Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing Protection?

Do you wear ear plugs, muffs, both or something else? When I go to the public range I wear both -- disposable foam plugs and my Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs. When I shoot 22's in competition I use only the plugs as I can't get a good cheek weld while wearing the muffs.

Interestingly enough when I go to centerfire pistol matches or 3Gun matches it seems like EVERYONE is wearing at least muffs if not both. I am also amazed to see how much some muffs cost (no pun.) The problem I find is that I can't always tell if I have hit a steel plate if I nail it right on one of the mounting bolts...

I wear both plugs and muffs. I have the cheap muffs from whatever bargain box store I can find and with both devices in place they work great.

As you progress you will learn to call your shots as the trigger breaks. Listening for a hit will become a thing of the past. There are drills you can do to practice the skill of calling your shot. Searching this forum would be a great place to start. Once you learn how to call your shots, your times will go down greatly.

Most of the time I wear earmuffs when shooting, whether .22s or centerfire. I have basic muffs that normally cost $20 or less since I've lost at least 3 pair in my life.

As for plugs, I normally carry a couple of pair in all of my various range bags, pistol rugs and vehicles. I never know when I might misplace,. or just want another pair, or decide the muffs are just too hot that particular day for shooting. Mostly they are just the cheap foam version. I have seen custom plugs that some people get. They are really nice and the owners swear by them. I just never wanted to spend the money.

I use both Howard Leight SmartFit Plugs and Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs, indoors and outdoors. I prefer to be extra cautious about my ears.

I do need a real timer though. I use the surefire timer app on my iphone but I can't hear it indoors.

I have molded ear plugs i wear at the range when not shooting. when it my turn to shoot, i put my muffs on over the plugs. help reduce any flinch impluse to an explosion in my hands :blush:

I wear both plugs and muffs. I have the cheap muffs from whatever bargain box store I can find and with both devices in place they work great.

As you progress you will learn to call your shots as the trigger breaks. Listening for a hit will become a thing of the past. There are drills you can do to practice the skill of calling your shot. Searching this forum would be a great place to start. Once you learn how to call your shots, your times will go down greatly.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it...

Advice from an old shooter, take good care of your hearing, it's not fun missing out on conversations.

+1 on that! My hearing loss is from childhood ear infections as opposed to loud noise damage, but hearing loss is hearing loss and as Bob said, it really sucks not being able to hear normal conversation!

BTW, I use the best electronic muffs I can get and don't use ear plugs. It just drives me nuts to have anything stuck in my ears. My ear doctor has told me that I have very small ear canals and that is probably the reason for that.

Depends on what I am shooting, time of year, what mood I am in... I have a pair of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X muffs but I also use simple foam plugs. In addition to protecting your hearing, the muffs also protect your ears from sunburn and freezing in the winter but sometimes I just kinda like the foamies. If I were smart however, I'd likely use both.

• 3 weeks later...

i for some reason get sensitive with my hearing. with a good muffled sound it helps your shooting a lot. a loud bang will make you flinch and blink. I double plug all the time.

Both the wife and I have custom molded earplugs and we usually use electronic Howard Leight muffs over top for indoors and outdoors.

I do the same. Use the custom plugs for the best noise reduction and the electronics to amplifiy so I can hear people and the buzzer. They cut out when the stick goes bang and I get the protection of the plugs and muffs.

Edited by Hammar

I also wear MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X muffs. The volume adjustment is very good on these muffs so I just turn them down or off when shooting my open gun. I can get a good cheek weld wearing them when shooting rifles also. When shooting .22 rimfire I just use throw away foam pl.ugs

Edited by Jaxshooter

For indoor ranges, I use both. The closed space really amplifies the sounds and I just need it sometimes.

Outdoors, around MOST guns, I'll just use muffs. I only put in plugs under the muffs if someone on the line is shooting something with a muzzle brake.

Other exception: when shooting my AR15, it's plugs only. For some reason I can't get close enough to the stock to line up with the sights if I'm wearing muffs. That's the only rifle that gives me that issue though.

Edited by MGMorden

I'm a music lover, so I'm pretty paranoid about damaging my hearing. Plugs and muffs for me - especially when I'm shooting indoors.

Edited by mudman

I double up indoors with foamies and earmuffs.

Outdoors I find that foamies are enough if I put them in properly. There's a youtube video out there (I'm too new to post links!) of a sound engineer showing the proper way to put them in; after I watched it, I realized that I'd been using ear plugs wrong my entire life.

Man them open guns are loud! go with both. I spent a few year in an artillery battery (175MM and 8 Inch self propelled) and some of the guys didn't pay attention when they were told about hearing protection. A lot of them are near stone deaf as they near 60 years old. I used teh ear protection and I still have suffered some hearing loss from years of shooting with only cheap muffs or improperly installed earplugs. I'm amazed how many shooters of high powered rifles I can get to improve their shooting by doubling up their ear protectction. As some here have mentioned, it is not just for you shooting, it's for the guys shooting next to you.