Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of trying IDPA and/r USPSA

BBBB

I am an experienced shooter but have never shot in either IDPA or USPSA matches. I have the opportunity to do either one at the club level a reasonable distance from where I live (within a 1 hour drive). At this point I am mainly interested in shooting my carry gun in one (or both) of these types of formats to get that experience with the gun and also to experience the sports themselves to see if it is something I might want to get involved in. To the extent that makes sense I'd like to be able to use the equipment I already own. Having said that, I'm not opposed to spending a couple of bucks on a piece or two of equipment (a new holster for example) if I need to.

I have read through the IDPA rules and am thinking I could shoot the match with my regular carry gun (a glock G36), the IWB holster I normally carry it in, and 3 factory 6 round magazines. I assume my shirt would suffice as a cover garment with this style of holster and I could carry the extra magazines in my pocket if I chose to. Am I missing anything? I assume this would put me in SSP Division, correct?

I have also skimmed the USPSA rules and am thinking this same gun would put me in Production Division and that I may need to invest in an OWB holster and a single or double mag pouch. Is that correct? Also is 3 six rounds mags going to be enough or would I be better off to have more?

I've only shot IDPA, and was able to do it with my normal carry gear. Your gun is SSP division. Your shirt should work fine as a cover garment, but it would probably be safer to tuck it in under the gun and wear a vest or button-shirt with the buttons open so you can sweep it back to reach your gun instead of pulling up. Seems like there's more opportunity for something to catch or snag and cause a safety problem if you have to pull up instead of sweeping back. Practice at home, and whatever you do, take your time and do it safely and carefully in the match.

You may want a couple more magazines since yours have a capacity of under 10. The rules say no string of fire can exceed 18 rounds, and if you start with 6+1, that would give you 19 total. That's fine if you don't miss, but there are some targets that you may miss and the scoring allows you to keep shooting, so having another magazine could help you there. We had one saturday with a 'texas star' (2 steel plates on a swinging gizmo). Very few of the shooters I saw got the 2 plates in only 2 shots, and several took 6-8 total shots.

I shot my first idpa match last month and i used my carry gun (m&p compact 40), and IWB holster and just carried my mags in my pocket. Yes, it slowed down my reloads, but i was going pretty slow anyway trying to be safe and learn and not win or anything. I ended up investing $17 in a double-mag pouch for the 2nd match. I may eventually get a different holster, but for now, i was able to draw safely and reasonably quickly from my iwb holster. If you don't have a fairly stiff holster that will stay open for easy reholstering, you might consider one, or an inexpensive kydex owb holster just so you'll have 1 less thing to worry about and 1 less thing to possibly go wrong. It's easy to make an RO nervous by fumbling around in your pants with 2 hands.

Edited by motosapiens

Wouldn't do him any good to have extra magazines (I think). Can only carry 2 on the belt-with 6+1 in the pistol in IDPA (SSP). If wrong, I stand to be corrected. In Production he would be able to use as many magazines as he wanted to-in USPSA some of the stages have 32-rds so you would need a "lot more" magazines

Edited by The_Vigilante

Wouldn't do him any good to have extra magazines (I think). Can only carry 2 on the belt-with 6+1 in the pistol in IDPA (SSP). If wrong, I stand to be corrected. In Production he would be able to use as many magazines as he wanted to-in USPSA some of the stages have 32-rds so you would need a "lot more" magazines

True, you can only carry 2 on the belt. Can you carry a 3rd in your pocket? Maybe i'm looking in the wrong section of the rules, but I don't see anything that prohibits you from carrying more magazines somewhere besides on your belt. I searched the rulebook for the word 'magazine', and read every sentence pretty carefully. All it appears to say is you can't carry more than 2 on the belt.

Edited by motosapiens

Yes you can "CARRY" it in your pocket but cannot use it during a stage. Only 3 magazines allowed.

You will find out quickly that a G36, while in SSP, will be a HUGE disadvantage.

Shoot both USPSA and IDPA. I do. I use all my SSP legal gear in USPSA production class...Minus the additional mags of course ;)

This is just my 2 cents of course, and I mean no offense to either group by it, but I think you may want to try IDPA first. That is to say, at the local level plenty of folks are using their carry (shorter barrel) guns in IDPA, but not as much in USPSA. BOTH sets of folks should/will make you feel welcome, but your G36 will not be out of place at all at a local IDPA match, but most (not all) USPSA guns are a bit more "sporty". And by sporty, I mean just larger. Lots of folks shooting Glock 17's, glock 21, Glock 22's, etc in USPSA - you don't need a $4000 1911 - but just not as many short barreled guns.

For IDPA, you will need a magazine holder of some type on your belt and just a dress shirt that's not buttoned up could be your first cover garment. That's it.

Hope that helps you.

3. In lieu of the use of ammunition carriers, spare magazines

(2), speedloaders (3) and moon clips(3) used in a CoF may be

carried in the contestant’s pockets and used for any IDPA legal

reload.

4. The shooter may carry no more than two spare magazines on

the belt.

For your first match, honestly, I'd just pick up another mag, and shoot IDPA. For your first shoot, and using your carry gun, it would be remarkable if anyone gave you any flack. (You will be facing a large disadvantage, competitively, but so long as you are prepared for that, you should be fine.)

I also suggest that you try IDPA first. The gear that you have would work, and the lower capacity would not be that much of a deal. I would suggest that you have a double magazine pouch and a outside waistband holster, but other than that I would say that you are good to go.

I compete in both IDPA and USPSA, although I compete with a revolver primarily. I would suggest that you use a larger Glock that has a magazine capacity of at least 10 in USPSA. You could use the one that you mentioned, but you would need at least 6 magazines total in order to have enough ammunition in magazines to complete a 32 round course.

Get our and try your hand at IDPA and USPSA. It will be challenging and enjoyable.

Edited by Blueridge

I also suggest that you try IDPA first.

Noting that I have absolutely no intention of delving into IDPA vs USPSA, and that I have nothing but respect and admiration for IDPA shooters, I take issue with the notion that new shooters should necessarily shoot IDPA. My own personal experience tells me that there are different strokes for different folks. I'll stifle the urge to write more.

I recommend trying both and shooting with the group that has the friendliest shooters in your area.

BB

I also suggest that you try IDPA first.

Noting that I have absolutely no intention of delving into IDPA vs USPSA, and that I have nothing but respect and admiration for IDPA shooters, I take issue with the notion that new shooters should necessarily shoot IDPA. My own personal experience tells me that there are different strokes for different folks. I'll stifle the urge to write more.

I recommend trying both and shooting with the group that has the friendliest shooters in your area.

BB

That may be true in principle but a guy with a G36 and 3 6 round mags will have a pretty tough go at it in USPSA, don't you think.

To some other points.....There is nothing wrong with using an un-tucked T-shirt as a concealment garment. I have not noticed it to be anymore inherently dangerous than some other types. Since that is all the gear you have at teh moment I would recommend IDPA since you can go play with what you have and then work from there if you decide to (you know you will, it is like crack :D)

As a new shooter...DO NOT use a IWB.

Get a cheap outside the waistband holster. IWB's are too risky for new shooters and could cause a DQ easier.

I agree with everyone else. Start with IDPA and progress in USPSA. IDPA is more "basic" and USPSA is more competitive.

I have shot IDPA for years and just recently got into USPSA and the competition level is HUGE.

So the short answer seems to be that yes I can do it but I will be at a competitive disadvantage. That's fine. If I decide I like it and want to be more competitive I can always address that later. One follow up question: If I go with the 19 rounds (3 6 round mags and 1 in the chamber) and I miss enough times that I run out of ammo on a particular stage what happens? Do I just stop and get penalized for the targets that I did not hit?

Do I just stop and get penalized for the targets that I did not hit?

That is correct. Some clubs run a lot of 18 round stages others don't, just go try it out and see if it's something you want to get more involved in.

I don't want to discourage you, but I wouldn't show up with a subcompact, 6 round capacity gun to shoot any match, especially not USPSA. In IDPA it wouldn't present a serious problem, but it's definitely less than ideal.

I'd pick up a cheap 9mm of some kind and 4-5 magazines and go from there. .45 is expensive to shoot anyway and if nothing else, you'd have an excellent gun to practice with that was very similar to the gun you carry.

Pick up a G17 or G34. If you want some cheaper gear, you can use an Uncle Mike's paddle holster ($20) and get some inexpensive pouches from tacticalkydex@bellsouth.net. Summit Gun Broker often has cheap, used trade-in Glocks.

