Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brazos BCG Pro SX

I am new to this sport and currently shoot in the Limited-10. I love it so much that I may go into either the Limited or Open for next year. I have been looking at the Brazos line for my choices - the BCG Pro Series Limited or the BCG Pro SX. The Pro sx has a one year back log so I have to make my choice very soon if I choose Brazos. I'm looking for anyone who has experience with Brazos and what they think of his product. I also have been looking at the Spitfire at Chuck Bradley's site shootersconnection.com so if anyone can help provide any information that would be fantastic. Thank you. Happy shooting :rolleyes:

Just my .02 cents, but give Chuck at Shooters connection a serious look. Dan Bedell is beginning to get a name making Commander length Open guns. His price is about $1500 less than Brazos plus, you won't have to wait a year, maybe a month or two at most. I've shot a ProSx and a Bedell gun and they shoot exactly the same. Take that for what it's worth.

Honestly, if you're a brand-new Open shooter (and not otherwise some sort of M or GM), I'd go with a standard 5" gun instead of a shorty. It will be easier to call your shots with, easier to load for and probably won't be as finicky right off the bat. Don't worry about it holding you back for a long, long time (witness Max & Travis, to name two). I love my short open blasters, but I'd hand a 5" to anybody just starting. Also, I'd get it in Supercomp or TJ. One less thing to worry about.

Newbie,

If you are near SE Mich you are more than welcome to try my 5" Open. I understand the shorties are much more on the "violent" side, and should be left to the M and GM folks.

Cameron

Without knowing you personally, I'll just say this -

On average, new shooters who invest a bunch of money in state-of-the-art Open guns tend to get hooked, not discouraged, and stay with the sport longer than those who invest a lot in Limited guns.

Open guns show more people their mistakes and teaches them more quickly.

Just what I've seen over the years. Your mileage may vary.

PS - Bedell guns work well and look really cool. So do Brazos guns. So do 5" guns.

Honestly, if you're a brand-new Open shooter (and not otherwise some sort of M or GM), I'd go with a standard 5" gun instead of a shorty. It will be easier to call your shots with, easier to load for and probably won't be as finicky right off the bat. Don't worry about it holding you back for a long, long time (witness Max & Travis, to name two). I love my short open blasters, but I'd hand a 5" to anybody just starting. Also, I'd get it in Supercomp or TJ. One less thing to worry about.

Newbie,

Shred speaks the truth. Standard 5" gun in 38 supercomp is perfect.

As for the Brazo's guns, they look awesome. If the budget will allow it, DO IT!!!!!

I think Bob's guns look truly great and the one that I got to try was a work of art but I have to ask: How can you stand to wait for a year for something that I'd have to have *NOW*?

I could probably wait weeks if I had a daily progress report but in a year I'd be in an asylum and no longer qualified to take delivery :(

Maybe if I get enough other guns first then I could shoot those and try to forget I'd ordered a new one ... :huh:

Kevin

kdj,

Here's the trick, order a custom gun every 3 to 4 months. That way, while you are waiting for your Tubb 2000, your Triangle Shooting Sports shotgun shows up to play with, while you are waiting on your JP-15, you can break in your Delta-Elite converted to .40 S&W. You can shoot your Brazos while you are waiting on your Rem 700 PSS to be rebarreled and blue printed. Might want to order a few scopes that are on back order to space things out as well, or send a gun out to be refinished. Eventually you will need to branch out into ordering MGM targets and/or Steel Challenge targets. ;)

:D Well, just plopped down $1k for my downpayment on the Brazos Pro Sx. I won't be taking delivery until May of next year :( so until then.......

Here's a thought-

Pick up a used open gun in the mean time and shoot it.

Kevin, it's NOT going to be easy BUT since I have only been shooting for 5 months and just did my first local USPSA match last Sunday I figured it will give me plenty of time to learn learn learn learn! Mean time I will continue to shoot Limited-10 with my TGO and work to move from 6th to first place! :D and maybe attend some state matches for some experience. Know what I mean???

Dave

I like the used Open gun idea myself!! Then you have a back up! Do not think I could have waited a year either.

You could be GM in L10 by the time the gun is complete!!!!

Have a schedule for west Mich. Looks like 3rd Saturday every month. The club is half way for both of us. Warning though, if you shoot the Open gun, you will probably lose the will power you need for the next 13 months.

I will send you a note later.

Cameron

Dave

I have also been looking for open guns, and they say they have a Pro-sx in stock here. The price is higher than Brazos' webpage, but to get it shipped tomorrow maybe it is worth it!