Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What options for 1X optics?

So astigmatism will distort the reticle?

It does for a red dot and I'm going to presume that it does the same with a one of the reflex sights.

The Leupold Prismatic - I don't know. As far as I can tell, it does not effect standard or illuminated reticles - at least not the ones I have seen - but I'm not sure how the Leupold works. The name implies it is reflecting something.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the two mentioned plus the Leupold Prismatic (which appears to be a good scope as well), are there any other non-red dot 1x optics? DyNo, what is the Pris you mentioned a couple times (or is that short for Prismatics)?

I had the same question. I haven't spent much time with the non-red dot Trijicon and Mepro but both appear to have tinted lenses.

...The large reticle and the blue tint combine to cause me problems at ranges of 200 yards or more...

How does the tint affect shooting at 200 yards or more? I don't use 1x optics so I am trying to determine their pros and cons. I realize the Mepro 21 I am considering has a blue tint to its lens so I am interested in yours and others views on the subject.

A dirty grey sub 4MOA bullet marked piece of steel with no backer is already hard enough to see with the naked eye under some circumstances. Reducing the amount of light can make it invisible under the right circumstances. Heck, even with iron sights (and no tint), I recall having great difficulty on one set of targets at the 2010 Mississippi Multigun. The sun was low at the time and a set of black poppers with no backers were 200 yards away in low light under trees providing shade. When looking through a black aperture, those targets disappeared for me and the only reason I hit any of them was because I shot where I thought they might be.

The Leupold Prismatic - I don't know. As far as I can tell, it does not effect standard or illuminated reticles - at least not the ones I have seen - but I'm not sure how the Leupold works. The name implies it is reflecting something.

I haven't experienced any smearing of the reticule.

Addendum to my question: The Mepro and Trijicon are both Reflex sights - that is to say they are reflecting a light beam off of a glass surface in much the same way as a red dot does. I'm not certain if they are free of the smearing seen with red dots. I'm not sure how the Leupold works, but my assumption is that it is the same as any illuminated rifle scope but smaller and without magnification.

Yup, what I tell folks is that it's like a variable stuck on 1X.

I have a question about people using the Prismatic, how good is it when dealing with parallax? One of the things I like about plain red dots is that I can mount them pretty much anywhere as eye relief doesn't matter as much, and shooting from ackward positions is somewhat easier. How does that work with Prismatic which seems to have 'real' optics in it.

Kelly how do you deal with cant at longer ranges with the circle type reticule? It would seem that the crosshair type would help with that, thats one problem I have with pure dots.

Also how bright is the Prismatic in full sun.

You have to shoot it with the cheek weld you zeroed it with or you'll witness a POI shift. It is pretty forgiving but it is present and you can't float your face in front of it like a dot if you're shooting at a small target or at a distance. I'm not sure about Kelly but since the bottom of my rail is square, I just keep it parallel with the direction I think is down.

I've got a question for Kellyn as well. How do you approach shooting long distance targets? 400-550 yards. I'm working on getting a knob on mine and I'd love to see a BDC reticule if you can convince them to make it. :cheers:

Edited by DyNo!

...The large reticle and the blue tint combine to cause me problems at ranges of 200 yards or more...

How does the tint affect shooting at 200 yards or more? I don't use 1x optics so I am trying to determine their pros and cons. I realize the Mepro 21 I am considering has a blue tint to its lens so I am interested in yours and others views on the subject.

It is a bit like having sunglasses on. Bright sunlight and clearly defined targets out in the open, no problem. Put a stage in the woods, with some targets set back in vegetation in shadows and dappling sunlight at longer range, problem.

It is a bit like having sunglasses on. Bright sunlight and clearly defined targets out in the open, no problem. Put a stage in the woods, with some targets set back in vegetation in shadows and dappling sunlight at longer range, problem.

:sick: Bummer. Thank you though.

Not sure why the tinted lens coating is percieved as a problem by some. It is not nearly as dark as sunglasses. It is there to bring back color rendition and provide a more optimal background for the reticule. I have never had an issue shooting into shade with either my mepro or reflex II. I also have a slight astigmatism which made a comet in the aimpoint. Only slight distortion with these.

Not sure why the tinted lens coating is percieved as a problem by some. It is not nearly as dark as sunglasses. It is there to bring back color rendition and provide a more optimal background for the reticule. I have never had an issue shooting into shade with either my mepro or reflex II. I also have a slight astigmatism which made a comet in the aimpoint. Only slight distortion with these.