As a new shooter, I don't want you to get the idea that you need a particular type of equipment to do well in this game. You definitely do not. But it will be a huge confidence boost if you have a piece of equipment in your hand that is, at bare minimum, competitive.

I shot my first USPSA match in Production with an 8 shot .45 and 3 magazines. In hindsight, it didn't much matter as it was just a learning experience more generally. But if I could do it all over again, I'd have showed up with a 9mm.

Just keep in mind:

1. No particular equipment is necessary to play this game. A gun, ammo, mags, a holster that covers the trigger, etc., are needed. Not much else is absolutely necessary.

2. Be safe. Familiarize yourself with the safety rules before you show up.

3. Have fun. You may zero some stages or be at the bottom of the match results. It won't take long before you move up. Remember, we were all new once.

I love seeing new people show up to matches. I think we should expand the sport as much as possible.

Remember, IDPA is a game! You get penalized time for misses and down points and etc. Take your time and be sure of hits. Try to put a little more realism in the way you go about the match and use it for practice with your CCW gun.

JMHO

Richard

PS: Or buy something else that will give you more rounds!

PPS: Save your carry gun for their BUG match.

Edited by chirpy

All good input. I see the logic of shooting something that is cheaper to load for, easier to shoot and has more capacity. I think I will give it a try once with what I have. If I decide to do it on a regular basis I will follow the advice toset myself up with something more suitable.

So the short answer seems to be that yes I can do it but I will be at a competitive disadvantage. That's fine. If I decide I like it and want to be more competitive I can always address that later. One follow up question: If I go with the 19 rounds (3 6 round mags and 1 in the chamber) and I miss enough times that I run out of ammo on a particular stage what happens? Do I just stop and get penalized for the targets that I did not hit?

As I posted above, I compete with a revolver in IDPA and USPSA. Revolvers are allowed to have 3 speedloaders/moonclips on their belt, which allows 24 rounds total at the start of a stage (6 in the revolver and 18 on the belt). I rarely use more than 18 rounds on a stage in IDPA (even ones that require 18), unless there are moving steel targets (such as a texas star). I focus on accuracy primarily, but I do manage to come in higher than my fare share of auto shooters when I look at the unofficial overall results fom the matches that I participate in.

Don't think that you cannot do well with the 19 round capacity that you have at your disposal currently. You are just trying out the sports, so the idea is to see if you like the style of competition. I suggest that you focus on making your shots count, and not on worrying about possibly having to shoot makeup shots. From a competition standpoint I would focus on engaging all of the targets in the stage, and not getting hung up engaging a particular one (I hope that makes sense). Take your shots on a target and move on to the next target. The only time that you will be drawn to fire makeup shots is on steel that you miss and close targets that you can easily see your hits.

Edited by Blueridge

I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE here would tell you to go take that Glock 26 out and shoot it at ANY match rather than not shoot at all!

In other words, this site is chock full of competitive folks who want to always win and be competitive, so some of the advice will come from that perspective. You're probably not going to WIN much with a Glock 26 in either IDPA or USPSA. But you WILL have a safe & fun time. So please do come out and give it a go. On the other-other hand, my instructor can out-shoot me shooting anything with his Glock 26 ALL DAY LONG... :cheers:

(Also, if you want to try something in a larger pistol later, once folks know you a bit, many of them will let you borrow their "backup" gun for a match...)

Stay safe, have fun!

Do you know any local shooters? Do you happen to live near Myrtle Beach, SC? Most have some kind of full-size Glock which you could borrow - although I still encourage you to shoot w. your carry gun, at least once. (I shot a match w. an 2.5" barreled, airweight 44 magnum, w. full-power loads - it was awful, but, by the end, I knew that the screws would stay on, if they had purple loctite, and wouldn't if they didn't (I forgot to use loctite on the screws holding the rear sight.)

Edited by Aglifter

I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE here would tell you to go take that Glock 26 out and shoot it at ANY match rather than not shoot at all!

Yes, this is the key point. If your choice is shooting what you have or not shooting at all, then by all means, shoot what you have. Not only will you have fun, but you'll gather knowledge and experience that will help you decide if you want to keep doing it, and if so, what equipment would work best for your needs and goals. Show up early, help set up, ask some questions, watch other shooters, take your time and hit your shots, and have a good time.