Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock sights on 9mm Pro 5" for IDPA/USPSA

coorsleftfield

I just picked up a M&P Pro 9mm 5" for dedicated IDPA/USPSA/Steel match use. Curious what people think of the factory rear sight and fiber-optic front ? Are you happy with them, or are most changing them out for POI reasons or others?

When I shot this gun at paper, the factory sights seem to be zeroed at 25 yards using the classic 6'oclock hold with the POI directory above the front sight. At ranges closer than 25 yards, the POI is directly behind the fiber optic. This is a bit different than I'm used to. Tempted to change sights so the traditional sigh picture is zeroed at 10-15 yards for IDPA.

My Pro shoots the same as yours. Eventhough the rest of my iron sighted pistols are sighted a little higher, I'm ok with it.

I replaced the fiber in my front sight with a smaller one, and replaced the all-black, rear sight with one from a standard MP, that has the white dots.

You might have a hard time finding a fiber optic that changed it by that little of an amount. But, "behind" thefront sights leaves a lot of explaining. Going from how mine shoots, at 10 yards, you are so close to an IDPA target that if you aimed at the middle, you'd still hit it in the low middle! I wouldn't mess with it if it were that close. IDPA is not bullseye shooting and you shouldn't be taking that long to aim precisely at close targets.

I just had a set of Dawson Precision Adjustable rear w/Red Fiber optic on the front. The green fiber optic that came with the gun was too big. And sometimes I shoot a different type/load and have a preference to shoot POI.

If you look through previous threads you will see a lot of people switch to these sights.

I just picked up a M&P Pro 9mm 5" for dedicated IDPA/USPSA/Steel match use. Curious what people think of the factory rear sight and fiber-optic front ? Are you happy with them, or are most changing them out for POI reasons or others?

I swapped mine out immediately, but nothing to do with POI...I just don't like FO. If I were a better shooter, had a coach or was more patient I'm sure it would have worked out well, but it was just too radical a departure from the picture I like to see. I don't 'get it' when it comes to having a big green flashlight in my eyes when I'm trying to find the sights. :)

Edited by Bongo Boy

When I shot this gun at paper, the factory sights seem to be zeroed at 25 yards using the classic 6'oclock hold with the POI directory above the front sight. At ranges closer than 25 yards, the POI is directly behind the fiber optic. This is a bit different than I'm used to. Tempted to change sights so the traditional sigh picture is zeroed at 10-15 yards for IDPA.

Your M&P shoots exactly how I like, and have all my pistols sighted in like this. I did however change my Pro sights, but not because I needed to change the POI, I did not care for the sights that came with it. The rear sight back angle makes a sharp turn that was uncomfortable on my arm when holstered, so it had to go. The front sight blade is angled and not serrated, so at certain positions in the sun, there was to much glare. I installed a set of Dawson Precision sights and all is good now.

I had a hard time seeing the green FO sight at a night match. I'm starting to think maybe a thin black FS is the way to go. Adjustable rear is probably overkill my use, because

I plan to constantly shoot the same load, and once you set windage it should never change.

I shot mine stock for a year and just picked up a second one. I put a Burwell rear and dawson fiber front on the new one. I like the serrations and smaller front in practice. First matches with them are this weekend.

all of ours have dawson adjustable target rear and red front F.O. (5 pro's)

also just a note dawson says use a .305 front on the 5" gun way to tall the 265 works great.

Edited by RWF

I wasn't sure about the factory Pro sights when I first got mine, but I ended up liking them after I gave them a shot. I've been using them for almost two years in IPSC, IDPA, and 3 Gun and haven't felt the need to replace them.

Anyone running the 10-8 rear on their M&P? That also looks like an interesting option

I replaced the factory rear night sight on my 9L with a 10-8 rear and it works well with the standard factory front night sight.

Edited by topgunpilot20

all of ours have dawson adjustable target rear and red front F.O. (5 pro's)

also just a note dawson says use a .305 front on the 5" gun way to tall the 265 works great.

this is good input, I have been reading about the pro shooting low with 115. Loaded 147 and 124 1.5 in high at 10-12 yds..........at 20 yds we were way high. Nice groups but high.......so I am about to order the dawsons. Anything we need to know about instal, issues etc?

• 1 month later...

Looks like I need a .265 from Dawson. I ordered their adjustable rear for my 9 mm Pro and they said the .305 was "required for the long slide M&Ps". Guess I don't understand why a longer slide needs a taller sight if everything else is the same? But hey, they are the experts and I have had good results with their sights on other pistols.

Anyway, I installed them and the back sight is run up so high that I can see daylight under it when shooting, very distracting. The front sight looks goofy. Hope the .265 brings back some sanity......

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to calling Dawson about my .305 front sight. They asked for some measurements, how low it shot with the rear sight elevation up from bottom 6-7 clicks, etc. Sent the details, they sent me a .265 front at no charge since I bought the sights from them. Good service, works and looks like it should now.

• 3 weeks later...

I've shot both the Sevigny and Dawson and prefer the Sevigny. Both are great sights, but it's the little things for me. Dawson's are sharp and will rust , the metal is also a bit soft. The improvment I would like to see with the Sevigny is a longer front sight (more exposed fiber) and a recess on the front hole to hold the fiber in place without balloning it, a minor issue. I prefer the sight picture on the Sevigny.

Dawson is a great company though and a great supporter of our sport.

Edited by Tul9033