Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

g34 springs

RwP

If you use a reduced power striker spring, use Federal primers too, or else you might as well plan on having light-strikes... hankfan79 getting 1 every 3-400rds with WWB means he's WAY luckier than most guys, with a reduced power striker springs and WWB, from what I've experienced and seen at my club, 1 or 2 per mag is more like the norm. A lightened and extended striker can mitigate that though somewhat.

• 1 month later...

I run a 13# recoil spring but went back to standard striker spring. I was getting way to many light strikes with no real advantage. When you are not sure your gun is going to go "bang" I think it makes you hesitate and makes you less confident. The standard spring works well

I run a 13# recoil spring but went back to standard striker spring. I was getting way to many light strikes with no real advantage. When you are not sure your gun is going to go "bang" I think it makes you hesitate and makes you less confident. The standard spring works well

I settled on this as well. I like the benefits of the lighter recoil spring while maintaining 100% confidence. I had a few light strikes with a reduced power striker spring, CCI primers I believe which are known to be a bit harder than others. Might have worked with Federals, but once you used to the trigger pull, it really doesn't mater or warrant messing with it in my opinion of course.

You probably would need a lightened striker too. Jager and Glockworx make good ones.

+1 if you run a lightened spring, you should run a lightened striker, so you don't have to worry about light strikes. you may even have to shoot win and federal primers as some people still have issues with light strikes on remingtons and wolf.

• 2 months later...

If you use a reduced power striker spring, use Federal primers too, or else you might as well plan on having light-strikes... hankfan79 getting 1 every 3-400rds with WWB means he's WAY luckier than most guys, with a reduced power striker springs and WWB, from what I've experienced and seen at my club, 1 or 2 per mag is more like the norm. A lightened and extended striker can mitigate that though somewhat.

I have never had any light strikes through my 17 or 34 using WWB. I have stock strikers with lightened springs (Vanek Triggers) and 13lb recoil springs in both. They've also been flawless with Speer which has CCI primers. Is this luck? Maybe I'll upgrade the strikers before things change.

• 2 weeks later...

13 lb recoil spring runs perfect in mine. Don't mess with a light striker spring unless you run a lengthened and lightened striker. I put in the Jager that came with my Vanek GM Classic. I have not had a malfunction of any kind in 2 years running that setup.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking about an aftermarket recoil spring in my G34 as well. Just for me to understand the difference: what is the weight of the stock Glock recoil spring? And what guide rod are you using when you switch to an 11 or 13 pound spring?

The std spring is 17#. I'm using a Wolf guide rod (non captured). There's nothing magical about 13#'s, it's just what you like and what feels good for you & your gun. Get a couple different spring weights & give it a whirl. I liked the 13# spring, but I also noticed my groups at 25 yards weren't as tight as they where with a heavier spring so I run the 15# spring

• 3 months later...

I played with springs after I settled on my competition load. I changed around /experimented until I could "double tap' and have the rounds group together nicely at 7 yards... To much spring made my 2nd round low. Too little and my 2nd round was high.

In my 34 shooting 140ish pf loads, 13# ISMI or 15# Wolfe springs work great. In my 24 shooting 180ish pf loads, I like a 15# ISMI spring.

Last week I had to put a stock guide rod/spring in my 34 for my 1st IDPA match... 2nd shots all low... I need to get the Jager captured polymer rod so I can change springs for that game...

I am running the stock striker and spring in my 34, and a lightened striker with an extended tip/ lightened spring in my 24. PMC hard ass primer in 9mm, and Federals in my 40 loads.

Edited by HS101

I'm up up to about 65k combined through my G17 and G34, the vast majority of them with a lightened firing pin spring and stock firing pin. When are these inevitable problems supposed to start?

65,001. roflol.gif

• 4 weeks later...