Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cant reach mag release

G34 CORDY

Just got my first 2011 a STI Edge .40 but my only problem so far is not being able to reach the mag release button without rotating my hand around to push it. Is there any good mag releases that you guys know of that can cure this meaning not having to move my hand around the gun.

Edited by G34 CORDY

Is the mag catch already drilled and tapped? If so, start shopping for a button.

Please keep in mind that a button adds to the width of that particular part and I've seen about a bajillion table starts blown because the shooter pushed down on the gun and ejected the mag on the pickup. If not caught, this results in the the BANG, click, !&*$*$%# :roflol:

Some folks also bump the button just shooting and get the same result. I guess I'm saying it may take some getting used to so if you want one, get one and dry fire a lot.

Personally, I use the Cylinder & Slide button.

I have the factory STI mag release on my gun and its not drilled or tapped. Can I buy one that is already done? And Iam also worried about hitting the button when I dont want to but on the other hand I cant reach it to release the mag without changing my grip so its a double edged sword. But do you guys think I should get it?

I used the SC button for years on my Limited guns. With a ICE magwell it never was a issue with table starts as the ICE pushed the gun away enough not to contact the table. If your dropping mags from the table your grabbing the gun wrong off the table. Don't grab it use 2 hands. Use the weak hand to grab the top of the gun and rotate into your strong hand.

Use your left thumb. My son started doing it when he first started shooting because he was only 9, and he still does, and it's just as fast. He finished 17th overall at the 2010 Open Nationals, so it does work.

Dawson Precision just started to manufacture mag releases in standard, drilled and tapped and long. They also have buttons in several different configurations. One of the buttons is very large (3/4") and can be cut/ ground to almost any shape you want.They also sell the Mitchell right side release.

Sounds like you have a stock mag catch. Check around because there are options for extending so that you minimise your grip shifting.

There are extended catches that are a little longer but don't have a button.

There are buttons in various shapes and profiles but these require a D&T mag catch.

Maybe check with other folks who have one or the other and ask to check out their guns.

Whatever you decide, if you change something like this, do a lot of dry fire to get used to the change.

Drilled and tapped STI mag release (drop in part.) Arredondo mag release button---Adjustable, Low Profile with Aggressive Checkering. Surprisingly efficient--$18.95. Extends the button to the rear, but does not extend up enough to cause your support hand to release mag. Comes in colors also.:D

On my STI Open Gun I use an extended mag release button. I also can't reach it with my right hand thumb. What I do is use my left thumb pad (fleshly part below the thumb) to depress the extended mag release. Your moving you left hand anyway to change the mag. Works for me and you don't rotate the gun. Takes a little practice.

On my STI Open Gun I use an extended mag release button. I also can't reach it with my right hand thumb. What I do is use my left thumb pad (fleshly part below the thumb) to depress the extended mag release. Your moving you left hand anyway to change the mag. Works for me and you don't rotate the gun. Takes a little practice.

And it's a lot slower than shifting the gun in your strong hand to hit the release with your strong thumb.

The STI button that Blue Edge linked is also very tall as well as having the paddle. I grind the paddle part off for my single stack with Burner grips and it makes it tall enough to facilitate dropping the mag. I do use the extra power mag button spring in all my guns.