Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm solo 1000 147 lead

dauntedfuture

So I have been looking to up my game a little and wanted to refine my loads for a 5" M&P 9mm and an sti 2011 .40. After some research i looked into solo 1000, tg and N320. I ordered some 147 lead 9mm a while ago and patched together a load with 3.2 1000, federal primers and lead 147g bullets. I shot a match with the 3.2 1000 and 147g bullets. Recoil was soo good that it did not feel like i was shooting loads that would make 125pf. accuracy was great and like i said recoil was too good to believe. No issues with function. At the time i had no crono results; now i do.

5" M&P 9mm federal small pistol and mixed brass

solo 1000

el paso tx, 4000ft 80 deg 4/3/2011

3.2g 877 fps

3.4g 920

3.5g 925

3.6g 947

I'm sold on the Solo 1000 in the 9 and i think this will be my go to load from now on. Not sure how it shoots in my g17 but i want a load that will make pf in both guns. Still cooking up loads for the STI in .40 but i think im almost there.

Good info, I have a brand new keg of Solo 1000 and I was wondering how it performed in 9mm with lead/moly 147's for use in Production. The 3.4 grain load at 135 pf looks perfect. Now I just gotta figure out which 9mm to buy for Production....

Only downside to Solo 1000 is the batch to batch variation. Some people seem to have faster lots than others. I don't mind reviewing my loads every 8lbs (~16000 rounds) though.

I anticipate 3.4gr to be my go-to charge for 147s too. Right now I have 3.8gr behind a 130gr black bullet @ 1.15" for 132PF.

I had to change my load .2 grains from my original batch. My first load was only 3/4 lb to try it. I now have 8 lbs and don't have a problem if I have to change it again since this should last me a year.

I would like to try solo as well to save some loot over paying for n320, but I don't want to have to chrono every time I go to the range. Is the lot variation really that bad?

Get a 8 pound jug, load your rounds and be good to go until it runs out.

And make sure you chrono in the hottest temp you shoot in, before the match. :wacko: I had to rechrono at IDPA nationals last year because it was hot out, mid to upper 90's. (maybe the ammo sat in the sun, but they were under a shade when I went back, maybe it was a slow barrel, I dont know)

The weekend before the same ammo went 138pf in 50 degree weather in my barrel.

Edited by DWFAN

Don't worry about the lot-to-lot variation. How many folks only chrono once a year anyway? Esp the ones who go to major matches fairly regularly.

Same advice...If you are buying lb to lb then you'll have to check. If you can, buy a 4lb or 8lb and shoot it till its empty. I actually shoot the same combo as the OP. 3.2gr of Solo 1000 under a 147 BBI. This shoots 132pf in my M&P Pro. with a 13lb spring it feels like a 22. The biggest issue I have is going from this to my open gun. Feels like I'm shooting a S&W 500.

Don't worry about the lot-to-lot variation. How many folks only chrono once a year anyway? Esp the ones who go to major matches fairly regularly.

Same advice...If you are buying lb to lb then you'll have to check. If you can, buy a 4lb or 8lb and shoot it till its empty. I actually shoot the same combo as the OP. 3.2gr of Solo 1000 under a 147 BBI. This shoots 132pf in my M&P Pro. with a 13lb spring it feels like a 22. The biggest issue I have is going from this to my open gun. Feels like I'm shooting a S&W 500.

Did your gun run reliably with the stock spring?

My typical 147 gr 9mm load with S1000 is 3.4 to 3.6 gr for lead/moly/plated.

3.6 to 3.7 for Hornady jacketed 147.

3.8 gr for Montana Gold 147.

Targeted PF in the range of 132 to 136. I'm on my 5th 8# jug of Solo, with a 6th in reserve. I have seen variance of zero to +.2 between lots. I test when I start a new lot, but I don't think it is worth worrying about.

I have seen variance of zero to +.2 between lots. I test when I start a new lot, but I don't think it is worth worrying about.

I tested the lot I'm using and a new 8lb jug (diff lot #) back to back. Same powder measure setting threw the same weight charge with both but the newer jug chronoed 5% slower. They were loaded back to back, same session, and chronoed same session, back to back.

I have seen variance of zero to +.2 between lots. I test when I start a new lot, but I don't think it is worth worrying about.

I tested the lot I'm using and a new 8lb jug (diff lot #) back to back. Same powder measure setting threw the same weight charge with both but the newer jug chronoed 5% slower. They were loaded back to back, same session, and chronoed same session, back to back.

A 5% difference is substantial, more than I've seen as yet in any comparison. Using a 920 fps baseline for PF 135, 5% slower would give 874 fps and average PF 128, and be more than I've seen. I would want to know about that big a difference.

I don't have my books here, but I do wonder if I could figure my highest and lowest yields for a given charge (assuming info included same bullet)if they would approach a 5% difference.

147lead and Solo are a great combination but Solo is very heat sensitive and slows down when it get's hot.

With Summer coming recheck with Chronograph before a major match and don't let them lay your ammo in the sun before testing. Ten min in the sun can rapidly drop velocity.

A 5% difference is substantial, more than I've seen as yet in any comparison. Using a 920 fps baseline for PF 135, 5% slower would give 874 fps and average PF 128, and be more than I've seen. I would want to know about that big a difference.

I don't have my books here, but I do wonder if I could figure my highest and lowest yields for a given charge (assuming info included same bullet)if they would approach a 5% difference.

Big difference kinda. My test loads were 3.9 gr. Bumping that to 4.1 should make up the velocity loss. I'll find out when I finish the current jug.

147lead and Solo are a great combination but Solo is very heat sensitive and slows down when it get's hot.

I tried documenting that.

I took the same ammo batch, put some in my freezer over nite and took them to the range in a cooler and left the other sitting on my dashboard in the sun. The cold ones were faster but only by 1%.

Not a huge sample, I shot 15 of each.

How well does Solo meter? Thats what I am most curious about.

When I first started using it I would measure 3 consecutive throws every 25 rounds and it was always spot on. Nowadays I only weight charges every 100 rounds. This is on a 550B.

Edited to add:

I don't use 147gr lead bullets but, FWIW, 3.6gr of Solo 1000 behind a 147gr Precision Delta bullet produces 131PF out of my G34 (1.135" OAL & 0.378" Crimp).

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112578

Edited by Cy Soto

How well does Solo meter? Thats what I am most curious about.

If you don't tap the side of the case several times it may not meter as well. If you settle it really good with tapping it meters perfectly.

• 9 months later...

147 lead and Solo are a great combination, but Solo is very heat sensitive and slows down when it gets hot.

that sounds counterintuitive

Sounds that way, but WST, WSF and Silhouette are all the same along with Solo 1000 and probably some others.