Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Portable reloader

i have been thinkin of getting a cheap enough reloader to be brought

to the shooting range and find a good loads to different guns. What would

you guys recommend as a reloader? Thinkin of Dillon 550 that can be clamped

on a bench, then off course with a tool box full of different powders.

i have been thinkin of getting a cheap enough reloader to be brought

to the shooting range and find a good loads to different guns. What would

you guys recommend as a reloader? Thinkin of Dillon 550 that can be clamped

on a bench, then off course with a tool box full of different powders.

Unless you're going to reload the rest of your rounds on that same reloader, you could be stting yourself up for consistency issues if the powder drop/OAL/crimp/whatever varied from your portable unit to your primary press.

What I'd like to see would be an enclosed chrono/backstop setup that would let me chrono indoors or nearer the press. Then you could run off 10 or 20 rounds, test, adjust, repeat until you had your desired results.

BB

See it all the time with Benchresters and precision rifle guys.... They tend to use arbor presses with hand dies or single stages.

Single stage works pretty well with some prep work before range time. Consider prepping some brass with sizing, belling (if pistola) and priming before you go. Powder measures like Redding with a small stand and clamped down work well, make sure to take scales, have your seat die and crimp die set with locking rings and viola......

Just boil it down to what you need.

>Size and prime your brass at home.

>Scale, with a wind block.

>Seat your bullets with a Lee hand press

>Crimp with another lee hand press

You need two lee hand presses and shell holders. All you are doing is load testing and you need not get too involved, right.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=665540

Edited by dugout

There was another post somewhere with someone who rigged a mount up for a SDB to go into the receiver hitch of his jeep. I can't remember where it was posted. He was doing the same thing you are talking about.

Seems simple enough. If you mount a 550 to a strongmount on your regular loading bench, couldn't you unbolt press and strongmount together, to move it onto a separate, portable frame for use on-site? When you have the press set up for load you want, bring the whole thing back, re-attach the press and strongmount to the permanent bench, and load away.

Use a loader 'range bag' for wrenches, flip trays, pick-up tubes, and other accountrements.

There was another post somewhere with someone who rigged a mount up for a SDB to go into the receiver hitch of his jeep. I can't remember where it was posted. He was doing the same thing you are talking about.

That is the ticket. You just mount it in your receiver hitch and can use the same press that you load on normally. Can't really beat it, as even with a 1050, it doesn't take long.

Mounting the press using the receiver hitch works well. I have a single stage Rockchucker set up this way.

The more difficult part is getting accurate powder weights. My electronic scales are very sensitive to wind. Without some sort of windscreen I would not trust my powder weights. Fortunately at my range there is a small shed where I can get out of the wind and weigh powder.

That is the ticket. You just mount it in your receiver hitch and can use the same press that you load on normally. Can't really beat it, as even with a 1050, it doesn't take long.

Ed,

I was at the AM/PM the other day, and a guy had a small trailer that was a portable loading bench behind his trailer. He had three presses on it, but they were covered up so I couldn't see what it was he had on it. It was an old robust steel desk with a large wood top, bolted to a small single axle trailer.It had boxes for his stuff. Seemed he could have even fit targets on that thing if he wanted to. I should have taken a picture.

Ed,

I was at the AM/PM the other day, and a guy had a small trailer that was a portable loading bench behind his trailer. He had three presses on it, but they were covered up so I couldn't see what it was he had on it. It was an old robust steel desk with a large wood top, bolted to a small single axle trailer.It had boxes for his stuff. Seemed he could have even fit targets on that thing if he wanted to. I should have taken a picture.

Dang! that would be awesome to see..

• 1 month later...
The more difficult part is getting accurate powder weights. My electronic scales are very sensitive to wind. Without some sort of windscreen I would not trust my powder weights. Fortunately at my range there is a small shed where I can get out of the wind and weigh powder.

I recall something someone said one time about this. He carried his stuff in a wooden box with a hinged lid. At the range he emptied the box and turned on it's side and setup the scales inside the box to act as a wind break.