Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home Gunsmith work by an idiot

RUSHARP2

So first..I am the idiot. Second, I though I would save a little time and money by doing a little work myself. So I got the drill and bits and set to opening up the gas ports on my Remington 1100 barrel. Got one side done, then broke 3 drill bits in a row on the second, and cant even see the opening any more. Not sure if the barrel is shot or not, but it is going to cost me either way.

Maybe it was my subconscious guiding me me to get a new shotgun. Worst of all there is a three gun match tomorrow.

man am I stupid.

Shouldn't be shot. If you have a friend with a mill and some knowledge it is saveable. No rifling to screw up as it's a smooth bore barrel. Automotive brake cylinder will knock down any burrs on the inside.

Pat

Matt, you're a dumbass.

(someone had to say it)

You already know it.

God help you to get it corrected soon (before you need it in your next match).

I've done similar last-minute corrections. They hardly ever turn out well.

There's a Law named after some peckerhead named Murphy that has providence. I hate that bastard.

Mark, Thanks for those kinds words. They picked my spirits right up!

I may need to move this to the what I like forum soon. My wife agreed to let me spring for a new gun, or at least agreed to an amount for a new to me gun.

Matt

I've done similar last-minute corrections. They hardly ever turn out well.

There's a Law named after some peckerhead named Murphy that has providence. I hate that bastard.

How many times do I have to tell you folks.... Murphy is a woman!

Pat

If it makes you feel any worse, I did mine at the range with a cordless drill. I drilled it with 3 different bits until I got it where I wanted and it worked perfectly for years.

Just like you to pour salt in an open wound..... :roflol:

And, this thread is worthless without pics!

All is not lost.

Take a piece of the last bit you broke, grind the tip flat and make punch to tap out the broken piece inside the gas part. The results make not look pretty as you may end up with a bur on either side of the gas port (yeah, including inside the barrel) but those can be polished out.

Now whether its too late to get out and test fire the gun is up to you, the time zone, and whether any neighbors or the wife are listening :o

Too much good advice here, so I got a punch and removed the stuck piece and drilled the hole with a better bit, or at least one meant for hard steel. Happy to say the gun is back together in the safe. I need to take it to the range and make sure it runs, but all is good for now.

Still getting a new gun though...my wife's idea.

Thanks for all the help.

I once fitted and blended an Ed Brown beavertail on my heirloom 1953 Colt Commander lightweight using.... a dremel tool and then hand sanding and filing :surprise: In retrospect I could have really, really screwed up a virtually antique firearm. Somehow I managed to take my time and go very, very carefully using the Ed Brown jig to remove all of the heavy excess and then hand filing/sanding everything else. I am by no means a gunsmith...not anywhere even close. After the beavertail I even got cocky and flared the ejection port with the same dremel tool and then did a counter sunk slide stop hole with a cut-off wheel and an RCBS chamfering tool, lol. At least I got to breathe a sigh of relief when my gunsmith saw it and was like "Well damn son, you didn't do too bad at all on that."

Before:

5288_917886031995_12404877_50791212_6946520_n.jpg

5288_917886022015_12404877_50791211_1832699_n.jpg

After:

7130_950845111735_12404877_52061449_384664_n.jpg

7130_950845116725_12404877_52061450_8070637_n.jpg

Edited by cardiackid

could probably move this to the like section....

Shot it over the weekend at a three gun match. Ran like a top, on my normal AA, and some federal cheap stuff.

Only problem is that I have a slightly used Benelli M1 on its way to me. Told the wife I would sell the 1100 when the M1 is up and running. Guess I need to keep the safe doors closed for a while!

Matt

My open gun started sending rounds out of bounds, aka the bullets were touching the comp walls. With a major match just a few days away no time to be hunting down a smith. Took the ends off a dillon primer tube wrapped some 400 grit sand paper around it secured with some masking tape and chucked it up in a variable speed drill. Hit the trigger and let-er-spin a bit, inspected the results with the comp wall opening being nice and shiney. Went to the range and it shot nice groups again.

Before I did it the wife asked, aren't you afraid you are going to mess it up, and I asked how much worse could it be?