Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Hog Heaven

And truly tactical paper would be two ply, absorbent and perfed into 4" squares for those "special ops" when the supply train of Charmin is interrupted by subversive elements. :D

The non-DSCC parts should be printed on water proof paper so the drooling over the pics doesn't harm the pages. A quadruple re-inforced spine would be handy too. My copy of Pat's 1911 book is showing some wear.

As much as I love books I really wish more of this stuff was published in an electronic format. My bookshelves are bursting at the seams already and to add several more books (need Pat's Shotgun book and now here comes an AR book)...egad.

I suppose there is that whole copyright thing though as electronic media is just too easy to copy.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comp comparison already on the list. The problem is in how to record the actual effects, and not just a vague "felt softer but rose more" sort of report. I may be workign with lasers, camera and after darkness on this one.

One thing you could measure is the split times between hits of an predetermined group size and distance.

For example, see how fast you can get two or three shots within two inches in the A-zone of an ISPC target at 100 yards and compare the comps based on split time averages.

Sounds like the list is longer than it is possible to address. I'll try to ad new, and not repeat what has been said already.

Just how do you address all these questions. So many of them are subjective to a fault. As a 200 pounder over 6 feet tall, what I feel about recoil and controlability is probably very different from what a 145 pound 5-3 shooter feels. This does not make one gun better than the other.

I would be interested in an actual repeatable measurement of comps with respect to rise, drop or sideways action. Does the comp give a dust signature?

Just how loud is the comp, not just behind the shooter but at the 45 degree spot, in other words, the guy on the line next to you at a High Power match.

Temperature, is there anyway you can shoot a frozen gun? We shoot often in near or below zero. how does the gun function?

Fit and finish is something to be considered. Most machinery that is well built looks good. Most shoddy work looks it.

Rested accuracy, ie., ultimate repeatable accuracy of 5 shots at 100 yards and if possible at 300 yards.

Is the book broken into segments? Stock, off the shelf guns, Semi-Custom guns, High-end guns, Custom guns?

What many want to know is, if I buy a model XYZ, will it work and is it acceptable for the sport that it will be used for? Do I need to buy a gun and immediately add $500 worth of goodies to make it run and shoot, or if I had spent $200 more on Brand Y, I'd have it all over Band X., even with the extra goodies they want to sell me?

Jim Norman

Patrick,

The only thing I could think of that might be useful to the prospective owner (that hasn't been mentioned already) is "How easy does the barrel clean? Does the copper come out of the barrel without a whole lot of work?" I know that this can be inconsistent due to ammo and cleaning schemes and might even mean nothing to accuracy, but it will say a thing or two about bbl smoothness, and will definitely be of interest to the lazier among us :rolleyes:

--

Regards,

It just so happens that I just received a Gradient Lens Hawkeye borescope on loan, complete with camera adapter. I'll be able to take photos of bores, showing rifling, throats, wear, etc. And since I'm now digital, I can experiment as much as I need to in order to get photos that show what we need to see.

Comp comparison already on the list. The problem is in how to record the actual effects, and not just a vague "felt softer but rose more" sort of report. I may be workign with lasers, camera and after darkness on this one.

Patrick, would it be possible (or feasible), to put the rifles in a rest that limit lateral movement, then have scales that weigh up/down vertical movement? To measure the amount of rise/dip of the muzzle?

• 2 weeks later...

How about a small chapter on cleaning equipment? There are some things like carbon scrapers and long gas tube pipe cleaners I'd like to know more about. And what about a good overview of the cleaning procedure?

• 4 months later...

I've pulled this from the vault of golden oldies to give you an update, and to make you jealous. I have the next couple of weeks devoted to various AR testing.

Overall, I've been favorably impressed with the quality that has arrived. Well, excpet for one rifle where the rear lug on the upper wasn't relieved for the lower. The assembler must have used a mallet to get it togehter. It took me and two other strong guys to get it apart, and I had to file the lug (it was visibly peened where it crushed to "fit") to put it back together. And a gas tube installed upside down, on a different gun.

Otherwise, the stuff looks great. No porous castings, a la Essential Arms from ten years ago, etc.

They have so far worked 100%, and nothing has been so far off that I couldn't get it zeroed with a few clicks.

Saturday the 16th is the test-fire crew free-for-all. I also plan to abuse selected rifles with a couple of cases of Wolf ammo, to see what they do. Or don't do.

And since they all arrived during the ban, I've got the wildest collection of ten-shot magazines you'd ever want to see. I might put them all in a box and test them for those who reside in the various People's Rebublics. The rifles get tested with my own, tested and known magazines.

Overall, I've been favorably impressed with the quality that has arrived. Well, excpet for one rifle where the rear lug on the upper wasn't relieved for the lower. The assembler must have used a mallet to get it togehter. It took me and two other strong guys to get it apart, and I had to file the lug (it was visibly peened where it crushed to "fit") to put it back together. .

Pat,

that wouldn't happen to be a rock river, I just put one together that had the same problem

No, someone else. I'm discussing it with the maker to see how it gets handled before I say anything.

On another topic, Wolf steel-cased ammo will definitely choke some guns, but others don't give a flyin flip. If you try it in yours, you'll know almost immediately. More as the sessions progress.

On another topic, Wolf steel-cased ammo will definitely choke some guns, but others don't give a flyin flip. If you try it in yours, you'll know almost immediately. More as the sessions progress.

What causes that? Is it the lacquer coating that they put on the rounds...which melts off...then gums things up?

• 4 weeks later...

False alarm. It turns out, the rifle that was malf-ing with Wolf was also doing it with everything else. I traced it to a loose barrel nut, torqued by the shooters wrestling with the vertical foregrip, on the tactical tube handguard. (Nice wrench, it makes.)

They were flexing the gas tube enough to bring it out of line with the carrier key, and once it had banged into the tube enough times, it quit. (Hell, I'd have quit sooner, if someone was hitting me that hard!)

What I've found, putting a couple of cases of Wolf, through six other rifles, is that these six don't care. They've all worked just fine with the stuff.

I've got to select one of them, and just put a case through it alone, and see if anything happens.

The stuff is weak, and not very accurate, but it works 100% so far.