Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best SBR 3 gun upper

steviesterno

Hey all,

so the 3 guns over here are mostly for fun, and no targets out past 200 yards. I'm getting an SBR lower, and I want a good, accurate upper for it that will still hit 6" steel at 200. that's it. Nothing too crazy. I know it's going to be loud and less easy to shoot than a competition rifle, but the giggle factor is pretty high.

what do you suggest for a decent quality upper that won't break the bank (under lets say $1300). I'm thinking 10.5 inches, but would totally rock a 7" if that wouldn't loose too much accuracy. I would love if i could also shoot 22lr out of it with a can (have one of those on the way, too!) with a spikes conversion kit.

let me know! pics help, too.

If you just have to have something like that, and don't want to build it for yourself, try pkfirearms. You might find something on this page that would work for you http://www.pkfirearms.com/Noveske_Barreled_Custom_Uppers/83/c

one of the big problems with short barrels is not lack of accuracy, but lack of velocity. Be aware of what limitations your rifle possesses and go have fun.

I would go with either the Noveske or a Larue Stealth upper.

Use one for the local matches around here quite a bit mainly for fun. Can usually hold my own with the rifle(MUCH better than I can with a pistol). I figure Im shooting for fun why not. I run a double star upper with a leupold prismatic 1x on the top. If I were real serious about it, I would use my other rifle but done the very serious thing in other sports and just shooting for fun now. If you want to try the SBR, give it a shot.

The 10.5 is what Im running in a LW barrel. It is much more versitle than a 7.5 inch. I am waiting on my stamp to come back for a 7.5 inch 223 as well as a 9mm(plan to put a can on the 9mm). For the shorty, make sure you run an Oring with the extractor. A Spikes tactical buffer(like an H2 weight wise but with powder in it)really smooths the gun out. Mine will run a carbine buffer but is much more violent

Edited by EkuJustice

The 11.5 I built will keep all the shots in the A zone @ 300 yds. Nothing fancy, a DPMS 1/9 HB, DPMS A3 upper, and a Burris Fast Fire dot in a LaRue mount. It's a lot of fun to shoot.

Craig

I suggest you go for a serious rig (an actual three gun rifle) or full on shits and giggles; nothing in-between since you'll be disappointed with both uses.

With that being said, I will eventually shoot this in a fun match with the goal of being completely serious and not smiling the entire time:

d5e766fc.jpg

Go big or stay home! :roflol:

Edited by DyNo!

watching me at a match pretty much is full on shits and giggles ;)

I already have a decent AR with scope and goodies, which seems to be enough for the events around here. I was thinking a "fun gun" for 3 gun would be the best. I already play seriously with USPSA SS/L10 and steel challenge, so messing around with 3 gun is enough for me! I just want to make noise and still make hits.

Hey all,

so the 3 guns over here are mostly for fun, and no targets out past 200 yards. I'm getting an SBR lower, and I want a good, accurate upper for it that will still hit 6" steel at 200. that's it. Nothing too crazy. I know it's going to be loud and less easy to shoot than a competition rifle, but the giggle factor is pretty high.

what do you suggest for a decent quality upper that won't break the bank (under lets say $1300). I'm thinking 10.5 inches, but would totally rock a 7" if that wouldn't loose too much accuracy. I would love if i could also shoot 22lr out of it with a can (have one of those on the way, too!) with a spikes conversion kit.

let me know! pics help, too.

I have a 10.5" LMT that runs like a top. It is accurate out to 200 yds. I doubt it would be a good choice beyond that, but 200 should not be a problem.

SBR.jpg

SBRwithG5.jpg

Edited by maddox

Build your own! I built mine with a VLTOR MUR-1 upper, LWRC 10.5 barrel, DPMS BCG, YH gas block and a Levang linear comp (the Micelek comp was to brutal!).

This gun holds a better group thatn I do at 200 yards! I average around a 2.5 inch group at 200 yards off a bench. Shot it in a fun match last year and can't wait to do it again this year! I have a Burris Short Mag scope (2 to 7) that is a good match for this gun.

I won my upper at a match, but:

Upper A2 $120 (DPMS)(local dealer)

Barrel $190 (found on AR15.com)

BCG $110 (DPMS)(local dealer)

FF Tube $ 40 (E-bay)

Small parts $100 (Misc)(Brownell's)

Total around $520-$560.

Fun factor: Priceless!

Doug

P.S. Install a good trigger, it helps accuracy alot with a SBR. I have a JP adjustable that works awesome.

Edited by Doug S

I suggest you go for a serious rig (an actual three gun rifle) or full on shits and giggles; nothing in-between since you'll be disappointed with both uses.

With that being said, I will eventually shoot this in a fun match with the goal of being completely serious and not smiling the entire time:

d5e766fc.jpg

Yeah, but do it with matching cutoff shorts and your tshirt tied into a knot in front.

d5e766fc.jpg

Yeah, but do it with matching cutoff shorts and your tshirt tied into a knot in front.

I don't know about that but I've got a few months to think something up before a Halloween match. :lol: