Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

old school reloaders

I was sitting here reading all of the info available at my finger tips here on the B. Enos forum and I started to choke up (JK) at how easy the internet and the old school reloaders who post here have made my reloading life so easy for me! :cheers:

It must have been a real pain in the ass learning how to reload before the internet. It's not like you can go down to the local library and gather data or powder information. There are many necessary tidbits of info here not available in any reloading manuals, like using Mineral spirits, Nu Finish, and crushed walnut bird bedding to polish your brass! I Learned to reload 9mm minor using a dillon 650 in 2 days with 2 reloading manuals, a few text messages, and this great forum. I also learned that it was "ok" that my Dillon primer tube feed exploded and that I wasn't the only one who has experienced this!

I am going to pump out 500 rounds in the am and I want to say cheers to all who paved the way so that "special" folks could also learn to reload! :roflol:

When I started reloading back in 1968 the internet was in the very distant future. In 1985 when I got my Dillon RL550 it was still in the distance, if someone had used the word "internet" nobody would know what the heck they were talking about. ;)

Back in another life, three of us used to work all day on Saturday casting, sizing lead bullets and taking turns on a Rock Chucker so we could have 200 rounds to shoot on Sunday afternoon, those were hard earned rounds.

My 650 will turn out better rounds in less than a hour than we turned out all day, but it was fun then and it's still fun today just a heck of a lot faster.

oh yeah, i was taught on a single stage and was happy with it, till....i started shooting action pistol competitions!!!! and realized that what i burned ina weekend took me all week to load...then i got a drink ofthe blue koolaid(dillon) bought one, taught 2 other friends on it how easy it was to load quality rounds in volume...they in turn bought one...before the internet??? lots of books and magazines on anything to do with reloading

I was sitting here reading all of the info available at my finger tips here on the B. Enos forum and I started to choke up (JK) at how easy the internet and the old school reloaders who post here have made my reloading life so easy for me! :cheers:

It must have been a real pain in the ass learning how to reload before the internet. It's not like you can go down to the local library and gather data or powder information. There are many necessary tidbits of info here not available in any reloading manuals, like using Mineral spirits, Nu Finish, and crushed walnut bird bedding to polish your brass! I Learned to reload 9mm minor using a dillon 650 in 2 days with 2 reloading manuals, a few text messages, and this great forum. I also learned that it was "ok" that my Dillon primer tube feed exploded and that I wasn't the only one who has experienced this!

I am going to pump out 500 rounds in the am and I want to say cheers to all who paved the way so that "special" folks could also learn to reload! :roflol:

Oh yeah, back in the day when a bullet had to be pulled, we used our teeth :roflol:

me! :cheers:

I also learned that it was "ok" that my Dillon primer tube feed exploded and that I wasn't the only one who has experienced this!

I don't know why that happens with the 650's heard it happens quit a bit. Never heard of that with the 550b.

When I started reloading, there were almost no reloading supplies around except some bullets. You had to search for a gun store that sold powder or primers. Powders available rather easily were Hercules, IMR, and Alcan.

Of course, at the time you could walk into Sears and walk out with a nice revolver or rifle, or shotgun. I could drop off my rifle or shotgun with the school principal and walk out of town with the gun on my shoulder and no one thought any thing of it.

If I had any money, I could have purchased milsurp 1911s for about $50 and P-08s for about $70 from J&G Sales.

I still do not KNOW any one around me who reloads. I am a curmudgeon and mind my own business (except on the forums).

When I started reloading, you had to buy .357" jacketed bullets for your 9x19 because supplies of 0.355 bullets was pretty much non-existent. These bullets were generally more accurate since almost all 9x19 guns were milsurp and had large bore diameters with 0.357" being about as small as most barrels went. Never had any problems, even in S&W 9mm's where the barrels were 0.355-0.3555".

You had few sources of data and learned how to work up loads yourself. You bought every reloading manual you could find. If you had some data but not for the specific weight or powder available, you did one of the following:

1) took data for a heavier bullet

or

2) took data for a given company's faster powder (provided it was the same type of powder; i.e. if you didn't have data for Green Dot, then you used Bullseye or Red Dot data and worked up)

to establish starting loads.

Handloader magazine and, I think, Nick Nolte were your best friends for information.

When I started reloading, there were almost no reloading supplies around except some bullets. You had to search for a gun store that sold powder or primers. Powders available rather easily were Hercules, IMR, and Alcan.

