Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shotgun recoil

dauntedfuture

Well, I think we're talking about perceived recoil. so that will involve the physics of the gun, the way it is mounted, how it fits the shooter PLUS some psychic/subjective factors in the shooters head. I shot an 1187 for years, loaded down with all manner of shells and stuff. I now shoot a Benelli with comforttec stock and a 2 shot side saddle only. Much lighter, no doubt about that. very little if any extra perceived recoil. However, the Benelli cost more, looks better, and feels better, so some of it may be in my head.

For the past year I've been shooting a Benelli SBE2 (my dad's turkey gun), and the only way I could get it to cycle reliably was by using high brass 1 1/4 oz loads. I never once realized the recoil during a match. However, when I watched videos of me shooting, I realized that sometimes after shooting a large array of 5-8 targets from a stationary position I would fall back a step from the recoil. I never noticed it, but obviously the recoil was there.

Last week I got an M2 and shot it in a match last weekend. It feels like cheating. I've never shot shotgun over a timer, but my splits seemed night and day different. I still don't feel any recoil, but my body just knows it's ready to shoot sooner. Because I grew up shooting shotgun I hardly ever see the front sight, and I can't comment on watching the sight move, but I can get on target so much faster. That was running Remington Heavy Dove loads, so I'm curious what lighter target loads will do, but I'd much rather have 100% reliability over 0.01 faster splits.

I think part of felt recoil is how sudden the impulse is vs if it smoothed out over time. So, if you have an unpolished bolt with a rough spot or corner that catches, you will suddenly feel more recoil there. If everything is smooth there is more time for the force to evenly be dispersed and you have less felt recoil. Just a theory....

Recoil is a pre conceived state of mind, in a stage you will not even notice it, unless you are looking for reasons to fail !

With respect, you clearly didn't see me shooting my Steyr Scout bolt rifle in .308 at the Bay Area Rifle Championship 2010. With no muzzle device of any kind, no reciprocating mass to absorb and disperse energy and momentum, and the ultra light scout rifle design, the rifle kicked like a horse, took whole seconds to get back on target, left bruises on my shoulder that didn't fade for two weeks, and even shook my scope off zero by 8MOA after six out of seven stages.

Recoil is clearly a real physical event, not just in our heads. I do understand what you are saying about "perceived" recoil and that some part of the act of shooting is cognitive, but not all of it is in our heads, and it depends greatly upon the configuration of the weapon and ammo as well as the build and physique of the shooter.

Yes, my example is near one extreme end of a continuum of recoil (I could've been shooting a .50 bolt gun, I suppose), with a blowgun at the other extreme, but it illustrates the point that some part of the phenomenon called recoil is up to the shotgun and that not everyone can simply pull a "mind over matter" on it.

---

If you did get to see me shoot, it was pretty funny wasn't it? My .308 was so powerful that I kept blowing paper targets right off their stakes, knocking over clay/steel target stands build out of 4x4s, and even blew a 10" steel plate off the flasher stand at 200yds.

Edited by dchang0

perception, tolerance and your ability to absorb it effectively has a lot to do with recoil effect. I've been told by over and under shooters that my Benelli kicks harder than thier SG's?????

i've also been told I'll be sorry for shooting my 300WM in sniper matches, I'll be happier with a lighter recoiling 260 or such after 40 rounds at the end of the day, hasn't happened yet!!!

As Kurt said earlier, little Katy Harris runs a Benelli pretty fast and the only time I've heard her complain was after her Dad slipped a 4dram load of 6's in her mag tube, but then she really only got surprised by it not really complained.

Trapr

An easy way to prove that recoil is a real physical effect is to remove the shooter completely from the equation.

Mount our various shotguns in a rolling recoil sled like that designed by Patrick Kelley for the AR15 compensator comparisons, shown in this article: http://www.multigunmedia.com/ar15-comps-pt-2.pdf

See how many feet back each shotgun recoils the cart and how high and for how long the muzzle rises off target.

Removes all this subjective opinion and replaces it with measurable, repeatable, objective observations.

