Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird Broken Firing Pin G35

Flashooter

Has anyone seen a firing pin break like this!? Kinda weird*#$%!? :surprise:

It's a G35 with a trigger Charlie Vanek installed about 5 years ago. It's got about 5k rounds through it. I replaced it with a stock firing pin and did not notice any change in the smooth, light trigger pull; still works great!

The old strikers were made out of tool steel and held up much better. They are now using MIM parts for their extractors and strikers.

FYI Tip: If you have any older Glocks keep the strikers and replace them with the newer ones.

he said it was about five years old.. when did they start using mim parts on the striker? my glocks range from 10-1 years old and all the strikers look the same?? not saying your wrong or anything im just curious.

Edited by razerok1

I'm no expert, but I agree that the broken striker doesn't look stock.

The actual tip looks longer than the factory part, and maybe it's the photo, but it looks to me like a titanium nitride coated part.

Well that is the thinnest part of the firing pin, and it might have been stressed to the point of breaking. That looks like an awfully clean break, at least in the pictures...

Did you notice any problems before? Do you know how it happened? I'm thinking that the face was sitting on the cruciform just a little bit sideways and torqued it instead of going straight down and forward, but is that even possible?

Have never seen that before. Wonder if Charlie would send a replacement. Might not hurt to ask.

Thanks for sharing.

Soundwave, thanx for the tip. Charlie graciously offered a replacement but I already had one, so it was no problem. Charlie is a super guy and I still like his products!

Well that is the thinnest part of the firing pin, and it might have been stressed to the point of breaking. That looks like an awfully clean break, at least in the pictures...

Did you notice any problems before? Do you know how it happened? I'm thinking that the face was sitting on the cruciform just a little bit sideways and torqued it instead of going straight down and forward, but is that even possible?

Pro-Pain, yes, it's a very clean break. I don't know what kind of firing pin it is and it never gave any symptoms prior to the break. I have no idea what caused the break. :wacko:

Pro-Pain, yes, it's a very clean break. I don't know what kind of firing pin it is and it never gave any symptoms prior to the break. I have no idea what caused the break. :wacko:

I had two Glockworx lightened strikers break like this; not sure what caused the failure. I did a LOT of dry firing but I didn't think dry firing could cause a striker to fail.

Mike

Looks like a lightning strike pin to me too. Is there a big hole drilled in the back of the shaft? If so, it's probably a LS, and I bet the break is right where the hole ends if I had to guess. That worries me a little since I have two of them in my guns.

The old strikers were made out of tool steel and held up much better. They are now using MIM parts for their extractors and strikers.

FYI Tip: If you have any older Glocks keep the strikers and replace them with the newer ones.

Hate to disagree, but Glock strikers are machined; they've never been MIM'ed.

I have that on good authority from the other side of Atlanta....

And I don't believe that this is a Lightning Strike. I have several of their strikers and they are cut out on the rear of the firing pin lug. This one obviously isn't.

Edited by Braxton1

And I don't believe that this is a Lightning Strike. I have several of their strikers and they are cut out on the rear of the firing pin lug. This one obviously isn't.

FWEIW, this firing pin does not have holes or anything cut out of it. It appears totally stock. Thanx for everybody's input!

Good call Braxton. I guess the picture and the residue just gave it that gold tint. I'm relieved to hear that.