Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry firing while balancing on one foot

DonovanM

Anyone do this?

I did it for 20 or so minutes today, just draw-sight picture-reload-sight picture. I'm gonna try to work on transitions next.

I have a habit of moving my hips to meet my hand whether I'm going for my gun or a magazine, and this is doing well to keep my lower body neutral.

It also gives my ego something to occupy itself with and letting my subconscious direct my actions with my hands.

I think I'll add it to my normal routine :D

Actually what your doing is good, and thinking outside the box. when you come into a position you will be shooting with one foot down while the other is settling in. So what your are doing is beneficial, also when you shoot on the move sometimes you are shooting with one foot up, so what you are doing is good practice.

Try this one:

get a 55gallon drum, have one target out there and shoot it as fast as you can while moving as fast as you can around the 55gallon drum. Try to stay as close to the drum as possible. Go clockwise and counter clockwise. Then tell me what you learned!

Try this one:

get a 55gallon drum, have one target out there and shoot it as fast as you can while moving as fast as you can around the 55gallon drum. Try to stay as close to the drum as possible. Go clockwise and counter clockwise. Then tell me what you learned!

Or try 2, or 3 (in a triangle) and weave in and out , while not knocking over barrels but staying close while shooting any number targets (2 is fun, 3 is a :wacko: ). Learned that one in Strader's class.

Mike Hughes does similar dryfire drills with weights and cardio added.

I saw that. God I would kill for a gym like that.

The barrel trick sounds awesome too.

Edited by DonovanM

• 1 month later...

If it increases your confidence and self image, it's a great idea.

If I had spent a lot of time dry firing on one leg and then went to the "inaugural simulated-amputee single stack challenge", I'd be full of confidence and that would be a good thing.

What a stage designer seeks to do is distract you from the shooting. You could practive every conceivable distraction to prepare for any eventuality...

... or you could ignore the distractions and shoot.

At the risk of sounding like a washed up, semi-retired former-GM, I'll submit this:

When I was at the top of my game, no stage design scared me. No matter what they made us do, I knew that we all had to do it and if I could ignore the distractions, we'd be back to shooting bullets at targets.

Anything that helps that is good.

If it increases your confidence and self image, it's a great idea.

If I had spent a lot of time dry firing on one leg and then went to the "inaugural simulated-amputee single stack challenge", I'd be full of confidence and that would be a good thing.

What a stage designer seeks to do is distract you from the shooting. You could practive every conceivable distraction to prepare for any eventuality...

... or you could ignore the distractions and shoot.

At the risk of sounding like a washed up, semi-retired former-GM, I'll submit this:

When I was at the top of my game, no stage design scared me. No matter what they made us do, I knew that we all had to do it and if I could ignore the distractions, we'd be back to shooting bullets at targets.

Anything that helps that is good.

I really haven't done it much more than a few times, but it's not that I'm practicing it thinking it will directly benefit some odd stage design requirement. I do it to break up the monotony of dry fire and to force myself to pay attention to staying balanced, thus freeing up my subconscious to operate the gun. I suppose it does increase my confidence a bit. Thanks for your comments, good to see you back :D

Edited by DonovanM

Too funny. I want to know how he got that way without sweeping himself. :roflol:

Lots of practice!

:)

Long ago, I set up a stage that pretty much everyone hated me for. It was three targets, somewhere around 10 - 12 yards. You had to draw and shoot 2 hits on each target - while standing on your left leg only, then reload and repeat - while shooting standing on your right leg only. Yea it was silly I know.

be

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this! Probably a dumb question... But what kind of laser system is he using for his dry fire practice?

It's called a SIRT pistol, and is his own design.

Thanks for sharing this! Probably a dumb question... But what kind of laser system is he using for his dry fire practice?

It's called a SIRT pistol, and is his own design.

thank you sir!! i checked them out.. they are awesome.