I used an 1100-TAC4 until a bunch of little metal pieces fell out of the bottom. (the interceptor latch sheared off and took some other things with it) I switched to an M2 and my shot-to-shot time improved over night.

I don't feel any real difference in the recoil. It's not like going from my .223 to my .338LM. It may be measureable, but I don't care. I can shoot the Benneli faster (and I can load it faster)

I kept hearing how much the Benelli's recoiled. How they pounded your shoulder. How if you get one, you HAVE to get a M2 with Comfortech stock or the recoil will punish you and slow down your times.

Well I picked up a M1S90, and I cannot tell it recoils much at all.

I shoot a Remington 1100 as my skeet and dove gun, and quite honestly, I cannot tell THAT much difference. I have shot the FN SLP, and I'll be damned if I can tell any difference that matters.... the recoil in the M1 seems fast and sharp, but the SLP feels slower and pushes me more than slaps me.

Regardless, shot to shot on steel poppers... when the buzzer goes off, they feel the same to me.

Edited by Kevin Holman

I actually got to shoot a M1 super 90, M2 and FN SLP back to back today and with the same loads I'd rank them in that order from most to least preceived recoil for me. BUT the M2's points a lot better than the FN and is a lot lighter as well. I'm a big guy so having a light nimble shotgun isn't as important as it would be if I were smaller, but I've got to say, the M2 really is a nice shotgun.

I actually got to shoot a M1 super 90, M2 and FN SLP back to back today and with the same loads I'd rank them in that order from most to least preceived recoil for me. BUT the M2's points a lot better than the FN and is a lot lighter as well. I'm a big guy so having a light nimble shotgun isn't as important as it would be if I were smaller, but I've got to say, the M2 really is a nice shotgun.

What you have to decide is whether recoil is the most important aspect to you. I would doubt that many members of this thread would tell you it was the most important aspect to them but if everyone were the same, one flavor of ice cream would be enough.

I can't tell the difference when shooting any shotgun. The ways i determine how a specific shottie recoils is by three observations. None are scientific, but they make sense to me.

1. How easy it is to get a follow up shots on target with slugs.

2. I watch others shoot different shotties and see how differently their shoulders move.

3. How sore i am the next day. lol.

The sled is great idea, but how often does the casual shooter have a chance to use one. I guess there is some written data out there somewhere. Gunblast or someone should do a side by side sled comparison.

Edited by gotigers

IMO felt recoil has a lot more to do with stock fit than the type of action or gas system. I'm lucky to know a couple of shotgun gunsmiths and they've helped me understand the problems. That's why I take it with a grain of salt when someone says one gun kicks more than another. If the stock dimensions aren't exactly the same, the comparison is not valid. The M2 comes with interchangeable wedges and three different recoil pads are available to let you tailor it to your body. I have a 28 ga. sxs that kicks me harder than my 12 ga Benelli because the stock fit is just a bit off, but that's going to be fixed. Yes, the Benelli weighs more but I've messed with the wedges and cut the stock for an even shorter l.o.p. so it fits me really well. Have a shotgun stock pro look at your eye from the business end of the barrel (unload first!!!), they can help you adjust length, drop and cast. Get the fit right and kick goes away. If I pick up a Remington I know I'm in for a beating, because U.S. stocks have too little drop at the nose of the comb and too much at the back, for me. The stock Remi fits most American men pretty well. I'm only 5'1" with no neck so I need something different.

Might as well throw my opinion in too...switched from an older 1100 to an M2 Field last year and was expecting to not like it as the only Benelli I had previously shot was a SBE which would loosen your fillings. The M2 is an absolute joy to shoot! So much lighter than the 1100, faster cycling, of course, and I can't tell any difference in the recoil. Reminiscent of switching from the M1A to the AR in highpower competition.

I have a Salient Benelli and FN SLP Mk1. I notice the recoil a little more in the Benelli when I pattern it or sight in slugs, but during a match, I don't notice it at all. I'm 6'4" 250 lbs.

What I do notice is that it is lighter, points/swings more naturally for me, loads easier (especially week hand), has a better trigger for those occassional 75+ yard slug targets, and I glow with joy everytime I shoot it! Oh yeah.....it costs a little more too.