Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apparently the 1050 is not bullet-proof

Sizing, depriming, and swaging some 223 on the 1050 tonight...two loud pops later....

Pic 1

Pic 2

According to Dillon this massive chunk of iron is a consumable part and I get to pay for a new one...bummer!

Edited by mleeber

Sizing, depriming, and swaging some 223 on the 1050 tonight...two loud pops later....

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

According to Dillon this massive chunk of iron is a consumable part and I get to pay for a new one...bummer!

The 1050 is rated as an industrial machine and as such it doesn't get the normal warranty. The reason being is buisness use it as a reloader and they put far more wear and tear on them than individual shooters do.

Pat

I would have a chittey chat with Dillon's customer service first .....

You did buy the machine right from the get go knowing fully that it wasn't under their lifetime NO BS warranty, right?

Oh yeah...I am well aware of Dillon's warranty or lack thereof on the 1050 and all their electric parts. Have a RF100 that was an absolute piece of junk until I bought the upgraded rheostat which should have been treated like a recall rather than a $30 upgrade. I have no problem paying for parts that wear out but c'mon, this chunk of iron is not a consumable or part that should wear out. In looking at the metal where it broke you can see that it was a poor casting. I am actually very surprised that the part is cast when it could be easily machined out of bar making it stronger. I am hoping the replacement part is a bit more robust.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

The 1050 is rated as an industrial machine and as such it doesn't get the normal warranty. The reason being is buisness use it as a reloader and they put far more wear and tear on them than individual shooters do.

Pat

I was thinking about sending it to Dillon and letting them look at it, the casting defects are pretty obvious. I think I am a little more sensitive to this because of the RF100 issue having just bought the upgrade after using it as a paper weight for the last 3 years.....

What the heck part is that?

Also don't kid yourself on the "commercial grade machine" marketing. There is no other press on the market that compares to the Super 1050 so Dillon doesn't have to use the No BS warranty as a value added service like with the other presses since there's no direct competition for it. If Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Redding made a press with same capabilities you bet your ass Dillon would offer their same No BS warranty on it. I know far more commercial reloaders with 650s than 1050s.

hey, that iPhone of yours takes really good pictures, but you might want to turn off the GPS function...or use some picture sharing/storage website that strips that data from the pics once they get uploaded.

I take it you're really big into trap and/or skeet too, eh? I had never heard of a Bair shotgun reloader before.

and to answer everyone else's question..yeah, I do stalk much. :ph34r:

and like what was said already that is not a casting. it's been machined.

it also is not iron...or at least not straight or pure iron.

Edited by Chills1994

What the heck part is that?

Also don't kid yourself on the "commercial grade machine" marketing. There is no other press on the market that compares to the Super 1050 so Dillon doesn't have to use the No BS warranty as a value added service like with the other presses since there's no direct competition for it. If Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Redding made a press with same capabilities you bet your ass Dillon would offer their same No BS warranty on it. I know far more commercial reloaders with 650s than 1050s.

Well said. I don't mind when businesses make decisions like this, but I find it a bit insulting to be BS'ed with a reason other than "market conditions do not require it". It's sort of like when I write a check a the store - I don't mind showing my driver's license, but don't insult by telling me you're requiring it for my protection.

The good news is that even though parts are not free for a 1050, you can get them shipped very quickly and they always seem to be in stock.

Dillon - Nope, no Autodrive. It is the old RL1050 so nothing but pistol cartridges and 223. I only load for my own use too so there are certainly thousands of rounds loaded with it but not more than 100K. I process 223 brass without the powder die, powder check, or crimp die so I usually size, deprime and swage a 5 gallon bucket every 3 months or so and then tear down the press to clean and relubricate just because the Dillon case lube is everywhere so the press is well maintained. The break looks like a casting, around the exposed edges the metal density is good but on the inside it is not. I have done come casting as a kid but am certainly not a metallurgist so maybe it was an issue with the original bar stock. I am sure the swaging process is what caused the problem and just to make sure that my swaging rod is not so worn out that there is too much downward pressure being applied to swage the LC brass I have ordered a new one of those as well.

Chills - I always forget about the GPS info...thanks for the reminder! I would not say "big" into trap or skeet but I am big into reloading what ever I shoot and the Bair press is actually pretty nice.

Freakshow & Rob - I agree, there is nothing that compares to a 1050 for home use but calling the Dillon a commercial press is like calling an ultra-light an airplane, yeah they fly but not far and not fast. Having visited commercial reloader there are machines that are much more appropriate for the task but they take lots of space and lots of electricity. Loading for resale on a 1050 is a loosing proposition.

Off topic but that Bair press gave me flashbacks to being chained up to one reloading trap ammo as a kid....it was their progressive . Finally the old man popped for a Ponsness and things were a little better :D

Mark,

That grainy cast iron look is typical of a stress fracture on a steel part, especially when the failure develops slowly over time. I've got some papers on it at work if you are interested.

Did the same thing, only on one side, when I setup my machine the first time to process .223 brass. I had the trimmer die too far down into the shell plate and when you pull the handle and it overcams something had to give.

Expensive lesson. I keep the broken one on the bench where I can see it so I don't forget to make sure I set the machine up correctly and not get in a hurry.... :wacko:

DougC

Well, at least I take some comfort in hearing that I am not the only one who has had this happen.... Since all of the force applied to the press is in a downward motion I am a bit surprised that the ears on the shaft are not beefier.

Scott, a stress fracture over time makes sense, especially with the force needed to swage some of the crimps in 223 brass. Anticipating that my swaging rod may be too worn to effectively swage I ordered a new one of those too. I did have to adjust the swaging rod up a week ago as the swage was not deep enough and while it did create the need for more force on the handle it was only for an inch or so of travel per the manual.

I am going to compare my swaging rod against what shows up from Dillion and if there is not a clear material difference in the shape of the swaging end it may be time for a little lathe work to optimize the end of the rod because efficient swaging without breaking a toolhead shaft is critical.

Thanks!

Mine did the same thing about 6 months ago. My press was VERY old and I made that fact known to Dillon, as in it was bought when the no BS warranty was a selling point. You might want to see if they can look yours up by serial number and see if they will honor it, you never know unless you ask.

Mine is indeed very old, original nickel colored RL1050. Worth a try.... Thanks!

that one is definitely old enough to still be covered. You might need to call them, I chose to do that rather than just e-mail them. Hope it works out for you!

Freakshow & Rob - I agree, there is nothing that compares to a 1050 for home use but calling the Dillon a commercial press is like calling an ultra-light an airplane, yeah they fly but not far and not fast. Having visited commercial reloader there are machines that are much more appropriate for the task but they take lots of space and lots of electricity. Loading for resale on a 1050 is a loosing proposition.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this out the hard way. Not near enough machine. A S 1050 should be a home unit.

Edited by dhenry132

Called Dillon yesterday to discuss the possibility of them taking care of the main shaft under warranty (or just cause I have so much Dillon stuff). The gentleman said the 1050s never had the warranty, even the original Nickel plated RL like mine. He suggested I speak with a supervisor and while I said I was hesitant to escalate it I felt like he was recommending it. He transferred me and the call went to Eric's VM so I left a message. At this point I just want the parts ASAP so I can get the press up and running again. If it breaks again I am buying the press in the video above!