quinn I on that gun that puts the c-more foward towards the comp but still no issue. On my 4.13 short without a poppel hole it gets cleaned after every stage and on 32 round stages it gets hard to see before the end (again a foward mount). The Cheely and Quinn I put the C-more forward and I like it that way, the Quinn II puts the C-more at the very beginning of the slide.

Same here for me...in my 5" Trubor with two popples and my 4.25" Shorty with two popples, I have Quinn II mounts but I still have to clean my lens between each stage. Only takes a few seconds but I really need to do it, especially on the Shorty.

Switch to a "normal" mount with a blast shield, and you don't need to clean it even between matches! :) Even on a shorty with holes.

What you talking about the 90 degree mount is the normal mount, about any match you go to today the old up right is out numbered. I was the first in our area to go sideways and everyone laughed but now all those funny guys running sideways.

Fact is I shot that ugly upright mount and it had a Dawson Blast shield, I used the same amount of wipes on it as the SideMore, excluding shorty which I never had an ugly mount on.

Walmart $2.00 for a box of whipes, and while you are there get a box of clear shower caps so you can keep the sand out and still show off your pretty SideMore Mount.

or is it Gangsta Mount. :roflol:

I had fun watching the Upright antique mount guys shoot head shots Sunday where only half the upper A Zone and up was not covered by an upside down no shoot, they were aiming at nothing yep, over the top of the head and hitting the white. LOTTA NO SHOOT MIKES on that stage! Me no I put snake eyes on the targets with my Limited gun. :devil:

I think the idea is - if you repeat a myth enough times, it will become truth.

Fact is, the shift in POI by 1" makes absolutely no difference for people who manage the average spread of say, 10", and hit some C's. Should I even mention the D's? :)

As soon as my spreads become close to 1", I too will switch to the "crooked" mount... until then I am OK with what I have. I know where I need to improve my shooting, and it ain't the scope mount that will make my shooting better. I have used it for a while, and like many others, I shot worse with it.

The myth about shots being 1" too low creating real problems makes no practical sense at all. At our club we run matches where we shoot strange targets - the A zone is a 3" circle. I very rarely miss it, and only when I don't do my part, not because of my scope mount. And there is no particular way I miss it - I miss to the right, to the left, I hit above and below.

It is normal to search for some "magic bullet" that will make us better shooters, instead of concentrating on improving our skills... if a crooked scope makes someone feel better - why not? But in reality it has just one advantage, and that is for those guys who shoot both the scope and the iron sights.

BTW, at the latest match I recall seeing one crooked mount for 10-12 normal ones. With some exceptionally good shooters present, the guy with the 90 deg was one of the weakest.

Edited by Foxbat

Upright mounts are still in the majority in ECO, for whatever that's worth, though sideways mounts are showing up in greater numbers.

At any rate we've drifted pretty far from the original topic...

I think the idea is - if you repeat a myth enough times, it will become truth.

Fact is, the shift in POI by 1" makes absolutely no difference for people who manage the average spread of say, 10", and hit some C's. Should I even mention the D's? :)

As soon as my spreads become close to 1", I too will switch to the "crooked" mount... until then I am OK with what I have. I know where I need to improve my shooting, and it ain't the scope mount that will make my shooting better. I have used it for a while, and like many others, I shot worse with it.

The myth about shots being 1" too low creating real problems makes no practical sense at all. At our club we run matches where we shoot strange targets - the A zone is a 3" circle. I very rarely miss it, and only when I don't do my part, not because of my scope mount. And there is no particular way I miss it - I miss to the right, to the left, I hit above and below.

It is normal to search for some "magic bullet" that will make us better shooters, instead of concentrating on improving our skills... if a crooked scope makes someone feel better - why not? But in reality it has just one advantage, and that is for those guys who shoot both the scope and the iron sights.

BTW, at the latest match I recall seeing one crooked mount for 10-12 normal ones. With some exceptionally good shooters present, the guy with the 90 deg was one of the weakest.

I'll quit stealing the thread. Last Sunday we had 54 shooters 16 open Class - 5 have upright, 1 aim point, and 10 SideMores. Limited 22, and production 9, L10 6, + 1 SS, +1 WheelGun. So its reginal I guess, we don't worry about snow blindness here.

There is a place for the Upright, Old school shooters and the Smithsonian. A mind is like a parachute it is no good if it isn't open.

• 2 months later...

A couple of questions... I was discussing putting popple holes into my gun with Benny Hill and he suggested that putting holes into a barrel with a cone comp might be a problem, this confused me a little because it is my understanding that Brazos Sx uses a cone comp with popples (but maybe past the cone). The other question I have is does this affect the accuracy of the gun (drilling into the rifling) or the longevity of the barrel. I guess I am wondering what the downside of popple holes are.

Brazos usually uses a bull barrel in his pro sx'. A cone comp in a shorty would probably be a little light unless you were going for a steel or minor pf pistol.

Done correctly, bbl holes will not affect accuracy/longevity IMO.

JL Hardy did holes in Cmdr-length, cone-comped guns (though he also did some 4.5" Trubor blanks, which Brazos machined, IIRC; AFAIK, that's what Brazos uses in the Sx now). Nary an issue.

Edited by diehli

Are the links working for everyone? I am very interested in the pictures.

Are the links working for everyone? I am very interested in the pictures.

The link works for me, its a #3 hole, according to the smith, and I think that is the number on the drill bit index. Keep in mind if its not broke don't fix it, I have 3 guns with no holes and one with the hole. Why not the other 3, because they ain't broke, shoot nice and flat, Dawson DP-2.