Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First range day with the new gun.

Sarge

Took the new gun to the range for the first time today. Here is what I learned:

The gun ran perfect through 500 rounds. I know this is a pretty small test sample but the ejection was perfect even with a 9mm with a conventional mount.

Uh..., there is quite a difference between 9 minor and 9 MAJOR! :roflol:

Finding the dot weak hand is a challenge! Other than that finding the dot is not too terribly hard usually.

If you can't find the dot it is easy to miss a ten yard target!:surprise:

My drills are all a little slower than they were with my G34. I hate starting over!:angry2:

Head shots at twenty yards are now doable.

I can hit a golf ball at fifteen yards.:cheers:

I don't think my gun is going to run on 3N37 like it does for many others. My 7.8 loads only chrono'd 163 so I upped it to 8.1 and only got 166. The case is nearing the full point and the primers were getting pretty flat.

7.2 Auto Comp on the other hand made 170 easily. And the primers were not flattened much if any at all and the load felt nicer than the 3N37.

7.8 Silhouette didn't come close either.

Looks like I'll go with Auto Comp for now.

My hands are a little sore from the new grip and the battering the gun handed out to me.

All in all it was a great day and I could not be happier with my decision to go Open.

Thanks to:

Matt Cheely for building me an awesome gun!

Shooter's Connection for all the support and parts to make it happen.

Chris Keen for tuning my mags and teaching me a whole lot.

Kevin

Finding the dot weak hand is a challenge! Other than that finding the dot is not too terribly hard usually.

i'm in the same boat you're in...new to open (after many years of production for me). like you, i found it pretty easy to find the dot..until match day when i tried to lean around corners, both right and left. that didn't work out very well. enjoy the gun...

Hello: 3N37 is a little hard on the hand. Silhouette and HS-6 are easier on the hand. I have not tried Auto Comp. You may want to try rifle primers or magnum primers with 3N37. You may want to try the sideways mount it makes going from irons to a dot easier. The more I shoot an open pistol the more I likey :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I love autocomp, its cheap clean and consistant.

7625 is my backup it has the best dot tracking of all powders i tried, not the softest but the dot returns where it started faster than most powders ive tried too. autocomp comes close to the qualities of 7625 but less powder to spill on the press, and just a touch softer in the hand. i have heard 7625 is too fast but not for me.

finding the dot for me if im using two hands and cant find it i just lift the muzzle and it appears. i drill i do is draw the gun with my trigger finger indexed along the frame and point at the target with your finger and the dot is there too.

while shooting weakhanded its the opposite i have to lower the muzzle to find the dot.

Congrats Kevin.

Autocomp makes everything easier for 9 Major, i've even stepped it up to 7.4gr for a little more gas and it keeps the muzzle flip to a minimum. I used Federal SPP for my Chrono's and had no flattening, leaking or piercing. I started using the Rifle Primers as Insurance.

124MG JHP

7.4 AC

1.170 OAL

.365 Crimp

WSRP

1400fps is average

173PF

Oh and left hand finding the Dot = Left hand, left thumb on safety gun will naturally tilt to the right extend arm 3/4 and whammo...insta dot. (at least it works for me)

Congrats again! :cheers: