Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help deciding on a 9mm for SSP

EurAzn12

I'm thinking about trying out the 9mm world (always shot .45) and I'm thinkin about shooting SSP a bit too, mix it up ya know? In any case I'm askin if anyone's had good/ bad experience with these pistols and recommendations for either, I know this'll end up turnin into a Chevy/Ford argument but I'd at least like to know the pros/cons of either :D Thanks for the help

-Sid

[edit]- Just wanted to put another metal frame in there that I've been eyeballing...

Edited by EurAzn12

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both are cons, The DA/SA transition of CZ isnt the best for the job, and the lack of assesories today, and probably nonexistant assesories in the future of the GP6 not to mention the cost and availability of magazines doesnt make the STI a great choice either.

I know the urge is always there to reinvent the wheel and a shooter can overcome less than perfect equipment, alot of people myself included shoot less than ideal guns just because we like them, but the best tool for the job hasnt changed for SSP, 5 inch striker fired short reset consistent trigger, 9mm with readily available magazines and parts that is reliable and accurate and can hold at least 11 rounds re-loadable.

Edited by Joe4d

I'd go with the CZ...in fact I'm considering trading my Glock 34 for one to use in SSP. After shooting a 9mm 1911 in ESP for a while I really like the idea of an all-steel gun for SSP. I wouldn't be too concerned with the traditional DA trigger. You're only gonna have 12 or so double-action pulls through a major match, and the rest are going to be relatively light single-action pulls.

I'd go with the CZ...in fact I'm considering trading my Glock 34 for one to use in SSP. After shooting a 9mm 1911 in ESP for a while I really like the idea of an all-steel gun for SSP. I wouldn't be too concerned with the traditional DA trigger. You're only gonna have 12 or so double-action pulls through a major match, and the rest are going to be relatively light single-action pulls.

I was looking at the Glock 34, you don't like it?

It's ok, but I'm at a point where I'm less than intrigued with plastic pistols.

I think this weekend I'm gonna be able to test shoot one, we'll see. Anything specific you don't like? Recoil management, trigger etc?

I think this weekend I'm gonna be able to test shoot one, we'll see. Anything specific you don't like? Recoil management, trigger etc?

The trigger is what I'm most displeased with. It's hard to make one Glock trigger just like another due to the loose tolerances. Mine is mushy, and there's nothing I can do (that won't affect the reliability) to make it anything but.

I shoot a G34 and love it. Some mild trigger work and a set of Warren sevigney sights and grip tape and she is good to go. Consistent and reliable. The Glocks and M&P rule SSP right now

+1 G34 for IDPA/SSP and USPSA/Production. Grip tape, sights, ISMI 13lb recoil spring on stock Glock rod, Jager striker, & Wolff RP striker spring. 100% reliable in my sample size of 1. YMMV. Oh, and my dozen or so spare mags were cheap and easy to find.

:cheers:

-Randy

Another question, what's a typical price to pay for the trigger and other mentioned upgrades? Not familiar with Glock aftermarket stuff...

The G-34 is a great SSP gun (there's nothing wrong with a G-17 either). For somewhere around $35- $40 you can get a Wolff Competition spring kit and 3.5# connector. A few minutes with a file and you have an excellent trigger. Mal

The trigger is what I'm most displeased with. It's hard to make one Glock trigger just like another due to the loose tolerances. Mine is mushy, and there's nothing I can do (that won't affect the reliability) to make it anything but.

Green Glocks have cooties :P

Well I used the lone wolf trigger kit and polished very lightly and used the 6# trigger return spring and now have a lighter than factory pull with a heavy return and wow does it make a difference. Learn to ride the reset and u r basically shooting a single action lol

is the sp01 legal for idpa? i thought it was a smidge to heavy (but many people report that changing the grips is enough to squeak it in under the limit). I shoot a cz75 in idpa, mostly because that's what I own and I prefer a real da/sa for carry and general use. It takes some practice to deal with the disparate trigger pulls, but I don't think practice and learning is a bad thing.

The main reason i like the cz is it fits my hand like a glove and points very naturally and instinctively. It might or might not do the same for you, so I would try one and see what you think.

I also have a s&w 40c, and the stock trigger on mine is very very nice and easy to shoot accurately. If a full-sized 9 or 40 feels as good, I would probably consider something in that line too. They fit my hand well also (with the large backstrap). I personally just can't get comfortable with a glock, but if you can, that might be a great choice also. Stop worrying about it, just buy and shoot.

Get the gun that suits YOU.

There is a reason that the G-34 is a dominate gun in IDPA. Longer sight radius, etc.

Many love the CZ, especially the new one. Send Strick a message. He is a master class shooter and loves his CZ. The top SSP shooter at the Italy National last year won with a CZ.

Each has it's advantage, each a disadvantage.

My pref is the G-34 which I made master with in ESP and SSP but then I love shooting my 1911's in CDP and ESP as well....so each his own....but what do I know? I'm shooting a revolver now :rolleyes:

motosapiens- I do believe it's legal if you modify it a little bit to make weight, it should come in right around 38ounces and the phantom's even lighter.

dskinsler- thanks for the info on what you did, if I go through with the G34 I'm sure I'll be making some modifications and that'll come in handy. I do like the aftermarket support Glock has and the availability of everything for them.

solaritx- thanks for the heads up, I'll find him and send a PM. With the CZ I'm curious what people like, the decocker or safety or the phantom model.