So the images below have me a little worried about the tint. Seems like the blue washes away some color instead of increasing color rendition. Are these images non-representative of real-life use? I understand the tint helps with reticle visibility, but if I can't see the target what good is the reticle? Btw, I like the concept of the Mepro 21 sight a lot. That's why I am asking all these questions about it.

100_1941.jpg

mako-mepro-m21-reticle-az.jpg

I will look thru mine tomorrow in the daylight looking into shaded areas. I do not recall that amount of blue looking thru mine. I think much of what's in those photos may be a bit of an anomoly of the camera sensors.

I will look thru mine tomorrow in the daylight looking into shaded areas. I do not recall that amount of blue looking thru mine. I think much of what's in those photos may be a bit of an anomoly of the camera sensors.

I hope you're right. Btw, which reticle are you using and how do you like it?

Cam you've just about talked me into ordering a pris. I gotta keep up with you fast guys.

I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

Et tu, Brute?

Cam you've just about talked me into ordering a pris. I gotta keep up with you fast guys.

I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

Et tu, Brute?

Ha Ha good one. After talking to my coach(3 year old son) he advised me stop such foolish talk, get off the heavy equipment more often and practice with those irons. Sounds like a solid plan to me.

Bryan, I hope you run your regular HM rig at the pro/am.

Ryan

Et tu, Brute?

Ha Ha good one. After talking to my coach(3 year old son) he advised me stop such foolish talk, get off the heavy equipment more often and practice with those irons. Sounds like a solid plan to me.

Bryan, I hope you run your regular HM rig at the pro/am.

Ryan

:)

I'll still talk to you if you use one of those fancy things w/ the wires inside it.

I may shoot my M1A, will probably shoot my Nova, but I think I'm gonna switch to a handgun w/ a little more capacity for the Pro-Am.

On the subject of the tint in the scope, that is one reason I have never wanted one. I have never used one and never viewed one on a stage. I can tell you however that from looking at them in the store that while it might not be as bad as pictured in these photos that based on the tint I saw, I was not interested in one.

Anybody have any experience with one of these? Is it a true 1x?

Midway has them for $180 so the price is right if they would work and be acceptable in the newly defined iron or 1x optic division.

Nikon Buckmasters Rifle Scope 1x 20mm Black Powder Nikoplex Reticle Matte - $179

I had a Reflex for a while. Had issues with the tint in a training class. They had some poppers painted blue. Couldn't see them at all. Just totally disappeared. That's the last tinted scope I bought. I am kicking around the idea of picking up a Pris. Just waiting till I can get one with the CM-R2 reticle that matches my SPR and CQ/T.

Et tu, Brute?

:)

I'll still talk to you if you use one of those fancy things w/ the wires inside it.

:cheers:

As someone else said - just think, if Tac-Optics shooters are sheep, "Lim-Optics" shooters are the most elite sheep. :roflol:

Perhaps the question should be, which 1x device will work best under a wide variety of conditions? Shooting on the move; targets at varying distances; varying light conditions; less than perfect body position; minimum parallax problems; etc.

Perhaps the question should be, which 1x device will work best under a wide variety of conditions? Shooting on the move; targets at varying distances; varying light conditions; less than perfect body position; minimum parallax problems; etc.

That's easy, an Eotech :ph34r:

Yep...Kyle, do you use the BDC on your XPS 2-2? At what distance?

Being of the KISS mindset, I like single dot. I don't use BDC in my scope, so why use it with a red dot?

If the reticle isn't "crisp" to you, you should be focusing on the target, not the scope.

Edited by mmchambers06

This is just with my eyes, but one thing I have noticed with the dot scopes on rifles is the "comet" shaped dot appears when I am wearing shooting glasses. Take em off, and the "tail" goes away. adjust my head so the lense of the glasses I am wearing are close to perpendicular to the line of sight, and the tail shrinks or goes away.

I can also reduce this "comet" down to near nothing by adjusting the dot intensity down to the bare minimum, which I do on long shots, (I keep it bright and glaring on hoser stuff)

This "comet" apears for me on Aimpoints, Eotechs, Burris, et all...

I like a single dot. With irons I have a single aiming point that I know the holdovers/unders of, and I just transfer that set of balistics to the dot.

I've been shooting both this year, and for me I find the dot is a bit faster than irons. Again thats just me, YMMV...

jj