Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Hi cap for Limited gun

bubbagum

I am trying to decide between a SA limited gun and a STI. I have a couple SA guns and really like them. I was planning to get an STI because that seems to be the standard these days but was wondering what people thought of the SA hi cap frames. I shoot a Glock 35 right now and think I would like either gun but want to know other peoples experience with the SA. If you had a choice between two similar quality builds what would you choose and why?

The S.A. is basically a Para-Ordnance frame (if it's the one that I am thinking about).

The advantages (or disadvantages, depending on how you look at things) are mainly about weight. The all-Steel high capacity guns are heavy as heck. Recoil absorption, yes; fast-handling, no.

The STI design also features a grip frame that flexes slightly in recoil. This absorbs some of the shock, despite it being significantly lighter. The center-of-gravity on the STI is also further forward, especially in the long/wide dustcover frames (but IMHO, the long/wide is overkill).

My preference (besides a Glock) is the STI design.

To-may-to or to-mah-to. It comes down to what's more important for you and how it feels to you.

I actually just held one of the new wide body SA's today and it is CHUNKY...... Some folks say a Para is "square" in the grip. To me the SA was lots more "Square". It really weird feel to me. I would say check one out close. The weight wasn't nearly the issue to me as the grip shape was. The area under the trigger guard was especially uncomfortable.

I have a wide body Para and while I can't say what you may prefer, the wide body SA was nowhere near the Para in comfort. Between the two you asked about, I would go STI, but it really comes down to what you like.

It doesn't have to be either or. Springfield Custom Shop built me a 2011 on an STI frame with a SV steel grip just like I wanted it and did it at a pretty reasonable price.

post-11742-042344700 1307509453_thumb.jp

Edited by badchad

WOW, That is a beautiful gun. The steel grip may be the ticket. I don't know anyone with a SA wide body but have shot a Para and a Caspian when they first came out. I find the STI grip more comfortable but just don't like the idea of all that plastic. If I wanted plastic I would just stick with my Glock.

I've been working on a Springfield hi-cap Limited gun for six years. I'm a single stacker all the way, don't have much time on Paras or S_Is, and find the Springfield grip workable. In some ways, I like it better than a single stack, as I have long fingers and the larger grip circumference has more room to get more of both hands in contact with the frame. Since the Springer is offered now only in .45 ACP "G.I." form, they take quite a bit of work to get into something resembling Limited-ready form. I decided to stick with .45, as 18+1 seems like a bottomless mag to someone who's used to 8+1, but some will insist on .40, and that's going to be a custom build by someone. I have a bushing barrel and FLGR in my gun now, and the weight and balance seem OK to me. The early Springfield hi-caps had forged frames, and I thought that was a real plus, but the newer ones are cast, and while that's not necessarily bad, it's something of which to be aware. The area under the trigger guard is shaped really weird, with a sort of hump where there could/should be some material removed, and I had that part of the frame recontoured while the beavertail and magwell were being done; it feels good, now.

There are still some forged framed guns around if you look for them, it's a better choice than the current cast frame. You can do more with the forged frame when it comes to parts. SV's ITS trigger system can be used, also SV mags can be used with a modified mag catch. The grip doesn't feel squared on the front strap if you have it checkered. The factory grip panels can be epoxied with grit without adding too much more to the width. Or you can wrap the grip area with grip tape. Here's a HC I did in in 10mm. I like the Caspian-Springfield- SV (metal grip)platforms if your looking for more weight in your hand.

Rich

post-1700-0-68621300-1307578116_thumb.gi

• 2 weeks later...
:blush: Agree with with RIIID forged is the way to go. Got mine more than a few years ago, got bomar site installed, I think it was a wilson beaver-tail, dawson fiber-oped front site,bushing barrel, triger job to 4 lbs, para magazines, or meggar work, dawson basepads and guts, I thinks it was a old dawson magwell that I bought from someone. Yes 18 rnds with the weight of a forged frame yea it's heavy, but if you're like me their is nothing like a good 45apc in your hand, yea a 40 s&w would give ya 20 or 21 rnds but could cost mega bucks t have made from a 45, if you have to have a 40, I've got one of the xdm 40, and they are a sweet gun :rolleyes: , and yes reloads are cheaper, and yes I like it, but it still sits on the shelve while I carry and compete with my 45 :sight:

I have shot both and honestly, the Paras are way underrated. A buddy of mine bought one for $400 and it was worth every penny. I do prefer the STI, but not for the price premium they bring. A good trigger in a Para with some good mags that hold 20+ and you've got yourself a great limited gun.

I shoot an STI Eagle myself, but I wouldn't feel undergunned with a Para. Equipment just doesn't matter that much.

@RIIID

The gun I was looking at was one of yours. I ended up buying it and got the gun today. You do great work; this gun is perfect. The frame feels perfect in my big hands. 1911s always felt a bit off but the wider frame and square front strap feel perfect.

@RIIID

The gun I was looking at was one of yours. I ended up buying it and got the gun today. You do great work; this gun is perfect. The frame feels perfect in my big hands. 1911s always felt a bit off but the wider frame and square front strap feel perfect.

His triggers are second to none, I have to say.

I actually just held one of the new wide body SA's today and it is CHUNKY...... Some folks say a Para is "square" in the grip. To me the SA was lots more "Square". It really weird feel to me. I would say check one out close. The weight wasn't nearly the issue to me as the grip shape was. The area under the trigger guard was especially uncomfortable.

I have a wide body Para and while I can't say what you may prefer, the wide body SA was nowhere near the Para in comfort. Between the two you asked about, I would go STI, but it really comes down to what you like.

I completely agree about the SA widebody. I like Springfield guns, but the STI grip feels perfect to me (especially once it is contoured and stippled).

• 1 month later...

i bought a pair of SA's and this started out as an older .45 hi-cap, and Springfield built it up to be part of a interchangeable slide setup with a single stack frame. the .38S slide is from a Custom SHop modified .38S mil-spec, and the 9mm slide was built by them (using a Nowlins barrel) by them as well. i haven't gotten around to making changes to the hi-cap frame yet.

1230044380_dqNY3-L.jpg

1230043807_edcfA-L.jpg

1230028355_tCjBU-L.jpg