Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gaming Gun & Equipment

oddjob

And they're definitely easier to manipulate during a tac-load when you have to hold two magazines in one hand, especially for those with small hands.

I disagree.

Since my hands are already at the gun, I always elect to do a reload with retention instead of the tac reload.

This was my first IDPA match so I don't feel all that bad where I finished. I didn't do bad at all. Can't quite figure out where I finished overall though. Did better than most, but not quite good enough for me. No big deal. Still think I'm gonna have a 9mm "gamey" gun built.

Not sure what gun you are having built, but you might want to think about a .40 instead. A properly setup .40 shoots softer than a 9mm. If you are thinking of a 1911 platform then I would certainly go with a .40 as it can be used for Lim 10 IPSC also.

I have heard there at 10 rd. .40/10mm that work and fit into the IDPA box. I hate repeating something I have just heard, but I have not gotten around to trying one in my Kimber.

I do not see why a 9mm barrel could not be made to work with a .40 breech face. That is next on my project list. That way one could use cheap 9mm bullets for practice and .40 for matches.

Can't quite figure out where I finished overall though.

According to the rules, there isn't supposed to be any "overall" in IDPA. Actually, it's that way in USPSA/IPSC too, but we all love to look at those "unofficial" combined results!

Joe, what are you saying and to who? Are you saying that you would rather shoot a 1911 in a 40?

I hear that the 1911 design doesn't do well in 40, any truth to that?

What mods do you make to keep it from slide locking on a loaded round in the mag?

Is there something in the LGB which explicitly deals with consistency in magazine capacity, and, if so, could you tell me where it is? Or, are we confident that switching between magazines of different capacity is illegal based on the FTDR, making a travesty of the principles of defensive pistol, etc., argument?

Many thanks,

2cats

The only problem I've had with the forty in a 1911 is getting the slide to not lock back early.

First I removed as much of the slide stop lug as I could while still having good contact with the follower. Carefull if you remove to much you just trashed a slide stop.

Second I put a small detent on the back of the slide stop for the plunger to drop in.

I change mag springs at least once a year and it works nice. You can download .40 to shoot softer than 9mm but it's hard to get a consistent load. My reduced load is about a 140PF.

If you don't think you can deal with this stuff just get a .45. You seem like your now willing to spend a little more money. If you go with the .45 try a Kimber Custom Target $700 that way you get adjustable sights. If you don't like adjustables just get a Kimber Custom $600. An STI would be nice but more costly. Springfields are usually a little cheaper than Kimbers but not much. I like the Kimbers better.

Jim

OddJob;

You shot one match and you are already fairly opinionated about IDPA? Sounds like you need to shoot more matches and maybe other clubs too before you pass judgement.

If you are already thinking about "gaming" you have got the wrong idea. Every shooter takes different things away from a match, whether it be tactics, or just plain fun. Whether IDPA is tactical or not, the idea is any training done that involves multiple targets, shooting on the move, and a bit of stress, will better prepare the average shooter for an armed confrontation as opposed to no training or just plain plinking.

The best gaming gun is the one you shoot best, and if your a good shooter you will win no matter what you use..

Good Luck

Jeremiah, my reply was to Oddjob. He indicated that he was thinking about having a 9mm built. Yes, I do prefer to shoot a .40 in a 1911 platform rather than a 9mm.

I load my .40 out to 1.200" OAL with a 180 gr bullet. It feeds flawlessly. I have never had a problem with a bullet locking back the slide in my Kimber .40.

I don't shoot a 1911 in competition any longer. I have found that I shoot a G35 much faster and more accurately.

I disagree.

Since my hands are already at the gun, I always elect to do a reload with retention instead of the tac reload.

So do I. Most of the time. If you had to learn only one technique of the two, it would definitely be the RWR. But the tac-load is still a useful skill to have in your bag of tricks.

I hear that the 1911 design doesn't do well in 40, any truth to that?

Awhile back, our host Brian Enos, based on his IMMENSE experience in the area, ranked the caliber/mag configurations that worked best in a 1911. The variables were .40 or .45, singlestack or doublestack, and the criterion was how easy it was to get a gun to run 100 percent. From most easily attained reliability to least, the list went:

.45 singlestack

.40 doublestack

.40 singlestack

.45 doublestack

In short, the .45 singlestacks are not that hard to make reliable. The .40 doublestacks can be a bit more challenging but still fairly easy. The .40 singlestacks can be problematic. And the .45 doublestacks are just not that great, reliability-wise. Not to say that any of these configuations can't be reliable, but if I were a betting man I'd go for a gun in one of the top two configurations, not the bottom two.