Of course, at the time you could walk into Sears and walk out with a nice revolver or rifle, or shotgun. I could drop off my rifle or shotgun with the school principal and walk out of town with the gun on my shoulder and no one thought any thing of it.

If I had any money, I could have purchased milsurp 1911s for about $50 and P-08s for about $70 from J&G Sales.

I still do not KNOW any one around me who reloads. I am a curmudgeon and mind my own business (except on the forums).

When I started reloading, you had to buy .357" jacketed bullets for your 9x19 because supplies of 0.355 bullets was pretty much non-existent. These bullets were generally more accurate since almost all 9x19 guns were milsurp and had large bore diameters with 0.357" being about as small as most barrels went. Never had any problems, even in S&W 9mm's where the barrels were 0.355-0.3555".

You had few sources of data and learned how to work up loads yourself. You bought every reloading manual you could find. If you had some data but not for the specific weight or powder available, you did one of the following:

1) took data for a heavier bullet

or

2) took data for a given company's faster powder (provided it was the same type of powder; i.e. if you didn't have data for Green Dot, then you used Bullseye or Red Dot data and worked up)

to establish starting loads.

Handloader magazine and, I think, Nick Nolte were your best friends for information.

Man, that was a trip down memory lane!

I was most fortunate when I started, for an accomplished reloader was available to help me. The guy owned a gun shop / carry out. Yeah, buy your beer and firearms at one stop! He did not stock a large variety of components, mostly the things that he used. But, he would get me anything I needed.

Oh yeah, have walked the streets of Malta - McConnelsville many a time with a gun on may shoulder, or my hip. No one even took a second look.

The world has gone to hell in a hand bag, I tell ya!

I learned to reload in the pre-Internet era (early '80s). I actually started out with a Lee Loader; still have it somewhere. Moved on to a Lee turret press, and then bought a used RL 450 in 1987 (which I still have and use). Reloading manuals were the best investment I made; also read plenty of articles in gun mags and found a few books with info on reloading. One of my better sources was Gil Hebard's "Pistol Shooter's Treasury".

I started on a rock chucker, gave it away a few years back, first time I thought about swaging some rounds started kicking my self, seen the price and how weenie the new ones are made and am still kicking my self, have had a 550 for over 20 years so loading is sweet. The biggest thing for me was when cheap accurate crony’s came about. That gave me a measuring stick I had never had before.

I can remember taking a plane from anchorage to Seattle with the barrel of my hunting rifle sticking out of the duffel bag between my legs and ammo inside it. No one cared, walked around Seattle and got on a bus like that, and still no one cared.

When I was transferred in the service, 1967 flew from Seattle to Memphis with a single action colt pistol and holster in a carry on bag, that won't happen again. I didn't learn reloading till I was discharged from the Navy and we bought supply's local from York Arms. Primers were in hundred packs for sixty five cents the best I remember. Powder was always bought in a one pound can. Seems we always had revolvers and shot hotter loads and fewer rounds. Wore out some nice old Smiths with those heavy loads.

Moved from the rock chucker to a turret press and thought I was downtown because I didn't have to readjust the dies.

On the plus side one of my old friends called the other night and I took him some 223 brass, so the old rock chucker's back in business along with his TC in 223.

Back when I started reloading (late 70's) I used a Lyman grey and red 6 station turret press, which I still have. At that time about the only lead bullets available was the Speer swagged bullets, which were pretty soft so I started casting my own with a Lee Production Pot and Lyman 4 cavity molds. I used mostly wheel weights which were free for me, but you could still find linotype lead and when I got my hands on some I would mix it with the wheel weights and use it for 357 and 44 mag. bullets. I even dabbled a little with cast bullets in my 30-06 for jackrabbit hunting! I still have most of the casting and reloading stuff I've acquired over the years, even though I haven't cast a bullet in over 10 years now, and haven't used anything but my Dillon 550 for reloading for the last 15 years.

I learned to reload in the pre-Internet era (early '80s). I actually started out with a Lee Loader; still have it somewhere. Moved on to a Lee turret press, and then bought a used RL 450 in 1987 (which I still have and use). Reloading manuals were the best investment I made; also read plenty of articles in gun mags and found a few books with info on reloading. One of my better sources was Gil Hebard's "Pistol Shooter's Treasury".

Similar path...

Started on a Lee Loader in 1980. I don't know how many primers I set off while seating them. Moved to a Lyman Turret in 81. I used it until a couple years ago when I started this sport and could no longer keep up and got 550.

