Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel for 18" rifle 3gun build

stoked4AA

Any experience with the following barrels. Lother walther, JP (wilson), Bravo company, Leija. Ill be ordering a mid-weight contour barrel 18" rifle length gas system. Shooting 55gr bullets mostly. What would be a reason to pick one over the other? Are all barrels at this price point the same in accuracy and durability? Its going to be for 3 gun but i only want to buy once.

No, with 2 out of 3 of those brands you're going to get an absolute piece of junk barrel that isn't capable of holding 5MOA :roflol: They're all great manufacturers - the barrel is going to out shoot you 99% of the time. Reason for picking one over the others? Price. Seriously man -it's 3 gun, not 600 and 1000yd benchrest.

Any experience with the following barrels. Lother walther, JP (wilson), Bravo company, Leija. Ill be ordering a mid-weight contour barrel 18" rifle length gas system. Shooting 55gr bullets mostly. What would be a reason to pick one over the other? Are all barrels at this price point the same in accuracy and durability? Its going to be for 3 gun but i only want to buy once.

The reasons to pick one over the other is price and longevity. LW will last the longest of the stainless barrels. If you are going to shoot it, get bored quickly and get rid of it to build something else then go with the least expensive. For a not inexpensive but very long lasting alternative look at Johnson Tactical Rifles nitrided barrels.

I personally have several LW barrels and they perform very well, very consistently. My JTR barrels are being turned this week so I don't have hands on experience with them yet, soon.... I also have the 16" Nordic/Wilson and it shoots well also but I doubt it will last anywhere near as long as the LW. Yet, it is so inexpensive I could afford to replace it every six months if needed, which it won't.

I personally bought the JP 18" barrel kit from Shooters Connection. Comes with everything you need to bolt it on an upper. Comp, adjustable gas block, fitted high performance bolt. Excellent barrel and profile for 3 gunning.

went through this recently and after a lot of agonizing went with the Noveske light profile 18" and a Titan comp

will be putting it together this evening and shooting over the eekend

I am going to run the fixed lo pro gas block that comes with the barrel for a while and hoping that they have their intermediate gas system well tuned.

I played with about 8 different barrels and found the jp to shoot the best for me. Likes the WO as well but life in them seems short. With the jp s I can easily hit a 8" plate at 500 if I do my job. Don't need more than that for three gun. Plus they support the sport

What would last longer out of the LW, noveske or Johnson nitrided?

I'm building another rifle and was leaning toward the 18" Noveske lightweight.

Mick

That is a tough one but probably the Johnson Nitrided, then the LW and Noveske. All of them will probably last longer then you will shoot it. 18+ thousand rounds or more is a lot of rounds. Ask Kevin at JTR, he will know far better then I. Nice guy and very knowledgeable.

Here is a little more info from JTR.

That is a tough one but probably the Johnson Nitrided, then the LW and Noveske. All of them will probably last longer then you will shoot it. 18+ thousand rounds or more is a lot of rounds. Ask Kevin at JTR, he will know far better then I. Nice guy and very knowledgeable.

:rolleyes:

Edited by cold

I had a Lother Walther 20" and I now have a JP 18". Both hold MOA out to 300 with ease. The JP has a weird profile with that .9+ at after the had block and skinny .63ish under the hand guard. I dont love the muzzle heavy feel of my 18" JP. I plan to give one of their new light contour 18" a try this summer hopefully.

Edited by jtischauser

:rolleyes:

Come on, give us your personal experience and opinions instead of an emoticon. You get to shoot all the cool Noveske stuff and have tons of experience with all kinds of things. Share the wealth :cheers:

Yesterday I tested a brand new Bravo Company 18"/rifle gas upper. It shot a 1" group at 200 yards with my standard 69gr Sierra Match King/maximum AA2230 load. More than good enough for 3-gunning.

The only barrels I have of the ones mentioned are Bravo Company. Both 16" mid and 18" rifle, SS410, button rifled.

Both of them will hold extreme spreads of ~.86" - 1.06" over 3, 10-round groups averaged at 100 yards using 69 SMKs over a moderate load of RE-15. Mean radius is usually in the .28" - .33" range for the individual 10-rd. groups; opens up to a bit when overlayed. Good enough for me.

There's no real difference between the two except velocity loss and a small difference in recoil.

I would imagine any of the barrels mentioned in this thread could do the same. For 3-gun, you probably won't notice much difference in accuracy in the button rifled SS barrels.

• 2 weeks later...

The Walther and Lilja barrels are made to a higher standard than the other two. They are both uniform to within .0001 from end to end as long as they are S/S,the chrome moly (blue) barrels are .0002. The others are at best .0002 barrels. With that said, I don't think you would notice the difference in a 3gun rifle. Long range is where the best barrels truly shine. Krieger barrels are also .0001 barrels.

Enjoy

The test of a three gun barrel is how they shoot when they get hot. Shoot a 10 shot group at 100, then shoot 90 rounds at hoser speeds, then shoot another 10 round group. If the two groups are similar, and not shifted, you got a good barrel, no matter who made it. I like the Lilja's and the JP's. But I am a looser, So buy whatever you like and share your results.

Edited by Stlhead