I saw the list of reliable calibers/magazine configuration list. Where does the 9mm single stack fall?? Any guesses?? I'm going to a 9mm/38 Super or Supercomp single stack because I already have it and I have a ton of mags for it. I fired a VV310 9mm load with a 147 and wow......soft (in a glock 34). I was thinking it would be perfect for IDPA/steel shooting.

I saw the list of reliable calibers/magazine configuration list. Where does the 9mm single stack fall?? Any guesses?? I'm going to a 9mm/38 Super or Supercomp single stack because I already have it and I have a ton of mags for it. I fired a VV310 9mm load with a 147 and wow......soft (in a glock 34). I was thinking it would be perfect for IDPA/steel shooting.

Since Metalform and Springfield developed a new magazine/follower combination for 9mm, I think you can be confident that you can get 9mm to run nicely in a 1911. My Springfield runs like a top with those magazines, but it's a bit tempermental with .38 Super McCormick magazines. I haven't tried any other 9mmP-specific magazines, but I will at some point in the future.

I think you're alway going to have the best reliability with .45ACP and .38 super (and derivatives), but the 9mmP is now a pretty safe bet, at least with a Springfield gun.

I can't say much about the Kimber 9mm guns. I've never fired one and since they cost about $100 to $200 more than a comparable Springfield, I went with the latter.

I shot with ODDJOB and it was my second IDPA match. I have to agree with him. I shake my head at all the pissers and moaners at a IPSC match but there were many more at this IPDA match. I was thinkin just shoot the damn thing like they say. It's not IPSC and your not supposed to game it.

Just my opinion though

SVI4Me, I am just curious, in what city did you shoot the IDPA match?

Up in Ione at the Folsom club

Don't get me wrong, I kinda like IDPA. Something different, but seemed to be as many or more whiners then an IPSC match. :huh: You know...... Can you do this... How about this.... And this..... Can I hold the wallet like this. Just as gamey or gamier the IPSC.

I believe the ultimate gamer gun is a glock for IDPA... no safety, triggers down under 2 pounds, some in the ounces, holds 11 rounds, big mag hole, ultra reliable.

in a 1911, i'd go 38 super or 40, 9mm don't make much recoil.... slow cycling slide, although some like them just well, i think the 40 works the gun better, and functions as well if not better loaded long

in IDPA gaming is more subtle, you just think it, you don't practice it before you do it.

SVI4ME..

I shoot at the same club..its really a good club..lots of good shooters, however, there are some very competitive shooters there..They do anything for a leg up...

When I first started shooting there, there were several shooters I refused to shoot with for that very reason,, after 3 years, I still try to avoid certain people.

I got to know many of the guys and now shoot with those I like, versus the "gamers". I have shot many other matches including the state championship, and the gamers are everwhere...

Come back again and find a group of guys you like and shoot with them..

Good Luck

Sac Lawman:

I am glad you jumped in after comments made by SVI4ME before I did. Frankly he infuriated me since I also shoot at Ione and have since its' inception and worked literally hundreds of hours helping promote one of the best IDPA Clubs in Northern California that I would say at least 95% of the people are damn happy to have a first rate Club like we do.......and Sac you know that! We are all volunteers, we are all trying to have a good time, we are all trying to promote good gun safe handling, learning to use your weapon efficiently and as a bonus have some fun in our competition. Do we have real real gamers? I really don't think so. If a guy asks a question about a stage and wants to figure out the best way to shoot it, it is called competing. Now cheating is a different story and I just don't see our shooters doing that. I tell you what SVI4ME, my name is Ron Durham, if you have problems, please come up to me and talk to me. The first thing I will ask you is what have you done for our Club? Have you taken a Safety Officer's course? Have you volunteered to set up any stages? Or are you such a bad shooter that you are pissed that other shooters are beating you? I am sorry if I am being rude but you have stepped on many many people's toes that have worked hard so you can have a place to go shoot. That is all I have to say.

Ron Durham

This thread has more than gone its course and is currently wandering far from the purpose of this forum. We are here to discuss shooting not to bash any shooting sport, shooters, or range personell. I am closing this thread. PM me if you have any questions or comments about this decision.

-ld