I started in '82 with a Rockchucker, then a C&H Autochamp (a major PITA), borrowed a Star for a year, bought a 550 and then finally a 1050 (in 1989).

Edited by gregdavidl

I started in 1980 with a Rock Chucker kit my dad gave me for my birthday. My brother pitched in and bought dies, powder and primers. Other than the manuals, there was no reference info. If you were lucky you had 2 manuals. Gun stores sold some reloading supplies. You might have to drive to one to get bullets, and another to get primers.

I remember going into a store one time to buy 500 Speer lead RN bullets for my HiPower. I wrote a check and was getting out my license. The guy said, "I don't need that. I never had a bad check from a reloader." That was the first time this long-haired college kid knew it was an elite group.

Every once in awhile they'd be some old customer leaning on the counter and he's ask what calibers I was reloading. We'd get to talking and I'd learn a new trick. So the way I see it, if you learned something that's great. I'm happy to share what was freely given to me. But I'm not doing anything more than standing on someone else's shoulders.

;)

I too appreciate everyones helpful advise. This is my second round of the gun hobby. The first time started about 1979, Bought a used Model 13, Nickle plated S&W shot it a few hundred times and got hooked, next thing you know I had a FFL and was buying and selling like a mad man. First press, Lee Turret., Loaded everything on it. .380, 38/357 mag, 9mm, 44 mag, 45acp, .223, .280 rem, .270, 30/30, 30/06. Local gun shop had reloading supplies in stock. Times were great, you could drive out west of town along one of the canals and shoot all day. No one cared. There were big berms built up from where they had dug the canals and as far as I know no one ever got hurt. The good old days.... I got out of the gun hobby in about 1990. I have had every hobby know to man and have made it back to guns :cheers:

I started in 1975 loading 9MM on a Lee Hand loader. I graduated to a RCBS Junior a guy was selling. I was lucky that a friends Grandfather was an avid hand loader. He was a wealth of knowledge. I still have a Speer reloading guide he gave me with hand written notes on some pages.

Living in Ma things have truly changed. Wes used to test his loads out the back door and then go in a tweak a little. Try that now around here :surprise:

I started in the late '70's on a Herter's press. Talk about a single stage monster! It weighed about three times what a Rockchucker did. I loaded thousands of .38 Special 148 HBWC's over 2.7 grains of Bullseye. After I got hired as a police officer in 1982 (we were issued 4" Model 66 revolvers) I started loading 158 grain leas semi-wadcutters because they were easier to get in the cylinder using speed-loaders. I also loaded a pile of .45 ACP lead 200 grain semi-wadecutters over 6.0 grains of WW 231. I stopped reloading about 1990-, only to get re-started when I took up USPSA in July of 2010.

Talk about a single stage monster! It weighed about three times what a Rockchucker did.

Sounds like my old set-up :blush:

When I got started in USPSA last year I used my old single stage press for a few weeks. Soon realized I couldn't keep up with the volume of ammo I was using.

Quickly sold off a few things to fund a progressive. Still use my single stage for most of my rifle loads and for the sizing step of my 223's.

Ever see a 45acp in an ammomaster? :goof:

0409100023.jpg

My great grandfather was an awesome gunsmith from the 40s until he died in the late 70s. My father used to use his data to reload, and I would help him by lubing cases on a large ink pad with lanolin impregnated into it. I used to have to pay for my own bullets with my paper route money. I remember watching lots of TV and drinking Pepsi while rolling those cases on that pad while he ran the press. "We" used to load .38, .44 spl/mag, and .357 too. Later .41 mag. When we started buying surplus ammo, we stopped reloading as we could get bulk ammo for a fraction of the cost. We would load once in a great while, then a friend got a RL450, and a Square Deal, and he would load for us. When he moved I got his loaders. I still load on that same Square Deal.

Many summer nights spent around that old press with my dad. Good times, and great memories. I've preferred my own reloads ever since.

Talk about a single stage monster! It weighed about three times what a Rockchucker did.

When I got started in USPSA last year I used my old single stage press for a few weeks. Soon realized I couldn't keep up with the volume of ammo I was using.

Quickly sold off a few things to fund a progressive. Still use my single stage for most of my rifle loads and for the sizing step of my 223's.

0409100023.jpg

Where did you find that dinasour!

Edited by Red Ryder

0409100023.jpg

Where did you find that dinasour!

Can you load Flint Lock with that?

Edited by Red Ryder